Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1651126 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #5400 on: November 28, 2015, 02:26:16 pm »
Though, making it a duty would potentially help with the issue of massive gerrymandering going on in the US.  Maybe not vote for everything, but something more along the lines of "you must vote in at least one formal election every 4 years."  Might not be the best solution, but...there's only so much you can do to prevent voter apathy.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5401 on: November 28, 2015, 04:20:52 pm »
Eh, I learned "Sie" in German without much trouble. But, I am Southern. The type of Southern where I would get slapped across the face if I didn't refer to someone as "Mr.," "Ms.," "Sir," or "Ma'am." Probably helped me recognize the formal parts of language a bit easier.

You're not that Southern.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #5402 on: November 28, 2015, 05:13:39 pm »
Though, making it a duty would potentially help with the issue of massive gerrymandering going on in the US.  Maybe not vote for everything, but something more along the lines of "you must vote in at least one formal election every 4 years."  Might not be the best solution, but...there's only so much you can do to prevent voter apathy.

i dunno, belgium's got mandatory voting, and they actually manage to have the highest scores of blank voting in europe. in france, abstentionism can be political, not just apathy but saying "nothing here is representing me, so i forfeit my vote". that said, i'd be really interested to see how much abstentionism and blanks happen every election. there was a centrist candidate trying to promote that, but he got shot down like a pigeon at a skeet shoot.

a few months back, someone here talked about the tough problems americans had regarding voting. perhaps simplifying the procedure could be a step in the right direction, and opening voting booths on sundays, so people don't have to take half a day off.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5403 on: November 28, 2015, 10:40:57 pm »
Oh hell yeah, we could stop the whole voter cockblocking that bitches are trying to use to run this country even further into the fucking ground.  The rabid part of me just want to round up the bastards and drop them into the mantle, but that'd be...counterproductive.  Besides, someone would take their place.  Attitudes must be changed and, as appealing as it may be, violence typically gets exactly the opposite of what you want.

pyro

« Reply #5404 on: November 29, 2015, 10:54:32 pm »
Oh hell yeah, we could stop the whole voter cockblocking that bitches are trying to use to run this country even further into the fucking ground.  The rabid part of me just want to round up the bastards and drop them into the mantle, but that'd be...counterproductive.  Besides, someone would take their place.  Attitudes must be changed and, as appealing as it may be, violence typically gets exactly the opposite of what you want.

If violence does the opposite of what you want more than 50% of the time, then you're using it backwards. :-)

Also, "cockblocking?" Really?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5405 on: November 29, 2015, 11:00:49 pm »
Eh, its an accurate enough euphemism.

pyro

« Reply #5406 on: November 29, 2015, 11:04:23 pm »

Isn't a euphemism supposed to be milder than the thing it's standing in for?

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #5407 on: November 30, 2015, 01:31:11 am »
Eh, I learned "Sie" in German without much trouble. But, I am Southern. The type of Southern where I would get slapped across the face if I didn't refer to someone as "Mr.," "Ms.," "Sir," or "Ma'am." Probably helped me recognize the formal parts of language a bit easier.

You're not that Southern.

Yes, actually, I am. I learned in high school to suppress my southern accent so that I don't sound hill-billly. I have no qualms admitting that I come from white trash.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #5408 on: November 30, 2015, 02:08:40 am »

Preventing someone from getting laid is tamer than disenfranchisement, at least I think so.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5409 on: November 30, 2015, 08:10:35 am »

Preventing someone from getting laid is tamer than disenfranchisement, at least I think so.

Also, not sure if that's a hard-and-fast rule or just a general guideline because the English language is the drunken offspring of German and Latin.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #5410 on: November 30, 2015, 09:01:35 am »

It doesn't help when some states (cough Florida cough) go out of their way to impede getting registered and even reducing voting locations so people either have to travel farther or wait in HUGE lines (Rick Scott tried that in 2012; luckily it still didn't help the GOP).
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5411 on: November 30, 2015, 09:18:24 am »
I think the left needs to have its own firebrands, people who can make emotional appeals and light a fire under the left's collective ass.  People with the kind of fury that gets people's blood boiling.  Enough so that, even when they try to fuck us over, it won't matter because people will go thru hell and high water to have their outraged voices heard.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #5412 on: November 30, 2015, 12:48:45 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Here is what I wrote about Benghazi three years, six congressional investigations and $30 million ago:

"The Fox News/GOP public garment-rending over Benghazi would be more convicing if they had ever shown concern for the death and destruction their policies caused in the Mideast. Benghazi is pure, cynical political calculation. They take their cue from Stalin, who said one death is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic."

Mic drop.

- patrick f. bagley
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #5413 on: November 30, 2015, 04:46:11 pm »

It doesn't help when some states (cough Florida cough) go out of their way to impede getting registered and even reducing voting locations so people either have to travel farther or wait in HUGE lines (Rick Scott tried that in 2012; luckily it still didn't help the GOP).

Not just Florida:  AL passed a law requiring a driver's license, then made it so that all but four DMV offices in the state no longer distribute driver's licenses.  The counties that stopped providing them?  All have a population that's 75% black.  But nooooo, they're not racist.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #5414 on: November 30, 2015, 06:29:32 pm »

Also, not sure if that's a hard-and-fast rule or just a general guideline because the English language is the drunken offspring of German and Latin.

It is. Euphemism specifically means replacing a negatively-charged term with a nice- or neutral-sounding one. Doing the opposite is called "dysphemism".
Σא