Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1507921 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #4080 on: January 15, 2014, 11:52:22 am »
Dead Money is a wonderfully atmospheric game that's actually pretty scare.  Especially seeing as how you have NO AMMO AT ALL FOR ANY FUCKING GUN YOU HAVE BECAUSE THEY TAKE IT ALL AWAY INCLUDING YOUR GOD DAMN OTHER WEAPONS AND ARMOR!

Ironbite-AND YOUR STIMPACKS!

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #4081 on: January 15, 2014, 12:05:35 pm »
Day-Z is suprisingly tense and scary, but that has nothign to do with the zombies.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4082 on: January 15, 2014, 07:08:06 pm »
Dead Money is a wonderfully atmospheric game that's actually pretty scare.  Especially seeing as how you have NO AMMO AT ALL FOR ANY FUCKING GUN YOU HAVE BECAUSE THEY TAKE IT ALL AWAY INCLUDING YOUR GOD DAMN OTHER WEAPONS AND ARMOR!

Ironbite-AND YOUR STIMPACKS!

I've currently got a save going on Dead Money with a number of realism mods. The only concession I made was giving myself my backpack (which is a mod that actually functions like a real backpack, rather than just increasing carrying weight) because I was trying to do a "sensible inventory" challenge where you don't have a ton of gear stuffed in an invisible pocket dimension behind your back and it's downright impossible to carry more than a few items without a backpack, even the clothing and armor that has the most pockets.

Otherwise I'd be restricted to a handful of drugs and just enough ammo to get through the next fight.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #4083 on: January 17, 2014, 07:28:31 am »
I now have radio station mods for both Fallout 3 and New Vegas. And I plan on implementing one of those big-ass add a bunch of shit to the game mods after I finish this playthru of New Vegas. (It's the World of Pain mod)

I've used that one for a spell. It really does add a ton of content, more than you'll probably ever finish (hell, I'm not sure how many people have even found everything in the base game; I'm still discovering new quests and locations). Only real flaw is that as far as I can see, none of the added NPCs have voice acting. Also, keep in mind that it's not necessarily meant for new characters even though there's a new location along the road out of Goodsprings that seems tailor-made for your quests; you may want to earn one or two more levels than usual before starting on it.

1) The mod description says that it isn't voice-acted. I don't mind because I tend to read faster than the voice actors can talk anyways. And since most dialogue is skippable, I tend not to hear most of an NPC's voice anyways.
2) I'm only saving it for a new file because this one is my 'get acclimated to playing this game on PC and being able to add small mods' playthru. Not to mention the mod maker says that it's best to use a new save file so as not to throw anything out of place. I tend to take those suggestions seriously. If they felt they had to say it, then obviously there's a reason. You have to remember, while I'm an overall veteran of gaming, being able to play such games on PC and being able to use mods is a new experience for me so I want to not fuck anything up (more so than I would to begin with, anyhow). And I want to experience said mods as their makers intended.

With all of that said, I finished Old World Blues and I'm doing Lonesome Road. Yes, I'm doing shit out of order cause I haven't done Dead Money or Honest Hearts yet. But part of that is because I already played them on my 360 so I already knew what to expect and wanted to see the DLC I hadn't been able to play because I couldn't buy them at the time.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 07:30:16 am by The Master »

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #4084 on: January 17, 2014, 03:05:42 pm »
I made a poem!

Honest Hearts lead to Old World Blues but after you cash in Dead Money you can walk the Lonesome Road to get where you're going.

Ironbite-neat huh?

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4085 on: January 17, 2014, 03:09:03 pm »
That's not a poem, it's wordplay, you loser!

But you're right, it is neat :D
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #4086 on: January 17, 2014, 03:18:49 pm »
Also the order I"m doing the DLC in.

Ironbite-should be Level 50 at the end of Lonesome Road and then I...have the rest of the damn game to play.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4087 on: January 17, 2014, 06:34:55 pm »
Ah, sandbox games.

"Let's see, I've become the god of spellcasting, my werewolf form can tear a dragon in half with one arm tied behind his back, I've done favors for every daedra in the land, good or evil, and I assassinated the Emperor.  I think it's time to finally meet Hadvar in Riverwood."
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4088 on: January 17, 2014, 06:58:21 pm »
The Roleplayer's Alternate Start mod is brilliant for stuff like the DLC. I can legitimately start as a low-karma NCR deserter and roleplay Lonesome Road as my redemption when forced to confront someone who wants to simply destroy both sides.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #4089 on: January 17, 2014, 07:12:43 pm »
I might, might mind you, do that as another playthrough but I've got a backlog of games that I must slog through.

Ironbite-including the Saint Row games.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4090 on: January 17, 2014, 07:18:29 pm »
The Alternative Start mod is great for anyone interested in roleplaying. Along with letting you completely change your starting history to almost any that you could think of (the only starting occupation I have yet to find is, strangely, professional gambler), it all takes place in an empty shack with a computer and Vigor Tester, letting you skip the tedium of Doc Mitchell's character creation and get out into the wasteland much faster. And while you can choose to start in Goodsprings, you can let it choose one of dozens of locations around the Mojave to start in.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #4091 on: January 17, 2014, 07:28:26 pm »
All of which will....kill you.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4092 on: January 17, 2014, 07:31:50 pm »
All of which will....kill you.

Actually, I have yet to suffer this. The majority of the enemies are still scaled to your level (I once spawned just west of New Vegas and they were throwing the weakest mantises at me), so you'll be fine as long as you don't blindly wander toward deathclaw territory.

I also tend to play with more realistic damage values; while this does put me greatly in danger of dying from a few hits or even taking a one-hit kill, it also means that I can take out a Fiend many levels above me with one good shot.

Something I forgot to mention is that Alternative Start also spawns your character with appropriate gear for someone who's been traveling and surviving in the wasteland, so you're not just starting off with a pistol and a few caps and bobby pins. You can even spawn with power armor and training or an assault rifle depending on your character history.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #4093 on: January 17, 2014, 08:22:59 pm »
Which is why it's a good mod to go through.  Honestly, the only experience I have with it is watching Alchestbreach start his modded playthrough of New Vegas with it and he kept getting killed by Jackles near Wolfhorn Ranch.

Ironbite-still an interesting thing to do if you don't want to do a "normal" game of Fallout.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4094 on: January 17, 2014, 08:39:20 pm »
Besides, you can still start in Goodsprings if you want. In which case it just lets you start faster and with more starting equipment.