Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1519195 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #4515 on: June 16, 2014, 10:12:36 pm »
So Anita Sarkeesian made another video. I have to say, her first few had the odd valid point here and there, but this one is just utter nonsense.

Mind summarizing it for us who aren't subscribed to her?

Basically, most games are misogynistic because you can usually attack and kill the female NPCs. Also, prostitutes exist in some games, and therefore more misogyny.

Context? What the fuck is that?

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4516 on: June 16, 2014, 10:17:10 pm »
Yeah I see where she's a radfem (and a stupid one at that)

The real point to her existence on the internet, as far as I'm concerned, is exposing the misogyny of her rabid haters.

I mean seriously, she's probably one of the few radfems who manages to accidentally prove why feminism is necessary just by how her haters act.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4517 on: June 16, 2014, 10:43:51 pm »
Yeah I see where she's a radfem (and a stupid one at that)

She doesn't strike me as particularly radical, except in the general "believes the patriarchy is a thing" sense.

Either way, I agree with Art that the latest video was the weakest so far. I think she raised some valid points re: women as decoration, but the whole "violence against female NPCs" part did not really establish a difference in how male vs. female NPCs are treated.
Σא

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #4518 on: June 17, 2014, 02:22:37 am »
Context? What the fuck is that?

And here we have one reason I don't like her. Her criticisms always ignore context. Granted it's not as much of a reason as her being misleading and using half-truths, but it doesn't help her case much.

I kno rite? I've told myself I really shouldn't be pre-ordering games anymore but the GOG.com deal was too great to pass up.

See, here's the thing about pre-orders, if that was how more pre-orders were, there wouldn't be an issue. The issue right now is that pre-orders are purely to bypass the reviews, not to actually give more value to the customers. The GOG pre-order is worth the money, just for the benefits you get, plus the game from a developer that actually gives a shit about their customers.

I say that this is one of two reasons to pre-order, the other being to make sure you can get a copy of a game with a limited release (IE, he reason I'm planning to pre-order Xenoblade Chronicles X when they open).

Speaking of Xenoblade, I've been playing the first one and, my god, I have missed this feeling of being absolutely sucked into a game. The last time I was this absorbed in a game was Assassin's Creed II when I first played it a few years ago and Red Dead Redemption when it first came out.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 06:16:20 am by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4519 on: June 18, 2014, 08:31:17 am »
Played a bit of watchdogs, not impressed.

Playing excessive amounts of wolfenstein. Hooboy thats awesome
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #4520 on: June 19, 2014, 04:20:44 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmTUW-owa2w

So this video makes a very good point and I agree with it to a large extent. However, it fails to explain that he IS an arrogant hipster who has no fucking clue how to present him in public. As the video explains, he always acted like he got the fame he deserved and exploded on anyone who didn't kiss his ass. Yes, a lot of the abuse is undeserved, but he sure as hell didn't do anything to help things.

Honestly, that video has me reconsidering my opinion of the man and, while I still don't like him because, you know, telling someone to kill himself because they aren't as undeservedly famous as he is, it seems like he is simply a victim of his own desires. He wanted to be famous and when he got it, he let it go to his head.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4521 on: June 19, 2014, 07:05:28 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmTUW-owa2w" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmTUW-owa2w</a>

So this video makes a very good point and I agree with it to a large extent. However, it fails to explain that he IS an arrogant hipster who has no fucking clue how to present him in public. As the video explains, he always acted like he got the fame he deserved and exploded on anyone who didn't kiss his ass. Yes, a lot of the abuse is undeserved, but he sure as hell didn't do anything to help things.

Honestly, that video has me reconsidering my opinion of the man and, while I still don't like him because, you know, telling someone to kill himself because they aren't as undeservedly famous as he is, it seems like he is simply a victim of his own desires. He wanted to be famous and when he got it, he let it go to his head.
Fixed the link.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4522 on: June 19, 2014, 08:00:08 am »

The fuck was Fez about, anyway?  No, I never played it...if I want a platformer, I'll go old-school with Super Mario Bros 3 or somethin.  That said, Phil Fish gives indie developers a bad name.  I swear, people!  We're not all hipsters!
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4523 on: June 19, 2014, 08:10:31 am »

The fuck was Fez about, anyway?  No, I never played it...if I want a platformer, I'll go old-school with Super Mario Bros 3 or somethin.  That said, Phil Fish gives indie developers a bad name.  I swear, people!  We're not all hipsters!
#NotAllIndieDevelopers

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4524 on: June 19, 2014, 11:15:53 am »
Phil Fish strikes me as a having a terminal case of being a twat.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4525 on: June 19, 2014, 11:20:07 am »
Phil Fish strikes me as a having a terminal case of being a twat.

Not even Notch is as bad as Fish.  Notch is just incompetent, Fish is an outright prick.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4526 on: June 19, 2014, 01:29:46 pm »
STEAM SALES ARE NOW

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4527 on: June 19, 2014, 02:03:16 pm »
I have my eye on the first two Witcher games, since they're currently ridiculously cheap.  Are they any good?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #4528 on: June 19, 2014, 02:40:14 pm »
I have my eye on the first two Witcher games, since they're currently ridiculously cheap.  Are they any good?

Last I checked, they were on sale on GOG. Considering that GOG is DRM-free, I'd go there instead of Steam. Also, I haven't played them, but I fully intend to play them purely because CD Projekt is anti-DRM.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4529 on: June 19, 2014, 02:52:35 pm »

Last I checked, they were on sale on GOG. Considering that GOG is DRM-free, I'd go there instead of Steam. Also, I haven't played them, but I fully intend to play them purely because CD Projekt is anti-DRM.

Together they're about $15 on GOG.  On Steam, together, they're about $6

I should mention, I only have $10 left in my games budget for the summer sale.  I only allocated $20 to start off with, and the first $10 went to Sam & Max games on GOG after they went on an 80% sale.

I think I'll just pass on the Witcher games this time.