Author Topic: Jim Henson Company severs relationship with Chik-Fil-A  (Read 8671 times)

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
Re: Jim Henson Company severs relationship with Chik-Fil-A
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 03:53:24 pm »

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2012, 08:06:01 pm »
Ah-hem........MIZ!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vxiQ9JCKvE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vxiQ9JCKvE</a>

Ironbite-now that's better.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, 09:25:29 pm »

HAHAHAHAHA

Whoever made that image I want to shake their hand and buy them a beer!

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2012, 02:03:26 am »
Also:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/chick-fil-a-gets-caught-pretending-to-be-a-teenage

You would think that with the people of 4chan running around they would know better than to try stunts like this. Hell those 4chan people are better at tracking people down that the police, and they cant be the only ones who dig up background info on people.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2012, 09:39:11 am »
Also:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/chick-fil-a-gets-caught-pretending-to-be-a-teenage

You would think that with the people of 4chan running around they would know better than to try stunts like this. Hell those 4chan people are better at tracking people down that the police, and they cant be the only ones who dig up background info on people.
You say that as though companies like this are used to being criticized for the things they say.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2012, 03:14:59 pm »
Yeah, Chik-Fil-A's coming out as homophobic isn't going over well at all.

I'm going to play devil's advocate and ask, "Is this legal?"  To ban a company from your city just because of its owners views?  Granted I don't know if the owner has performed actions against ssm, and if he has, then sure, ban him.  But I can't see banning him just for his views.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2012, 03:32:00 pm »
Also:
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/web05/2012/7/25/11/enhanced-buzz-11069-1343230481-26.jpg

"Those 4chan people" generally don't give a shit about viral marketers or anyone stupid enough to fall for them. They are not omnipotent internet vigilantes. They are a bunch of people who happen to use an imageboard.

You guys seem to think that marketing techniques like this are something uncommon. You would be sorely mistaken. Companies use tactics like this all the fucking time, on just about every major site you can think of. It's especially common on news sites, where half of the comments are likely to be bought and paid for by some financial corporation of political entity.

I'm going to play devil's advocate and ask, "Is this legal?"  To ban a company from your city just because of its owners views?  Granted I don't know if the owner has performed actions against ssm, and if he has, then sure, ban him.  But I can't see banning him just for his views.

Boston can't legally ban them from the city, but they can deny their building permits. Chick-fil-a can stand on the street and sell their chicken sandwiches all they want. They just can't build a restaurant without the city approving their permits.

Distind

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, 04:03:51 pm »
Boston can't legally ban them from the city, but they can deny their building permits. Chick-fil-a can stand on the street and sell their chicken sandwiches all they want. They just can't build a restaurant without the city approving their permits.

Always good to remember that "Because they pissed me off" is pretty much a valid reason to deny someone a building permit unless a court case is pushed against it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 04:05:28 pm by Distind »

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2012, 04:31:54 pm »

Boston cannot ban CFA from the city, but that is not what the mayor is doing. He is trying to keep them out of a certain district of the city.

Government restrictions on speech are subject to a "time-place-manner" test and restrictions must be content-neutral. If there is no time/place/manner in which you can act, this is a violation of the First Amendment. Governments can, however, ban speech in certain times/locations/manners. (i.e. "you cannot protest with any noise within 30 feet of the courthouse." Under that ordinance, you could protest vocally 31 feet from the courthouse, or you could protest 5 feet from the courthouse if you did so silently.) Government restrictions on speech must also be content-neutral. (i.e. "No political campaigning within 100 feet of a polling place." This is valid since it limits ALL political campaigning, and gives a location where such campaigning could be done. Contrast "No anti-war protests within 100 feet of a polling place.")

Boston keeping CFA out of a certain district is perfectly valid under time/space/manner, since there are other places they could go. I am not sure about the content-neutral restriction. Saying "CFA cannot set up a store here because they are anti-gay" would not be content neutral, especially if other fast-food places were allowed in that district.

(There are ways governments can restrict corporate speech. I need to look up those limits since I cannot remember them. That may have an impact on how constitutional Boston's actions would be.)
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2012, 05:22:18 pm »
Usually there is an enabling statute which describes when permits are to be issued or denied.  Or at least there is supposed to be one, otherwise it is just standardless discretion.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2012, 12:59:26 pm »
To quote Winchester from M*A*S*H....

"Gentlemen, Boston would have banned Pinnochio."

Aren't they generally known for banning a lot of things?

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2012, 02:42:19 pm »
Looks like Philly is following suit.

I love watching bigotry bite people in the ass.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2012, 05:07:51 am »

Boston cannot ban CFA from the city, but that is not what the mayor is doing. He is trying to keep them out of a certain district of the city.

Government restrictions on speech are subject to a "time-place-manner" test and restrictions must be content-neutral. If there is no time/place/manner in which you can act, this is a violation of the First Amendment. Governments can, however, ban speech in certain times/locations/manners. (i.e. "you cannot protest with any noise within 30 feet of the courthouse." Under that ordinance, you could protest vocally 31 feet from the courthouse, or you could protest 5 feet from the courthouse if you did so silently.) Government restrictions on speech must also be content-neutral. (i.e. "No political campaigning within 100 feet of a polling place." This is valid since it limits ALL political campaigning, and gives a location where such campaigning could be done. Contrast "No anti-war protests within 100 feet of a polling place.")

Boston keeping CFA out of a certain district is perfectly valid under time/space/manner, since there are other places they could go. I am not sure about the content-neutral restriction. Saying "CFA cannot set up a store here because they are anti-gay" would not be content neutral, especially if other fast-food places were allowed in that district.

(There are ways governments can restrict corporate speech. I need to look up those limits since I cannot remember them. That may have an impact on how constitutional Boston's actions would be.)

Playing devil's advocate again, but would the mayor also be in his right if he denied it because the owner supported SSM?
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"