Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1507646 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #3780 on: December 01, 2013, 03:18:29 am »
Yeah, back when I played WoW I had some good guilds where it was fun just being part of the group and chatting while we played.

My other experiences with that game were NOT so good and since I played on different servers from time to time I do have to admit that if you don't find a good guild or friends to play with the gaming experience is not nearly as enjoyable.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3781 on: December 01, 2013, 09:12:02 am »
Okay, this might sound a bit "Duh?" but...

Are there any MMORPGs that are good for socializing?

It just seems lately that people in MMOs are concerned more about power-gaming and min-maxing their gear and characters, to the point where people are forced to adopt this mindset just to catch up with other people.

I just want an MMORPG where I can actually socialize naturally instead of having to hop in a party, rush through the quest, wham bam thank you ma'am.

Though I do want it to be an actual game, not just a life simulator.

I guess I'm asking for an oxymoron, huh?

Guild Wars 2 is the closest to your ideal, methinks.  The gameplay style itself leads to large-scale cooperation, even when players aren't in parties...those are mostly for story quests and dungeons, as well as unit coordination for particularly large events, as you're aware of your party members' locations, even if they're on the opposite side of the world from you.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #3782 on: December 01, 2013, 10:26:14 am »
I can't really bring myself to heckle Mordin for his work on the genophage, though, in part because I watched his sacrifice on Tuchanka in 3. The first time around, his "it was necessary/for the greater good" rhetoric seemed like blame shifting or even victim blaming (depending on whether you see the krogan as instigators or, y'know, victims).

As the biggest fanboy of the krogan... can't it be both?  Yeah, they were the instigators, but they were also the victims (genocide is not an appropriate response, after all).

Considering Mordin's actions and behavior in Mass Effect 3, I think it's safe to say that his "It was necessary" and "It was for the greater good" speeches were a mantra to try to get past his guilt... and it didn't work.

Actually I've read some pretty good theories about that and judging from the alternate endings, unless two particular Krogan are alive at the end they go right back to being the invading barbarian horde. Can two people change an entire species?

...And does that mean that the change is permanent? Would the Krogans go back to their destructive (for themselves and everyone around them) ways as soon as those two people are dead (wether from natural causes or killed by the bloodthirsty Krogans who wish to end the peace so that they take over and go back to being "real Krogans.")

Or does it mean that there could be other more peaceful Krogans like them if only they would have a chance to get in positions of power? I think that choice is pretty vague on purpose. It's not like the Salarians are much better allies, what with their constant treachery and scheming they do with everyone which does backfire quite often.
(click to show/hide)

EDIT TO ADD:
And yeah, Miranda was built as the "perfect human" or at least "perfect according to the specifications" of her "father." Grunt was built to be the "perfect Krogan." Clearly they had different definition of "perfect" but they are of different species as well.
To be fair Wrex really is unkillable I mean the only other Krogan who took down a Thresher Maw on foot was Grunt.  Honestly Wrex managed to keep the Krogan in line and protect the few fertile females so yeah

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3783 on: December 01, 2013, 02:02:49 pm »
Okay, this might sound a bit "Duh?" but...

Are there any MMORPGs that are good for socializing?

It just seems lately that people in MMOs are concerned more about power-gaming and min-maxing their gear and characters, to the point where people are forced to adopt this mindset just to catch up with other people.

I just want an MMORPG where I can actually socialize naturally instead of having to hop in a party, rush through the quest, wham bam thank you ma'am.

Though I do want it to be an actual game, not just a life simulator.

I guess I'm asking for an oxymoron, huh?

Guild Wars 2 is the closest to your ideal, methinks.  The gameplay style itself leads to large-scale cooperation, even when players aren't in parties...those are mostly for story quests and dungeons, as well as unit coordination for particularly large events, as you're aware of your party members' locations, even if they're on the opposite side of the world from you.

Alrighty, sounds great.  Now I just need to find the fifty bucks to buy the game.

At least there's no monthly fees...

Does Guild Wars 2 have much to offer for people who are not fans of PVP, though?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3784 on: December 01, 2013, 02:27:14 pm »
If you use face capturing technology at a time where it isn't exactly perfected there are bound to be issues. As well as glitches with the technology itself during certain parts of the game.

There's also the fact that apparently she wasn't good enough as people decided to only think of her as the chick with the ass and the buckteeth. She was modeled on Yvonne Strahovski. And there was more to the character than just tits and ass but alas... Regardless we know damn well that even though she was designed to be perfect she was far from it. We can see this from how she wasn't that great of a sentinel. And if you were perfect with your biotics you wouldn't need a runt like Jack would you? But we all know how I feel about the people that everyone seems to insult and mistake.

Personally I had no problems but that's me. I got an uncanny valley feeling for most of the game but beyond that...

As for the genophage, there is also the fact that the krogan have taken some pretty hefty losses. If not from killing each other then from helping with Palaven and being experimented on and having the Reapers turn them into amalgamations. Wrex is the key. If you have no Wrex through whatever reasons (you killed him after sabotaging the cure or he was killed on Virmire) then it's pretty clear that with Wreav at the helm the galaxy goes back to how it had been before the rachni. Depending on your choice of ending, anyways.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3785 on: December 01, 2013, 02:56:56 pm »
I liked Miranda and her character is complex so I don't get how people only judge her by her appearance.

She has her history, which is a bit more complicated than "daddy issue", she is struggling to protect her sister and she is the pragmatic balance to Jacobs idealism. In fact, I think much of her pragmatism comes from her upringing and the struggles she faced while on the run from her father.

Actually Miranda and Jack have some similarities. Both had their childhood taken from them and used by a powerful person/organisation as a tool. (Let's face it Miranda's dad saw her a his "property.") Both went on the run at a young age and did what they had to in order to survive. Two big differences are that a) Miranda got taken in by the Cerberus while Jack was on the run FROM them. Had Jack been on the run from a different group Cerberus might have recruited her and she could have been quite willing to join them. And b) Miranda got proper education while Jack didn't which is propably a major reason for her becoming a criminal as a means of survival.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3786 on: December 01, 2013, 03:19:20 pm »
I actually saw someone describe Jack as "If you take away her biotics, she's just another whiny emo teen."

I facepalmed.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #3787 on: December 01, 2013, 03:21:44 pm »
 I like Jack Sensei.  Seriously although in ME3 I do wish there were more proper side quests ME2 had some but it would have been nice to have missions to extract.  Also no the closest to a whiny teen is Tali which makes sense since she is a lot younger then the rest of the squad (Quarians have similar lifespans to humans so she looks mid 20s at most

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3788 on: December 01, 2013, 03:25:54 pm »
...You do realize Tali and Jack are the same age, right?

They're both 25 by the time of ME3.

Miranda Lawson is 4 years older than Shepard, who is 32 at the time of ME3. Making Miranda 36 (same as Kaidan I think). Ash is 28. Kasumi is 26.

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3789 on: December 01, 2013, 03:32:00 pm »
Speaking of this, I'm wondering if I should made my Shepard a Sentinel instead of an Engineer.

I have absolutely no points invested in Pistol at all... but then again, it's nice to have all that an Engineer has to offer.

I could make him a Sentinel for ME2, I think... I dunno, I kinda like the drone though.

EDIT:

So I'm doing sidequests and I come upon an Omni Tool named...

"VI"

...That's literally it.  Just the Roman Numeral for 6... or the in-game term for "Virtual Intelligence".

So... what.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 04:14:45 pm by Magus Silveresti »

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #3790 on: December 01, 2013, 04:37:40 pm »
Oh really?  well she was a child by the standards of her tribe till the end of ME

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3791 on: December 01, 2013, 04:56:53 pm »
It was the time of her pilgrimage that doesn't necessarily translate to just being a child.
Speaking of this, I'm wondering if I should made my Shepard a Sentinel instead of an Engineer.

I have absolutely no points invested in Pistol at all... but then again, it's nice to have all that an Engineer has to offer.

I could make him a Sentinel for ME2, I think... I dunno, I kinda like the drone though.

EDIT:

So I'm doing sidequests and I come upon an Omni Tool named...

"VI"

...That's literally it.  Just the Roman Numeral for 6... or the in-game term for "Virtual Intelligence".

So... what.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Omni-tools#Omni-tool_Models

&

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #3792 on: December 01, 2013, 05:39:50 pm »
Also I have 2 issues with Bioshock 1 the Vox which is compllicated
2 the combat fuck 2 weapon rules

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3793 on: December 01, 2013, 06:44:35 pm »
Thanks Booker.  I had a feeling it was something like that.

Also I keep wanting to call you Shepard again XD

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3794 on: December 01, 2013, 07:10:04 pm »
I'm always Shepard in your heart if you want me to be. :P

But you're welcome.

&