Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1505593 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #5655 on: April 08, 2015, 01:11:06 am »
Oh jesus fuck now there's this piglet with wings and they're trying to have this emotional scene with a piglet that just lost it's mother but it HAS WINGS.
What? Can't you accept a cheesy emotional scene simply because one of the characters on screen is a winged pig? They just wanted to make sure that everyone understands that the game is not set on Earth and none of the countries represents any real country. This is why they subtly changed the animals as well.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5656 on: April 08, 2015, 10:00:54 am »
According to a study done by the University of Oxford, video games do not cause sexism:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25844719/?ncbi_mmode=std

http://ge.tt/1BUeT0E2/v/0?c

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #5657 on: April 08, 2015, 03:12:11 pm »
I'm planning of getting subnautica, I've seen a few lets plays and it seems good.

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #5658 on: April 08, 2015, 04:04:29 pm »
Capturing monsters in Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is hard. Used up all my traps and all my Tranq Bombs catching a Kecha Wacha.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5659 on: April 08, 2015, 05:08:36 pm »
Oh the annoyances of being broke, I so want to get Elite: Dangerous cause there aren't a that many space combat games and I need that fix.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #5660 on: April 08, 2015, 05:27:43 pm »
According to a study done by the University of Oxford, video games do not cause sexism:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25844719/?ncbi_mmode=std

http://ge.tt/1BUeT0E2/v/0?c
While I like the fact that the study seems to refute claims about gamers being more sexist in general there are two immediate notions I made about the study that one should be aware of before making too far reaching conclusions.

First, it really does deal with sexism in a very general sense. The accusations of sexism in the gaming community are usually about behaviour in the specific context of gaming. The few, very simple questions in the study don't pay attention to this at all, they are simply generic questions about gender stereotypes. To see if the accusations are valid one should make additional questions about the attitudes towards female gamers, game developers etc.

Second, it doesn't say anything about how much sexist stereotypes in games support the sexism otherwise present in the society. In this sense games aren't any different from any other cultural phenomena and if one would like to study this aspect it would take a much larger viewpoint that takes into account the influences from as many sources as possible to see the overall picture.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #5661 on: April 08, 2015, 05:38:40 pm »

A shame that no one, NOT EVEN ANITA SARKEESIAN, has ever said that.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #5662 on: April 08, 2015, 06:42:51 pm »
Oh jesus fuck now there's this piglet with wings and they're trying to have this emotional scene with a piglet that just lost it's mother but it HAS WINGS.
What? Can't you accept a cheesy emotional scene simply because one of the characters on screen is a winged pig? They just wanted to make sure that everyone understands that the game is not set on Earth and none of the countries represents any real country. This is why they subtly changed the animals as well.

Okay, I admit the pig is growing on me, but damnit, couldn't have they just come up with a new kind of animal? why give a pig WINGS?

Also, I only just found out how engineers can repair tanks with their tools.  makes things a little easier. although it still seems the only way to A rank missions is just to race through as a scout to capture the camps while having a sniper or two picking off any enemies. it sucks that mission ranking is directly tied to speed.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 06:45:39 pm by Dakota Bob »

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #5663 on: April 08, 2015, 06:47:57 pm »

Okay, I admit the pig is growing on me, but damnit, couldn't have they just come up with a new kind of animal? why give a pig WINGS?

Also, I only just found out how engineers can repair tanks with their tools.  makes things a little easier. although it still seems the only way to A rank missions is just to race through as a scout to capture the camps while having a sniper or two picking off any enemies. it sucks that mission ranking is directly tied to speed.

His name is Hans.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5664 on: April 08, 2015, 07:02:35 pm »

Shhhhhh...we know where this heads off to.  Can we just not?

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #5665 on: April 08, 2015, 07:23:16 pm »

Shhhhhh...we know where this heads off to.  Can we just not?

Yeah, you're right. I'll abstain.

By the way, how did you set him to ignore, anyway?

Valkryia Chronicles is pretty great, but I just can't get over some of the kawaii-desu~~ JRPG trappings in the game (the awkward dialogue, the weird poses and one liners after I just blew a dudes brains out)

What? No mention of how it appears to have replaced Jews with Japanese people in World War II? To the point where the third game went out of it's way to introduce actual Japanese people to retcon the implication that Darksens are supposed to be Japanese?

Wait...this is a series of terrible games?

Ironbite-*pours a triple*

Actually, quite the contrary. Damn good strategy games and decent stories if you ignore the (admittedly very minor and only there if your particular interpretation goes that direction) Darcsen=Japanese implications. It's just that said implications are kinda hilarious and stupid.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 08:35:16 pm by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5666 on: April 09, 2015, 12:55:09 am »
Actually, quite the contrary. Damn good strategy games and decent stories if you ignore the (admittedly very minor and only there if your particular interpretation goes that direction) Darcsen=Japanese implications. It's just that said implications are kinda hilarious and stupid.
WHAT ARE THOSE IMPLICATIONS!?

And what about the Darcsen makes them look like Japanese?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #5667 on: April 09, 2015, 01:32:52 am »
WHAT ARE THOSE IMPLICATIONS!?

And what about the Darcsen makes them look like Japanese?

I dunno, I just thought they looked Japanese and, frankly, it is something I could see the game's writers doing considering I've seen stupider shit along those lines in anime. Considering that they, like I said, shoehorned in actual Japanese people in Valkyria Chronicles III, I think there is at least a grain of truth to it.

Or, considering that I can't find anything on a Google search outside of a few people who also thought they looked Japanese, I'm probably just insane and reading things into it that aren't actually there.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 04:07:09 am by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5668 on: April 09, 2015, 06:01:03 am »
Man, trade republics in Crusader Kings 2 are really overpowered.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5669 on: April 10, 2015, 06:16:23 pm »

Oh really now?