Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1515949 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #4560 on: June 23, 2014, 08:46:55 am »
Wow, I've got in to games with some dickish hosts before but not too many. Most of the people I've played with are pretty chill and don't really care even if someone fucks up the stealthing on a pro mission. We might all be disappointed that we were so close to getting the last bit on a run of Framing Frame day 3, but oh well, we can just run it again.

Like I said, my Steam name is the same as my name on here, and I play Payday 2 pretty often.

Try Left 4 Dead 2.  If you suck, you get kicked.  If you play well, you get kicked.  If you just entered the room, you get kicked.  Once they voted to kick me while I was in the middle of healing a teammate.  Seeing 3 checkmarks (meaning a unanimous vote), I stopped healing him and backed into the fire (so I'd die and the AI wouldn't control my character).  I got 3 messages slamming me for "my bad attitude."

You are a person of glory.  I've always thought that people on L4D were gigantic wankers, by and large.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4561 on: June 23, 2014, 09:21:52 am »
...Why on earth would they even kick you?  You weren't doing anything wrong!
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4562 on: June 23, 2014, 10:08:58 am »
He probably looked the to other direction for five seconds and everybody noticed how terrible he was for that
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4563 on: June 23, 2014, 10:22:51 am »
Finally got the enhanced edition of FTL working.

The thing is that my current computer can't even run FTL without overheating so I hadn't even tried. Now that I got Skyrim from the Steam sale for my wife, we decided to use my Steam account rather than make a new account for her, so I decided to install a few other games as well and play them on her computer.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4564 on: June 23, 2014, 10:53:26 am »
Picked up Tomb Raider Anniversary, Legend and Underworld on Steam for about 6e. Also got EYE: Divine Cybermancy. heard some good things about that game, that and apparently the writing is skullfuck insane.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #4565 on: June 23, 2014, 03:04:53 pm »
Wow, I've got in to games with some dickish hosts before but not too many. Most of the people I've played with are pretty chill and don't really care even if someone fucks up the stealthing on a pro mission. We might all be disappointed that we were so close to getting the last bit on a run of Framing Frame day 3, but oh well, we can just run it again.

Like I said, my Steam name is the same as my name on here, and I play Payday 2 pretty often.

Try Left 4 Dead 2.  If you suck, you get kicked.  If you play well, you get kicked.  If you just entered the room, you get kicked.  Once they voted to kick me while I was in the middle of healing a teammate.  Seeing 3 checkmarks (meaning a unanimous vote), I stopped healing him and backed into the fire (so I'd die and the AI wouldn't control my character).  I got 3 messages slamming me for "my bad attitude."

You are a person of glory.  I've always thought that people on L4D were gigantic wankers, by and large.

Goddamn, that's worse than Warcraft's dungeon finder (where people will get pissy if you aren't a rockstar healer at level 15). I didn't know that was possible.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4566 on: June 23, 2014, 03:17:14 pm »

Goddamn, that's worse than Warcraft's dungeon finder (where people will get pissy if you aren't a rockstar healer at level 15). I didn't know that was possible.

I played WoW before the dungeon finder came about. FINDING A GROUP USED TO BE A HORRIBLE ENDEVOUR THAT COULD TAKE HOURS! And THEN you all had to trek to the dungeon, or at least one person had to so that he could then summon everyone. AND THEN when someone was ready to summon half the group had to go to some city to respecc and if the healer had healer gear with him you were lucky. And WHEN someone in the party had to leave finding the replacement wasn't as easy as pressing a button that puts you back into the dungeon finder. NO at worst it meant that the 3 hours you just spent were useless as there was no one to be found to replace the tank/healer and you would not get to the end boss, who would drop the ONE item that you were looking for. (With a horribly low drop rate I bet.)

Bah, people should be grateful that WoW managed to finally get a fix (presumably copied from other MMORPGs) for the party finding. There are still morons and griefers but at least you don't HAVE to tolerate the worst of them just because there is no other choice.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #4567 on: June 23, 2014, 03:24:21 pm »
...Why on earth would they even kick you?  You weren't doing anything wrong!

When I was a youngling I used to play Quake 2 online a lot. I used to get banned from servers randomly for "cheating"

Moral of the story is, some people are knobs.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #4568 on: June 23, 2014, 07:37:53 pm »

I played WoW before the dungeon finder came about. FINDING A GROUP USED TO BE A HORRIBLE ENDEVOUR THAT COULD TAKE HOURS! And THEN you all had to trek to the dungeon, or at least one person had to so that he could then summon everyone. AND THEN when someone was ready to summon half the group had to go to some city to respecc and if the healer had healer gear with him you were lucky. And WHEN someone in the party had to leave finding the replacement wasn't as easy as pressing a button that puts you back into the dungeon finder. NO at worst it meant that the 3 hours you just spent were useless as there was no one to be found to replace the tank/healer and you would not get to the end boss, who would drop the ONE item that you were looking for. (With a horribly low drop rate I bet.)

And then people wonder why only 2% of the player base even saw raid content, let alone beat it.

Bah, people should be grateful that WoW managed to finally get a fix (presumably copied from other MMORPGs) for the party finding. There are still morons and griefers but at least you don't HAVE to tolerate the worst of them just because there is no other choice.

I know I am, but this is the WoW community we're talking about, so we have people get pissy at the littlest things, then go on about how it's proof that everything was better when only 2% of players actually got to experience the meat of the game.
Who needs a signature?

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #4569 on: June 23, 2014, 09:01:17 pm »

I love it when MMOs do this stuff, you actually end up feeling a bond with people because you end spending so much time together making a grand adventure out of finding the right people for a group instead of this instant grouping shit that throws a bunch of random people together who will never talk to each other again.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #4570 on: June 23, 2014, 09:20:06 pm »
Sure, except it's 3 hours of a headache to do a 15 minute dungeon to HOPEFULLY get a useful piece of gear. At best, you get a group of dedicated people to make an adventure out of it, at worst, you get an incompetent group that can't even get through the trash fights. I'd take the impersonal Dungeon Finder over spending half my playtime finding a group any day.
Who needs a signature?

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4571 on: June 23, 2014, 09:30:46 pm »
I just had a legitimately scary moment in STALKER: Lost Alpha.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7UnyP_yA8g" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7UnyP_yA8g</a>

Start watching at 8:20. Yeah, the weird vision the guy has is a bit cheesy in there.

Except that when it happened to me, time passed by a few hours and I was already fighting at sunset. So when it ended I was dropped right into the infamously dark STALKER night, with a flashlight that can barely illuminate 15 feet in front of me, right in the middle of the Garbage that I can barely navigate without falling down a pit or getting irradiated or dropping into an anomaly. Just a sudden drop right in the middle of it.

I booked it to a house as fast as my guy could sprint.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4572 on: June 24, 2014, 08:19:23 am »
I love it when MMOs do this stuff, you actually end up feeling a bond with people because you end spending so much time together making a grand adventure out of finding the right people for a group instead of this instant grouping shit that throws a bunch of random people together who will never talk to each other again.

That's odd, I find myself bonding over actually doing the thrice damned dungeon, instead of listening to map chat waiting to hear someone putting up a LFG advert in a sea of guild recruiting spam and other such nonsense.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4573 on: June 24, 2014, 01:29:51 pm »

That's odd, I find myself bonding over actually doing the thrice damned dungeon, instead of listening to map chat waiting to hear someone putting up a LFG advert in a sea of guild recruiting spam and other such nonsense.

ur such a casual scrub gt tha fk out f my face
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #4574 on: June 24, 2014, 03:49:25 pm »

ur such a casual scrub gt tha fk out f my face

fukin rekt m8