Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1511891 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #2100 on: March 26, 2013, 04:24:47 pm »
Several hours into Bioshock: Infinite now, goddamn the art design, so amazing.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #2101 on: March 26, 2013, 04:49:41 pm »
Several hours into Bioshock: Infinite now, goddamn the art design, so amazing.

*whines* I DON'T HAVE MY COPY YET.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2102 on: March 26, 2013, 06:14:03 pm »
Playing System Shock 2. Was going really great until I dropped into some water in Hydroponics and there's apparently no way to climb out. And I saved down there.

You know if you hold down space you can mantle up stuff right?

Yeah, tried that on both the walls and the walkways. Not working, especially since I can easily slip under the walkways while trying to climb up onto them.

I'd like to picture that the developers wouldn't put in an unclimbable area without invisible walls or even guardrails to keep players from dropping in to look for more Toxin-A or loot.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #2103 on: March 26, 2013, 06:59:00 pm »
Playing System Shock 2. Was going really great until I dropped into some water in Hydroponics and there's apparently no way to climb out. And I saved down there.

Yeah, tried that on both the walls and the walkways. Not working, especially since I can easily slip under the walkways while trying to climb up onto them.

I'd like to picture that the developers wouldn't put in an unclimbable area without invisible walls or even guardrails to keep players from dropping in to look for more Toxin-A or loot.

Can you take a screenshot or somethin? ,might be a long shot but if I can see the area I might be able to help.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2104 on: March 26, 2013, 07:46:47 pm »

Can you take a screenshot or somethin? ,might be a long shot but if I can see the area I might be able to help.

Tried again and made it out. Turns out there was an extremely small sweet spot between "hit the walkway and bounce off" and "miss the walkway entirely" where I could actually climb.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2105 on: March 27, 2013, 01:26:02 am »
Well I've decided to jump on a bandwagon extremely late and got myself Garry's Mod for a whopping $2.49

I don't have Half Life 2, though, so this should be interesting...
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #2106 on: March 27, 2013, 02:14:12 am »
I finally got my copy of Bioshock Infinite and used my code I got from the Industrial Revolution game. The extra money and the gear has come very much in handy.

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2107 on: March 27, 2013, 02:15:27 am »
Well I've decided to jump on a bandwagon extremely late and got myself Garry's Mod for a whopping $2.49

The game comes with a handful of stuff from Half-Life 2 (since most Valve games reuse assets, it's easy to grab and copy them), but you may be missing quite a bit. Garry's Mod did start as a purely Half-Life 2 thing, after all.

Regardless, I find that the biggest draw is actually the multiplayer. Trouble In Terrorist Town is an especially popular one; try to go for the Crowbar Gaming server.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2108 on: March 27, 2013, 02:29:30 am »

The game comes with a handful of stuff from Half-Life 2 (since most Valve games reuse assets, it's easy to grab and copy them), but you may be missing quite a bit. Garry's Mod did start as a purely Half-Life 2 thing, after all.

Regardless, I find that the biggest draw is actually the multiplayer. Trouble In Terrorist Town is an especially popular one; try to go for the Crowbar Gaming server.

Is it possible to just fill in the missing assets with fan-made assets?

I really don't feel like buying a game I'll never play just to add assets to Garry's Mod.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #2109 on: March 27, 2013, 02:35:09 am »
I finally got my copy of Bioshock Infinite and used my code I got from the Industrial Revolution game. The extra money and the gear has come very much in handy.

Is their items in the game that can only be unlocked by playing through Industrial Revolution? because I really don't wanna play through that thing.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #2110 on: March 27, 2013, 02:39:58 am »

Is their items in the game that can only be unlocked by playing through Industrial Revolution? because I really don't wanna play through that thing.

Yes. The gear is. But you can get the lockpicks and silver eagles the regular way.

&

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2111 on: March 27, 2013, 02:58:50 am »
Must stop exploring when I'm fighting.

Ironbite-getting me killed.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #2112 on: March 27, 2013, 04:59:50 am »

Aw fuck, I don't want to have to go through the whole thing, what gear will I be missing out on if I skip it?
Yes. The gear is. But you can get the lockpicks and silver eagles the regular way.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #2113 on: March 27, 2013, 05:05:06 am »

Aw fuck, I don't want to have to go through the whole thing, what gear will I be missing out on if I skip it?

I only got 3/4 of the gear but it's:

Sugar Rush- after eating a snak, move 50% for 3 seconds
Handyman Nemesis- Increases damage against Handymen by 50%
Fleet Feet- When evading, movement speeds are increased. Affects side strafing and back pedaling.

I dunno what the fourth one is. You can probably find out by googling.

&

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2114 on: March 27, 2013, 05:18:48 am »

Is it possible to just fill in the missing assets with fan-made assets?

I really don't feel like buying a game I'll never play just to add assets to Garry's Mod.

Depends on what you want to add. There's a lot of mods out there (check the Steam Workshop for the game for everything that's definitely GMod 13 compatible, and it downloads the stuff into the game automatically for you when you start it up anyway instead of making you shuffle files around and breaking the game yourself), some of which are specifically out to add things like the Counter-Strike Source weapons or assets from various games. But I can't guarantee that you'll be running smoothly without Half-Life 2. One of the biggest problems, especially in multiplayer, is that servers will only download the model for something instead of the texture and it'll come out with a texture of purple and black blocks if it can't find something in the existing Steam files. Usually it can be mitigated by redownloading the specific stuff (though good luck if it's something added while joining multiplayer and you can't find the assets online), but sometimes it just plain expects you to have the right content.

I do know that there's a TTT pack on the Workshop in case you're missing Counter-Strike, so you can play what's literally the most popular multiplayer mode on there (as in player numbers of several thousand minimum at any given time).