Author Topic: 2014 American Midterm Election Thread  (Read 28574 times)

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
Re: 2014 American Midterm Election Thread
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2014, 01:22:18 am »
As my mother put it, "Democrats couldn't keep hold of their dicks if they had superglued them to their hands."

Harsh, but true. They are as much to blame as the Koch brothers for the election of obstructionist partisan pro-gridlock Republicans by a country tired of partisanship and gridlock.

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2014, 01:31:53 am »
Although even given all of this information, I can't fathom how the voters of Maine were ignorant enough to reelect Paul LePage, an incumbent who has done literally nothing except rant about the outdated and irrelevant demons of "welfare fraud," talk shit about unions, spread wild conspiracy theories about Obama's "war on whites" and climate change being a fraud, and just generally being a disgrace to the state. He's proven himself to be a demagogue with no leadership abilities whatsoever. Even Rick Perry is a better governor than LePage.

Unless rural Maine can be described as a chunk of Mississippi that broke off, I'm stumped by this.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 01:35:24 am by mythbuster43 »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2014, 03:27:19 am »
Simple:

People are gullible idiots.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2014, 04:43:04 am »
-Spuki having a neurotic fit-

...Damn that reads like a psychotic break in progress.

Has SpukiKitty gone on these kinds of...episodes...often? I mean, it sounds serious. Age of Aquarius? Dwapara Yuga? What the heck is all of this New Age woo?
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2014, 04:44:26 am »
And . . . with Scott, Bondi, and Crenshaw (among other R's) still in office, FL continues to remain in the stone age.  I believe though that, with so many people voting NPA, that the Dems shot themselves in the foot by backing Crist.  Whether he was sincere or not, too many people did not trust him, even if they hate Scott.  And it was just enough to sway votes in Scott's favor.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 04:49:19 am by Vypernight »
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2014, 07:17:10 am »
I checked Virginia results this morning and Warner barely won. Whew, that was terrifying.

Since the GOP has Senate control now, I suspect we'll see more of the same old getting absolutely nothing done. Good job, America.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2014, 07:19:23 am »
Yeah Warner won.  Barely and there will be a recount but he won.

Ironbite-shame about Comstock getting in.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2014, 08:16:35 am »
Given the choice between Republican-lite and Republican, is it a surprise people decided to go full Republican?

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2014, 09:47:35 am »
As far as I can tell, the only Democrats who won in Virginia were incumbents. And don't think Warner's seat is completely safe; the margin of victory was narrow enough to potentially allow a recount.

Regarding the choice between Republican and Republican-lite, I will remind you that the "Republican-lite" Bill Clinton managed to beat Republicans twice. Not that he managed to avoid government shutdowns and impeachment threats by being a centrist, mind you.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 09:49:56 am by Random Guy »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2014, 09:52:39 am »
As far as I can tell, the only Democrats who won in Virginia were incumbents. And don't think Warner's seat is completely safe; the margin of victory was narrow enough to potentially allow a recount.

Regarding the choice between Republican and Republican-lite, I will remind you that the "Republican-lite" Bill Clinton managed to beat Republicans twice. Not that he managed to avoid government shutdowns and impeachment threats by being a centrist, mind you.

True, but one has to remember the fact that Bush and Dole both also had to contend with Ross Perot.  On the other hand, I think his influence has been overestimated.

Offline Nemo

• Pope
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2014, 11:04:33 am »

True, but one has to remember the fact that Bush and Dole both also had to contend with Ross Perot.  On the other hand, I think his influence has been overestimated.
I suspect that Ross Perot is, if not the reason, at least an explanation, of why the Republicans are further from center. Conservatives proved with Perot that they would be willing to split the vote and screw their party if that's what it took to make the Republicans more ideologically pure. American progressives, by contrast, can get easily excited, but don't often stay committed to making change. Look at the Occupy Wall Street, the Coffee Party, etc.
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2014, 12:42:21 pm »
Conservatives proved with Perot that they would be willing to split the vote and screw their party if that's what it took to make the Republicans more ideologically pure.

Pretty much exactly what I've been saying progressives need to do. If they voted en masse outside the Democratic party and made them lose a few high-profile elections, the Democrats would come crawling to their platform.

American progressives, by contrast, can get easily excited, but don't often stay committed to making change. Look at the Occupy Wall Street, the Coffee Party, etc.

You can't ignore the fact that police brutalize left-wing protesters as often as possible while leaving right-wing protests alone. Cliven Bundy and his pals were able to aim guns at federal officials and they got off scot-free, but OWS regularly got faces full of pepper spray and mass arrests for standing around.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2014, 12:56:46 pm »
Well'p,  GA's still red as blood and probably will be forever.  And now, I go on with my life because both sides suck and politicians lie.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2014, 01:04:51 pm »
Conservatives proved with Perot that they would be willing to split the vote and screw their party if that's what it took to make the Republicans more ideologically pure.

Pretty much exactly what I've been saying progressives need to do. If they voted en masse outside the Democratic party and made them lose a few high-profile elections, the Democrats would come crawling to their platform.

That did happen once when Nader ran in 2000, but I don't recall it getting the Democrats to be more progressive or anything.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2014, 01:44:47 pm »

That did happen once when Nader ran in 2000, but I don't recall it getting the Democrats to be more progressive or anything.

That's because not enough progressives did it. If Bush had won a landslide election in 2000 because of a split vote between Gore and Nader, Democrats would've started paying attention.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.