Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1509817 times)

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #6285 on: December 03, 2015, 07:30:05 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7mFkx1Um4KJZKkUHsSV1uA

the shoddycast. lots of lore on fallout, the elder scrolls, and dragon age. awesome.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel

Even Then

« Reply #6287 on: December 05, 2015, 02:01:50 pm »
Allright, I have tons of disposable income. I'm planning to get Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth. Can y'all recommend other games in about that price range or lower?

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #6288 on: December 05, 2015, 02:18:32 pm »
Allright, I have tons of disposable income. I'm planning to get Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth. Can y'all recommend other games in about that price range or lower?

lucky bastard, i'm waiting for the x-mas sales to roll around to nab it.

... super meat boy? 7 days to die? don't starve? trine and trine 2? hotline miami?

those are the ones i've got in the 10-20€ price range.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #6289 on: December 05, 2015, 05:14:02 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r1B0ARRuoU

Made a tutorial

I'd forgotten you had such a pleasant-sounding voice.  You make warfare sound so classy.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline TheL

• The Beast
« Reply #6290 on: December 05, 2015, 05:56:14 pm »

Going alphabetically through my Steam library for you.  Prices in USD.  Heeeere we go:

Beat Hazard ($10) is an oldie but a goodie.  It's a simple space shooter like the old Asteroids arcade game, with as many levels as you have songs on your computer.  The speed of a level is based on the tempo of the song you choose, and the level is as long as the song.  If you want to torture yourself, play using Nightwish's "Fantasmic" or anything by Nightcore or Dragonforce.

Breath of DeathVII/Cthulhu Saves The World ($3 for both) are 2 hilarious retro RPGs.  Lots of Lovecraft and gaming parody, typical NES-era gameplay.

Castle Crashers ($15) has been infamous since it came out on the XBox 360 back in '08.  Pretty sure it's well-known in Finland, but just in case it isn't--This game is by the founders of Newgrounds.  It has the sort of humor you'd expect from the people of Newgrounds.  Single-player is pretty hard, but I wouldn't mind doing multiplayer if our schedules sync up.

The Cat Lady ($10) is psychological point-and-click horror.  You play as a suicidal 40-year-old woman who's lost her grip on reality.  Good if you like TONS of gore.

Child of Light ($15) is a sidescrolling RPG with gorgeous graphics and an unusual combat system that I happen to like.  I adore everything about this game; however, if rhyming dialog for EVERY SINGLE LINE bothers you, you may want to skip this one.

Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten ($15) is a tower-defense game with old-school 16-bit levels and a really good story.  You play as a librarian who suddenly finds herself with magic powers, a mad barbarian, a rebellious archer, and other cool characters (including a fucking DRAGON that you meet at about the halfway point).  Multiple difficulty levels, lots of fun achievements, and really great dialog between characters.  If you like tower-defense, you pretty much NEED this game.

Ms. Splosion Man ($10) is just plain zany platforming fun.  If you like 2D platformers AT ALL, buy this game.  It's awesome and has a decent amount of challenge to it.

Never Alone (Kisima Ingitchuna) ($15) is gorgeous and based on traditional Inuit folklore.  You play as a young girl and her fox friend, trapped in an endless blizzard.  Another 2D platformer, but this one is a fair bit easier with a game controller.  Worth it to play even with a keyboard, though.  (The default graphics can be a bit resource-heavy, though, especially on old computers.)

Portal and Portal 2 ($10 and $20 respectively; $25 for the bundle) are stupidly popular for a reason.  If you still don't have them, why don't you have them?  Remedy your lack of Portal games immediately.

Skyborn ($15) is a retro-style JRPG set in a steampunk universe in which humans are ruled by the winged Skyborn.  It sticks to the usual formula of JRPGs, but that's not really a bad thing.  Plus, the cutscene graphics are UTTERLY GORGEOUS.

The Stanley Parable ($15) basically subverts every single expectation you have of video games.  To quote the game description: "The Stanley Parable is a first person exploration game. You will play as Stanley, and you will not play as Stanley. You will follow a story, you will not follow a story. You will have a choice, you will have no choice. The game will end, the game will never end."

Waveform ($2) follows a very simple concept, but is a really good challenge with a well-thought-out learning curve.  Travel through the solar system from Pluto to the Sun, as a wave of light.  Avoid the black obstacles and don't get swallowed by the Singularity.  You can change amplitude, period, and color of your wave.  Worth well more than its actual price tag.

The Yawhg ($10) is short, simple, and quite fun.  It's a good game for when you have friends over (1-4 players alternating), and each person's actions affect what you encounter in the weeks before and after the Yawhg's attack.  (No, you don't actually get to fight the Yawhg.)  Among other things, I've become an arena champ, a werewolf, and a respected healer.  Events that occur at each place are randomly generated from a large pool, so it's never the same game twice.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #6291 on: December 05, 2015, 06:02:41 pm »
Are there people out there that don't have Portal/Portal 2? I didn't think they existed. ;)

(random, the Portal level pack level in Lego Dimensions is presented as a psudeo-Portal 3. Valve had to tell people its not canon because they knew what fans can be like.+(

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #6292 on: December 05, 2015, 08:06:23 pm »
Are there people out there that don't have Portal/Portal 2? I didn't think they existed. ;)

(random, the Portal level pack level in Lego Dimensions is presented as a psudeo-Portal 3. Valve had to tell people its not canon because they knew what fans can be like.+(

i got them, i didn't check to see they cost so little...

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline TheL

• The Beast
« Reply #6293 on: December 06, 2015, 10:52:37 am »
I'm tempted to get the Dimensions Portal pack, even though I don't have Dimensions, just for the thrill of having Lego Chell.
--Sanda

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6294 on: December 08, 2015, 05:59:10 am »
Holy shit, I just discovered something amazing. In Crusader Kings II, it's possible to ask the pope for a claim on an excommunicated character's title. Under normal circumstances, this isn't terribly overpowered. In order to have someone excommunicated and then request a claim on just one title, the pope basically has to love you while despising your target. However, if, like me in my current game as Venice, you have the pope as your vassal, why, the stupid bastard has to do everything you say.

Basically, I can guarantee myself a claim to any title in the Catholic world in just two incredibly quick and easy steps, and I'm only realising this now. Oh, and to make things even more amazing, the Byzantines just went Catholic (I may or may not have had something to do with that), so I could (and most definitely will) essentially reunite the Roman Empire in one fell swoop.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #6295 on: December 08, 2015, 09:30:42 am »
All Hail Emperor Vandelay! Cool, now just make sure to raid the pope's coffers dry and seize all the abbeys, convents and cathedrals. Turn them into free schools and universities. Or brothels.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #6296 on: December 08, 2015, 10:01:31 am »
All Hail Emperor Vandelay! Cool, now just make sure to raid the pope's coffers dry and seize all the abbeys, convents and cathedrals. Turn them into free schools and universities. Or brothels.

i second that: imperator vandelay, urbi et orbi has a hell of a ring to it. also, the church had official brothels... there's even an expression about it in french: tomber dessus comme la petite vérole sur le bas-clergé. litt.: falling on something like the pox on the low-clergy. basically, aggro'ing something in a zerg-rush style.

i reinstalled fallout 3 to stop my hankering for fallout 4. welp, guess i didn't stray too far from my habits, i built a crit-intensive build. nothing quite like exploding a raider into ludicrous gibs using a pistol.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #6297 on: December 08, 2015, 01:36:25 pm »
Ahh, critfishing. My favorite sport.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline TheL

• The Beast
« Reply #6298 on: December 08, 2015, 02:07:35 pm »
Warning: Dog Marriage.

Yes, I'm playing Undertale.  Up to the part where you fight Undyne.
--Sanda

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #6299 on: December 08, 2015, 06:50:14 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r1B0ARRuoU

Made a tutorial

I'd forgotten you had such a pleasant-sounding voice.  You make warfare sound so classy.

You should see the logistics tutorial on my channel.

Im sure me talking about depots and freight distribution for half an hour would get you all melty.

Also art, you should check out the publisher Matrix Games. They make hyper complicated wargames, been obsessed with their titles for months
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.