Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1507203 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #4860 on: September 04, 2014, 02:21:16 pm »
Holy shit Elite: Dangerous is so fucking cool, this is a game I never knew I really wanted but now I NEED IT

And of course, just as I was really getting into the game, the 1.04 hotfix completely fucks the game for me.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #4861 on: September 04, 2014, 05:22:22 pm »
A long list of things that just bug me in HL2.

You know, the Hunter-Chopper's role doesn't make much sense now that I reflect on it. It's the combine version of a attack helicopter, right?  Then why the hell doesn't it have weapons like air-to-surface missiles instead of highly ineffective timed explosives? Do the Combine not understand how guided missiles work or something? 

Because the civil protection does not get the good gear.

The CP guys have no cybernetics, they are still humans and therefore they don't get the good gear. The CP has pistols, MP7s, regular armoured cars and the attack helicopter. All of these are human technology that the Combine forces use, occasionally with small improvements. The real Combine troops get the Striders, hunters gunships and carriers that are all a mesh of living creatures and machines. Just like the combine trooper you see at the Nova Prospekt makes clear.

Grenades, MP7 and the Emplacements are used by the soldiers as well, if I recall correctly. So it's not exactly something of "Implanted" and "No implants" if they both use a lot of the same weapons. In essence, my thoughts on the situation is that the hierarchy is based on supply. The Combine has to wait for Synth base species to grow up and even their massive industrial complex is reliant on supply.

Therefore, Earth gets far less priority than previous holdings. Therefore, the Civil Protection on Earth have to make do with sub par equipment until they prove themselves to the Combine.

The seemingly random shuffling of people around the world has been mentioned in the games, and is apparently meant to destroy familial bonds and friendships and keep people disoriented and demoralized, as well as making it harder to form a resistance when you keep getting moved across nations and continents and have to either go with it or become one of the guys who gets hunted down.

Also, they have as many or more major combat UGVs as they do UAVs. What do you think the Striders and Hunters are?

When I say things like UAV or UGV, I mean a completely mechanical combat drone akin to the MQ Series. The Strider "species", being a cybernetic organism, doesn't exactly count. 
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4862 on: September 04, 2014, 08:16:49 pm »
When I say things like UAV or UGV, I mean a completely mechanical combat drone akin to the MQ Series. The Strider "species", being a cybernetic organism, doesn't exactly count.

Well, in that case the Combine literally has no UAVs except for the basic Scanners. Even the Shield Scanners (the bigger ones that drop Hopper mines) are visibly partially organic.

The cybernetic creatures like the Gunships, Striders, and Hunters are effectively autonomous drones anyway. They don't feed or exhibit much in the way of animal behavior outside of what's programmed into them, and they act entirely as robotic war machines with their own brain and programming.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4863 on: September 04, 2014, 08:36:32 pm »
Makes you wonder what the creatures that make the Striders and Hunters and whatnot looked like before the Combine conquered them and turned them into war machines.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4864 on: September 04, 2014, 10:20:07 pm »
And then I'm the one guy who has never played Half Life 2 nor beaten Half Life 1, so I only have a vague grasp of what everyone's talking about.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4865 on: September 05, 2014, 12:16:52 am »

Why would they bother with something like that when they have synths? They obviously do not care about individual lives so using living weapons/warmachines has no downsides to them and those are presumably better than mere drones since they do not use drones (apart from the flying blades that CP use.)

And I know that the Combine troopers also use some of the stuff humans have but it is clear that the BEST stuff is unavailable to the CP.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #4866 on: September 05, 2014, 12:28:55 am »
I made All Kamen Rider: Rider Generation 2 my bitch over the last couple days. Really easy and over a little too soon at times, but a great break time game.

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
« Reply #4867 on: September 05, 2014, 10:34:30 pm »

Why would they bother with something like that when they have synths? They obviously do not care about individual lives so using living weapons/warmachines has no downsides to them and those are presumably better than mere drones since they do not use drones (apart from the flying blades that CP use.)

And I know that the Combine troopers also use some of the stuff humans have but it is clear that the BEST stuff is unavailable to the CP.

If I recall correctly, the Hunter Chopper made up for it's lack of agility with a far more powerful arsenal that includes it's timed mine. Despite these being somewhat shitty against Gordon, they're quite effective against the Rebel's fortifications. In addition, the Chopper is crewed by Overwatch Soldiers which implies it's a cross service vehicle.

Now, let's compare it to it's supposed "Overwatch counterpart". The gunship is far more accurate with it's pulse cannon and has no other weapons that are used in game. It's less of a attack helicopter than a vehicle meant for accurate surgical strikes.

The APC isn't the Strider, by a long shot. That's because it's meant to serve a entirely different role in combat. It's not meant for directly engaging a large group in advance, it's used to deliver the Civil Protection to trouble spots so they can subdue a foe with ease.

The thing is, humans are valuable resources for them. The Combine needs us and other species to fuel the war machine, in order to continue their conquest. Thus, why they put so much effort into brutalizing us into complacence.  You think that they would give a shit about the blue mound of feces that is Earth otherwise?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 12:29:06 am by Second Coming of Madman »

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4868 on: September 06, 2014, 01:12:35 am »
The thing is, humans are valuable resources for them. The Combine needs us and other species to fuel the war machine, in order to continue their conquest. Thus, why they put so much effort into brutalizing us into complacence.  You think that they would give a shit about the blue mound of feces that is Earth otherwise?

a) Humans are a resource to them but concidering that they stopped humans from breeding (which would have created MORE humans for them to be used as a resource) they did not value it particularly high. The fact that they were using headcrabs and other terror weapons against the resistance means that most humans were expendable. All those population control methods could have been a temporary thing to keep humans from resisting while they were wiped out.

b) THEY WERE STEALING THE OCEANS! They were taking everything they concidered valuable and teleporting it offworld.

c) The reason why UAVs are used in our world is that they can 1) do things that live pilots can't. 2) are expendable compared to human pilots/soldiers. The Combine has UAV cababilities but they still rather use synths, so 1) Synths must be better or they would use UAVs instead. 2) They do not care about the life of a pilot/synth, while the death of a soldier in Earth countries might demoralize the civilians at home the Combine does not care about individuals (more than they care about what "value" to the Combine they have.)

They way I understood it they were trying to keep humans under control by using other human collaborators like CP and augmenting others to be mindless/loyal slaves while robbing the resources on Earth. This would imply that they either weren't planning to "colonize" Earth and would instead take what they need and then leave, or they were taking SOME of the resources needed for life and would leave a much reduced population. But the latter would be only if humans had some kind of use to them and other than turned into Synths (I assume that the original Synths were made from other species so unless those were wiped out they have other sources for that) or Overwatch troopers. And that would be only if they considered humans to be good enough to serve as soldiers for the Combine.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #4869 on: September 06, 2014, 01:22:07 am »

You know, the Hunter-Chopper's role doesn't make much sense now that I reflect on it. It's the combine version of a attack helicopter, right?  Then why the hell doesn't it have weapons like air-to-surface missiles instead of highly ineffective timed explosives? Do the Combine not understand how guided missiles work or something? 
They could have been trying to mass produce them, earths militarized could have destroyed all the missiles they owned, and there could've been some issues with getting proper equipment shipped to earth.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4870 on: September 06, 2014, 01:41:41 am »

They could have been trying to mass produce them, earths militarized could have destroyed all the missiles they owned, and there could've been some issues with getting proper equipment shipped to earth.
Maybe they didn't think they needed the missiles? They had destroyed Earth's armies and it didn't look like there were any functioning tanks or aircraft left for the rebels...

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #4871 on: September 06, 2014, 02:08:39 am »

Maybe they didn't think they needed the missiles? They had destroyed Earth's armies and it didn't look like there were any functioning tanks or aircraft left for the rebels...

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4872 on: September 06, 2014, 02:18:30 am »
And then a bearded mute showed up and ruined the whole thing.

Ironbite-or he would if they finished the damn game.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #4873 on: September 06, 2014, 02:40:14 am »
And then a bearded mute showed up and ruined the whole thing.

Ironbite-or he would if they finished the damn game.
Tf2 took eleven years, valve likes taking there sweet time.

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
« Reply #4874 on: September 06, 2014, 05:24:17 am »
You know, we could have a entire episode focusing on Dr. Kleiner's wacky science adventures or something like that. Hell, release us another version of HL2 Deathmatch to tide us over. Like, have the Resistance take the fight back to the Combine's other positions.