Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1509169 times)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #1335 on: November 27, 2012, 12:36:33 am »
Spoiler'ed for possible dickishness.

(click to show/hide)

...I buy what interests me and what I enjoy playing. I don't buy things I don't have an inkling of interest in. And quite honestly, that game doesn't interest me in the slightest and similar games hurt my head trying to deal with. Regardless of how easy or hard a game is, if I enjoy it I'll play it. And I'm not sure how I like my taste in games being looked down on.

As for Doom 3 BFG, it was updated and packaged together with the previous games. I wanted to play it on my 360 and they have a couple Doom games for download already on the marketplace but I wanted the upgraded version(s).

Many of the games I've been waiting to buy, and Black Friday gave me the perfect chance. Especially considering Dishonored was only $25 and Halo 4 was basically half off with the promotions they gave me.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #1336 on: November 27, 2012, 04:45:59 am »
It's the BFG Edition, which includes the first two games, as well as the expansion pack and new levels for the third. Also, updated graphics, of course.

It includes Doom 1 and 2?  I might have to get that in the future.

Anyway, I got Hitman Absolution.  The levels where you get to assassinate people are fun.  The levels where you have to escape, not so much.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Art Vandelay

« Reply #1337 on: November 27, 2012, 06:03:49 am »
I know I'm a little late to the party, but Dungeons of Dredmor is a hell of a lot of fun. I mean, it's got a skill set called "mathemagician". What's not to love?

Distind

« Reply #1338 on: November 27, 2012, 06:25:21 am »
I know I'm a little late to the party, but Dungeons of Dredmor is a hell of a lot of fun. I mean, it's got a skill set called "mathemagician". What's not to love?
Wait till you start playing with portals and find a merry little diggle hell. They're plenty of fun. Still haven't beaten the damn game, but I keep poking my nose where I damn well know it doesn't belong.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #1339 on: November 27, 2012, 09:03:47 am »
Wait till you start playing with portals and find a merry little diggle hell. They're plenty of fun. Still haven't beaten the damn game, but I keep poking my nose where I damn well know it doesn't belong.
I've yet to clear the first level. I've heard it described as "baby's first Rogue-like", yet FTL is a much easier game. Ah well, I suppose I'll get the hang of it in due course.

On another note, I just finished all four Blackwell games. I must say, it's a fantastic series. I'll definitely be buying the last two games as soon as they're released.

Distind

« Reply #1340 on: November 27, 2012, 10:58:56 am »
I've yet to clear the first level. I've heard it described as "baby's first Rogue-like", yet FTL is a much easier game. Ah well, I suppose I'll get the hang of it in due course.
That's because most Rogue-likes make chewing on nails while downing Tabasco sauce seem fun. It's not a particularly easy game by normal standards, but with the right amount of luck you can be katana wielding steel covered death machine by the 3rd level. It's just a promise, in fact my fiancee who watched me do it didn't believe I found that much steel that early.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #1341 on: November 27, 2012, 04:00:28 pm »

I love me the COmmunism skill tree!
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #1342 on: November 27, 2012, 06:02:50 pm »
I'm trying to decide whether to get a Wii U or a PS Vita during the holidays.  I'm heavily leaning toward the Wii U as it has a back catalog of Wii games to play (I haven't had a console since the gamecube) and the fact that the Vita has ridiculous prices for memory cards if you want a digital library.

Distind

« Reply #1343 on: November 27, 2012, 07:04:03 pm »
I'm trying to decide whether to get a Wii U or a PS Vita during the holidays.  I'm heavily leaning toward the Wii U as it has a back catalog of Wii games to play (I haven't had a console since the gamecube) and the fact that the Vita has ridiculous prices for memory cards if you want a digital library.
I'd suggest the Wii U myself, there just isn't much worth playing on the Vita. At least not much you couldn't play on PSP.

Saturn500

« Reply #1344 on: November 27, 2012, 07:10:17 pm »
If you get a Wii U, go for the Deluxe Edition. It has so much to offer over the Standard Edition, it's a wonder anybody buys the latter.

Oh, and don't shut the Wii U down during the 5 GB firmware update.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1345 on: November 27, 2012, 07:55:27 pm »
If you get a Wii U, go for the Deluxe Edition. It has so much to offer over the Standard Edition, it's a wonder anybody buys the latter.

Availability is pretty much the biggest reason.

I know of one place where they won't restock any Deluxe Editions until March.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Saturn500

« Reply #1346 on: November 27, 2012, 08:18:09 pm »
Okay, scratch that, it's a wonder the Standard Edition even exists. They should've made more Deluxes snd not made any Standards.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #1347 on: November 28, 2012, 12:38:27 am »
I've been playing the Omega DLC for Mass Effect 3. It's interesting but nothing seems 'wow that's awesome'.

I do like the female turian tho.

After I finish the DLC I might pop in Dishonored or something.

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #1348 on: November 28, 2012, 07:21:45 am »
I've been playing the Omega DLC for Mass Effect 3. It's interesting but nothing seems 'wow that's awesome'.

I do like the female turian tho.

Does it seem like the type of missions you might enjoy replaying, to try different strategies, etc.?  I was a little iffy about it since the previous DLC seemed so linear, I have no desire to replay it.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #1349 on: November 28, 2012, 08:56:23 am »
No, it's got a pretty on-the-rails feel to it. You might want to try different strats against the bad guys but that's about it. Try out different endings (there are two, a paragon and a renegade ending).

But, after finishing it I'm kinda wondering why I bothered. But the reviews are mixed. Some love it, some are meh, others hate it cause OMG FEMALE TURIAN WITH BOOBS (even tho we don't know if they're actually boobs or not because she never takes her armor off. It could just be her carapace is elongated to give the impression).

The only thing you'd probably do is wait for it to be 50% off to pick off the achievements. But it's not entirely worth it even for that unless you're a strict completionist.

If you're really interested in Aria and why Cerberus took Omega, then you can read the comics. The DLC is just the finale which you can already guess what happens so it's nothing shock and awe.

In other news I forgot the information about Lego LotR having voices. But, I also understand why (differentiate between Elvish and Common). Still weird. Used to having a version of Simlish.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 08:58:04 am by Commander Shepard »

&