Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1505822 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #2850 on: July 16, 2013, 09:37:00 pm »
So I was looking through my files and found the document that listed all of the "plugins" (read: mods and DLC) I had for Fallout: New Vegas at the time of uninstallation.

This is a good example of just how much crap you can shove into the game. Keep in mind that a lot of people have even more than I do.

(click to show/hide)

That's quite a list. How stable was your game with all those mods installed?

No less stable than New Vegas is already (read: not very). Generally you'll never get the chance to see a mod conflict in action because if you don't sort out the load order (they have tools for that and virtually everyone uses them, thankfully), the game won't even make it five seconds past startup without crashing. Many of the popular mods, like Project: Nevada and Weapon Mods Expanded, include patches (or other mods make patches specifically for them) so they can work together.

Thanks to the Nexus (like New Vegas Nexus and Fallout 3 Nexus), all of the Bethesda RPGs have a site loaded down with mods. I use Oblivion Nexus to get stuff for The Elder Scrolls IV, for instance. It's got nearly as much content.

By the way, for anyone wanting to pick up New Vegas: grab it with all the DLC. You can pick up the Ultimate Edition (which has literally all DLC, including the pre-order starting equipment and Gun Runner's Arsenal) for $20 now. It adds way, way more content than you'd imagine that to be worth and you'll be much happier if you splurge slightly for the complete package. You will literally not run out of things to do, especially if you get modded quests. It's also important for modding, since there are many good and interesting mods that require some or all DLC to work.

Edit: Forgot to mention, there's some very good HD mods to pick up if your computer can handle them. New Vegas isn't ugly by any means, but the HD textures turn it into something else entirely. Millenia is a modder that mainly does HD custom guns (his most recent being an L96A1 and a Beretta 92FS), but he's most well known for his Weapon Retexture Project, which gives perfect HD textures (often taken from photographs of actual firearms) to the guns. Then there's NMC's Texture Pack, for stuff like roads, buildings, and large objects.  Wasteland Flora Overhaul adds a ton of plants to the wasteland (along with being pretty, this is actually accurate; there can't be dead grass and trees if there weren't recently alive trees, not 200 years after the nuclear apocalypse), and Nevada Skies is THE weather mod period.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 09:49:05 pm by chitoryu12 »
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2851 on: July 16, 2013, 09:48:04 pm »
See I'm having problems getting Project Nevada to work.  Some of the stuff works but not everything.  I use the Mod Manager the Nexus has and it says for me to download a script extender but I can't get it to work.  Any advice?

Ironbite-I run the game through Steam and I'm on Windows 8.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2852 on: July 16, 2013, 09:50:50 pm »
See I'm having problems getting Project Nevada to work.  Some of the stuff works but not everything.  I use the Mod Manager the Nexus has and it says for me to download a script extender but I can't get it to work.  Any advice?

Ironbite-I run the game through Steam and I'm on Windows 8.

I believe they mean the New Vegas Script Extender, which a ton of mods use to (as it says) extend the scripting possibilities of the gmae. I run it without Steam, but all I had to do was drop all the files in the RAR into my main New Vegas folder and we're all good. The Fallout Mod Manager, when you click Launch, actually launches the NVSE to start the game.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #2853 on: July 16, 2013, 09:52:50 pm »
Hmmm...gonna have to try getting the game out of Steam to play it as well as find the folder it created.

Ironbite-...also pick up DLC for New Vegas.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2854 on: July 16, 2013, 09:56:06 pm »
Hmmm...gonna have to try getting the game out of Steam to play it as well as find the folder it created.

Ironbite-...also pick up DLC for New Vegas.

On Steam, the folder should be found by going to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps and then going to either the common folder or the one with your account name on it; I think games installed from a CD go to common, while games bought digitally on your account go to the other one. It should be right in there.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2855 on: July 16, 2013, 10:01:24 pm »
So the things I've bought during the Steam Summer Sale are...

Psychonauts
Bully: Scholarship Edition
Skyrim Hearthfire

This, in addition to the 360 wired controller I bought, is pretty much all I plan to get at this time, and has more or less dealt with the budget I allocated for the summer sale.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #2856 on: July 16, 2013, 10:03:37 pm »
Did that and can only find TF2 in there.

Ironbite-hmmm....now where could New Vegas be found...AH-HAH!

ETA: Found the folder.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #2857 on: July 16, 2013, 10:05:38 pm »
I got super meat boy And shogun 2.

...not that impressed with shogun 2. Still a fan of medieval 2, napoleon and rome. Would love empire total war if the optimization wasnt horrible
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2858 on: July 16, 2013, 10:16:33 pm »
I got super meat boy And shogun 2.

...not that impressed with shogun 2. Still a fan of medieval 2, napoleon and rome. Would love empire total war if the optimization wasnt horrible

My computer's pretty crappy, but it runs Empire well unless something ridiculous is happening on screen.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #2859 on: July 16, 2013, 10:23:15 pm »
And I still can't get all of Project Nevada to work right.

Ironbite-shame...I really want those HUD changes.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #2860 on: July 16, 2013, 10:24:05 pm »
Napoleon actually runs better than empire, even on higher settings, its bloody frustrating
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2861 on: July 16, 2013, 10:39:14 pm »
Napoleon actually runs better than empire, even on higher settings, its bloody frustrating

I downloaded a graphics overhaul for Morrowind that made it look better.  It was still sub-Oblivion graphics, though.  It chugs down this new computer hard.

I play Skyrim which has more polygons and such and runs... fairly well.  Except I was experiencing framerate drops of mega proportions near Dawnstar.  I think computers hate snow.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #2862 on: July 16, 2013, 11:15:12 pm »
It really bugs me when a game look and runs better than its predecessor, makes me want to go pimp slap a developer. Although its probably more complicated, someone needs a slapping

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2863 on: July 16, 2013, 11:47:56 pm »
I think it has to do with the fact that Morrowind and Oblivion can only access so much core power (single core, IIRC) whereas Skyrim can access more than one core (though it experiences fatal crashes if it has to use over 3.1 GB of RAM for some reason)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2864 on: July 17, 2013, 12:36:26 am »
I've had New Vegas uninstalled for maybe 2 months (for quite good reasons), and I'm already itching to put it back on.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwlYo8EYTWI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwlYo8EYTWI</a>