Author Topic: NH GOP to end lunch breaks  (Read 5728 times)

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
NH GOP to end lunch breaks
« on: February 09, 2012, 09:38:41 pm »
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/02/09/new-hampshire-republican-proposes-end-to-lunch-break-law/#.TzRS_qbJ9VU.facebook

A Republican State Representative in New Hampshire has found a way to create a new front in the war on workers, proposing a bill that would repeal the state’s law requiring that workers get a 30-minute lunch break after five hours of labor.

State Rep. J.R. Hoell (R), a supporter of libertarian-leaning Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX) for president, told a New Hampshire General Court committee this week that he believes the law is unnecessary because it is in employers’ interest to treat workers well, according to The Concord Monitor.

His argument was seconded by state Rep. Kyle Jones (R), a 20-year-old Ron Paul backer who earned a seat in the New Hampshire General Court during the last election as part of a mother-son candidate slate. Jones said that his days working as a shift supervisor at Burger King taught him that employers will always treat employees well because human resources departments require it.

Almost needless to say, New Hampshire lawmakers were not impressed with the bill, and Mark MacKenzie, the state’s AFL-CIO president, practically eviscerated the pair.

Because workers are productive when they are hungry and tired!  ::)
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
Re: NH GOP to end lunch breaks
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 09:43:39 pm »
BACK TO WORK, PEASANT!

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 09:49:51 pm »
HOME STATE. STOP PRODUCING IDIOTS.

Thank you, that is all.

Offline MaybeNever

• Got His Red Wings
  • Pope
  • Possessed of a proclivity for prolixity
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 09:53:43 pm »
It is definitely in employers' interest to treat employees well. However, it is usually more profitable in the short-term to bend employees over and give the CEO a five million dollar yearly salary.
"Great Britain's two most senior military officers added to the uneasiness. [...] Lord Wolseley, Adjutant General, thought that it might be possible for an enemy to invade without waiters and pastrycooks."
-Robert K. Massie, Dreadnought

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 09:55:14 pm »
If they want to eat they should have gotten a different job or employer!</sociopath>
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 09:59:57 pm »
Wow...that won't backfire at all.

Without this law, these morons really think employers would give their employees lunch hours?  All signs point to no.

Ironbite-cause it wouldn't be profitable.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 10:12:37 pm »
If the employers think it is in their best interest to treat employees well, please explain the existence of sweatshops.
-A Pen Name

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 10:14:31 pm »
But... but... sweatshops are communist inventions!
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline The Bright Angel

• Apprentice
  • Just Your typical Bi possible Trans kid (not sure)
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 05:04:17 am »
Can't someone ask for a recall for this moron? This bill is retarded. Are they serious about this bill?
"Can you imagine on judgement day, when God tells you your wife was secretly a lesbian who liked you but never really loved you. That she wasn't your soul-mate after all. Better if both of you were free to find your true love."-Evil Roy Slick of Yahoo News

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 10:10:51 am »

Without this law, these morons really think employers would give their employees lunch hours?  All signs point to no.

Wal-Mart already refuses to give you lunch hours unless you specifically go to your employer and beg ask for them.  And you have to do this every day or stop getting lunch breaks.  Even if you work a 16-hour shift.

Sam Walton is rolling in his grave.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 10:13:29 am »

Wal-Mart already refuses to give you lunch hours unless you specifically go to your employer and beg ask for them.  And you have to do this every day or stop getting lunch breaks.  Even if you work a 16-hour shift.
Is this somehow legal?
-A Pen Name

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 11:52:08 am »
Yes, because in some states workers are not required to take their lunch breaks.  So your employer can try and guilt you into not taking them.  That or make it hard for you to get them.

...and yes Sam is rolling in his grave!
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 12:41:10 pm »
You know how many times at work I'd have to miss lunch because things are "too busy" or "no one is available to cover yours break!" I thank god every day they could be fined if they don't let us eat.

They can go fuck themselves.

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 05:25:40 pm »

Sam Walton is rolling in his grave.

Didn't refuse me my lunch break.  Had me clock out to take it but never refused it.

Ironbite-honestly though I've never heard of this.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 05:29:24 pm »
When I worked at Wal-Mart, they'd actually reprimand you for not taking your breaks, even the paid ones.