Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1505916 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #2430 on: May 05, 2013, 10:12:14 pm »
So I was thinking of getting a Steam prepaid card next week to celebrate me moving on from the 10th grade any suggestions on what games I should get with the extra $50 in my Steam wallet?
If you're getting that card sometime in the next 14 hours, Spec Ops: The Line is 75% off. It's quite a fantastic game.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2431 on: May 05, 2013, 10:17:13 pm »
So I was thinking of getting a Steam prepaid card next week to celebrate me moving on from the 10th grade any suggestions on what games I should get with the extra $50 in my Steam wallet?
If you're getting that card sometime in the next 14 hours, Spec Ops: The Line is 75% off. It's quite a fantastic game.

Just...be careful.  Its an excellent game, yes, but uh...lemme put it this way, I've only ever seen other people play it, and it still managed to freaking traumatize me.  I can deal with some dark shit, but that...I have never encountered anything as brutally honest as that game.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #2432 on: May 05, 2013, 11:56:16 pm »
Its a good game for story, boring for gameplay. Very...very boring
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2433 on: May 06, 2013, 01:58:54 am »
I know I've seen the white phosphorus scene...I still have nightmares.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2434 on: May 07, 2013, 12:33:50 am »
Its one of those things you'd feel bad for spoiling, but at the same time...you kinda wanna warn other prospective new players about...
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2435 on: May 07, 2013, 12:40:23 am »
Its one of those things you'd feel bad for spoiling, but at the same time...you kinda wanna warn other prospective new players about...
I don't. The whole point of the game is to have the player think they're playing just another generic modern military shooter, with all the expectations thereof being slowly picked at and then utterly shattered by that one scene. If the player isn't expecting another 3rd rate Call of Duty clone, the effect is ruined.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2436 on: May 07, 2013, 10:51:49 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9cMRDLJSPg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9cMRDLJSPg</a>

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #2437 on: May 07, 2013, 12:09:29 pm »
I'm not really traumatized by Spec Ops but it did make me very somber while I was playing. And yeah, the gameplay is pretty dull. I feel like it's more of an interactive movie.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2438 on: May 07, 2013, 12:39:28 pm »
I don't. The whole point of the game is to have the player think they're playing just another generic modern military shooter, with all the expectations thereof being slowly picked at and then utterly shattered by that one scene. If the player isn't expecting another 3rd rate Call of Duty clone, the effect is ruined.

Unfortunately, I think the effect's been ruined by this point. The game has had enough exposure and reviews to clue in prospective buyers that it's meant to have that kind of storyline. The only ones who are going to pick it up thinking it's a generic military shooter right now are the ones who never pay attention to gaming media, websites, or reviewers.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2439 on: May 08, 2013, 02:31:56 am »

Unfortunately, I think the effect's been ruined by this point. The game has had enough exposure and reviews to clue in prospective buyers that it's meant to have that kind of storyline. The only ones who are going to pick it up thinking it's a generic military shooter right now are the ones who never pay attention to gaming media, websites, or reviewers.

True, but what are you going to do?

Anyway, just started another play through of Zelda: Wind Waker. Man, it really makes me miss the days when Nintendo consoles were actually good. None of this motion control garbage.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 04:43:05 am by Art Vandelay »

Saturn500

« Reply #2440 on: May 08, 2013, 06:57:42 am »
And that reminds me of how the 3DS has a gyroscope none of the games for it bother to use.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2441 on: May 08, 2013, 10:16:57 am »
And that reminds me of how the 3DS has a gyroscope none of the games for it bother to use.
Luigi's Mansion.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2442 on: May 08, 2013, 01:16:24 pm »
Mario Kart 7.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #2443 on: May 08, 2013, 01:21:21 pm »

True, but what are you going to do?

Anyway, just started another play through of Zelda: Wind Waker. Man, it really makes me miss the days when Nintendo consoles were actually good. None of this motion control garbage.

They're redoing Wind Waker on the Wii U. Basically a graphics rehaul.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2444 on: May 08, 2013, 04:16:05 pm »
I think it's a bit more in depth than that (since as I recall, Miyamoto was not satisfied with the game when it was released, and there were several features cut because of the deadline) but I don't know for sure.  They might be expanding the game or it could be a mere graphical upgrade.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 04:17:39 pm by Magus Silveresti »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet