Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1511466 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #6510 on: May 05, 2016, 11:01:11 pm »
Like I said, that's almost the ebtire point of the Tau.

Basically, the lone island of near-sanity in a rolling sea of utter, complete madness?  At least, that's the impression I get from 40k.  Never actually played it...  >.>
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #6511 on: May 06, 2016, 01:50:25 am »
Actually not a bad way to put it.
Who needs a signature?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6512 on: May 06, 2016, 08:01:23 pm »
Getting back into Crusader Kings 2, this time starting as a two-province earl within an Anglo-Saxon petty kingdom 769.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 08:03:07 pm by Art Vandelay »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6513 on: May 08, 2016, 11:21:18 am »
The first Shantae game came out in 2002. The next was 8 years later, the next 4 years after that and the latest game is coming out now, 2 years after the last one.

I am seeing a pattern here, next Shantae game will probably come out some time next year with another sequel 6 months later. Then it will be only 3 months before the next game is out and pretty soon we will start to see several of the games being published within a month.

*Insert reference to Pacific rim*
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6514 on: May 08, 2016, 03:11:19 pm »
The developers are Time Lords with a malfunctioning TARDIS.  It is the only explanation.

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6515 on: May 09, 2016, 08:14:24 am »
Getting back into Crusader Kings 2, this time starting as a two-province earl within an Anglo-Saxon petty kingdom 769.
(click to show/hide)

I can't play CK2 any more - it won't save :'(

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #6516 on: May 09, 2016, 02:19:07 pm »
So the new Doom game comes out this Friday and I've pre-ordered it. Which I hate, since I'm squarely in the "never pre-order" camp. I watch one single-player gameplay livestream and my brain goes "Bruuuuuuh". I hate that I can be easily manipulated like this, especially when a new Souls game comes out.

Oh well, at least my pre-order comes with a poster. That's nice.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6517 on: May 10, 2016, 06:01:58 am »
Getting back into Terraria. My god, they've really piled on the free content since I last played it. It feels more like I'm playing a sequel than the same game I really sunk my teeth into back in 2012. I swear, I'm seeing more new stuff than stuff I remember from back in the day. It's crazy, considering it cost me a mere $10 (would've been more like $2.50 had I waited for a sale) and even just the base game was stupidly good value. Add several years worth of free content updates and I'm wondering just how the developer ever managed to break even, much less turn a profit.

Well, if anyone needs me, I'll be off conquering the world with the power of yo-yos.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6518 on: May 11, 2016, 11:48:32 pm »
People are complaining about the newest Call of duty being set in space. ...It's not like we haven't had any good scifi shooters have we? I mean Halo's were liked, Doom and Quake had a few good games, Marathon series, Prey and so on. I mean, it's not guaranteed that the game is good, the last few in the series have not exactly been inspiring, but damning it based on a single trailer is a bit silly.

Similarly, everyone getting so excited over Battlefield 1 being set in WW1 even though all we have so far is a trailer is silly. Yes, this is probably the third shooter based on WW1 (Iron Storm was an alternate history where WW1 lasted for decades and the game was just bad, Verdun is trying to be simulationist and has mainly good reviews but the studio is small and the game is not well known.) so at least it's a reasonably fresh idea but there is still a chance that they ruin the game somehow.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6519 on: May 12, 2016, 12:54:48 am »
I really hope they don't cock Battlefield 1 up.  I've been waiting for a good WWI game since Red Baron, yet almost nobody has done anything with it.  I mean, you get tonnes of shit for WWII because Nazis are sexy, but WWI was every bit as horrifying as its successor, though for different reasons.  It basically saw the first large-scale use of machine guns in war, as well as chemical weapons and the very first tanks.  It was an era of some insane battles, and some truly horrifying shit that would fucking freeze your blood.  That it isn't explored more is a damn shame.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6520 on: May 14, 2016, 02:18:14 am »
I don't have a computer that would run the latest Doom but the game certainly looks fun. Not to mention that I love how ridiculously seriously they take the premise. "Yes, I know. We have been pumping energy straight from Hell to use it as a clean energy source. BUT JUST THINK HOW MUCH PROFIT WE ARE MAKING! And we have single handedly solved the world energy crisis! The only downside to this project are the occasional demonic invasions and mass possessions of workers but trust us when I say that we are taking all the necessary precautions."

Well, it's a lot better than the current system of waging wars over oil which causes occasional terrorist attack.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #6521 on: May 14, 2016, 09:48:19 am »
I'm about 4 hours into the new Doom campaign and lemme tell you this shit makes my cock hard as a rock, they fucking nailed it the absolute madmen. The combat feels great, the levels aren't just linear (they are more linear than original doom, but they aren't just straight lines to the exit and the design encourages exploration for secrets and collectables) and the graphics look great, the iDtech6 runs alot better than the last iteration of the engine (no more constant texture pop-in)  It's a shame the season pass is exclusively new multiplayer content when the MP is kinda generic (seriously, loadouts? why?) and I'm not sure it'll have a thriving community for very long, especially considering how they managed to kill off Quake Live. Haven't tried out snapmap yet so I don't have an opinion on that but apparently people are building cool stuff with it.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #6522 on: May 14, 2016, 02:15:00 pm »
I don't have a computer that would run the latest Doom but the game certainly looks fun. Not to mention that I love how ridiculously seriously they take the premise. "Yes, I know. We have been pumping energy straight from Hell to use it as a clean energy source. BUT JUST THINK HOW MUCH PROFIT WE ARE MAKING! And we have single handedly solved the world energy crisis! The only downside to this project are the occasional demonic invasions and mass possessions of workers but trust us when I say that we are taking all the necessary precautions."

Well, it's a lot better than the current system of waging wars over oil which causes occasional terrorist attack.

to be perfectly fair if we can extract energy from Hell (and possible bypass the first or second laws or thermodynamics) dealing with the occasional demonic invasion and mass possession is a very low price to pay. A+ realism.
Σא

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6523 on: May 14, 2016, 02:48:28 pm »
I talked about this with a buddy and in his opinion tens of thousands of deaths in the experimental phase of a new green energy source is totally worth if. In fact it would be the safest energy source in the world even with the occasional daemonic invasion being in the equation.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6524 on: May 17, 2016, 10:56:47 pm »
I AM FULLY ERECT.  Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 was announced today and that fucker is coming this year!  I can't fucking waaaaaaaaaaaaaait!  One of the very few times I'm considering pre-ordering a game when I'm able, because god damned Xenoverse 2, motherfuckers.