Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1507302 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #1950 on: March 05, 2013, 01:58:13 am »
Well, I bought the first Thief game. I'm really in the mood for a good stealth game, so this should keep me happy for a while. It'll be interesting to see if it's really as good as people claim.

One note...

(click to show/hide)
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #1951 on: March 05, 2013, 02:13:36 am »
Well, I bought the first Thief game. I'm really in the mood for a good stealth game, so this should keep me happy for a while. It'll be interesting to see if it's really as good as people claim.

One note...

(click to show/hide)

If I can just get the fucking thing to even run properly, I'll consider it a victory.

Here I thought GOG.com took care of this shit before selling the installer.

On a lighter note, I got it to work. Some awesome individual put together a pack of fixes for the game. No more flickering cursor and unplayable cutscenes in my Thief.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 02:26:14 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #1952 on: March 05, 2013, 02:25:03 am »
That's annoying. I got it from GOG too and mine runs fine in compatibility mode.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Art Vandelay

« Reply #1953 on: March 05, 2013, 02:27:00 am »
That's annoying. I got it from GOG too and mine runs fine in compatibility mode.
Are you running Windows 7 64-bit?

Distind

« Reply #1954 on: March 05, 2013, 08:51:08 am »
So, Star Conflict? FTP, space sim, friend of mine says it plays like freelancer. Anyone else interested? I'm going to check it out tonight.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #1955 on: March 05, 2013, 10:43:20 am »
Are you running Windows 7 64-bit?

Yep. What problems are you having with it?
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #1956 on: March 05, 2013, 11:21:41 am »
So, Star Conflict? FTP, space sim, friend of mine says it plays like freelancer. Anyone else interested? I'm going to check it out tonight.

From what I saw on the net it looked like World of tanks in space.

Might check it out if have have the time from all my other projects.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1957 on: March 05, 2013, 03:28:05 pm »
So, that Thief 4 game?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/03/thi4f-becomes-plain-old-thief-reboot-coming-in-2014/

Ready to feel old? It has been nearly nine years since we last got to sneak around The City while stealing and killing from the shadows in Thief: Deadly Shadows. Ready to feel young again? Square Enix and Eidos Montreal are finally ready to unveil the fourth game in the venerable Thief series, simply called Thief, ahead of a release for PC and PlayStation 4 sometime in 2014.

Game Informer is giving the game its cover slot for its April issue, teasing that the title will see the return of series protagonist Garrett and the Gothic Victorian setting of The City. Eidos Montreal seems to be branding the new title as a full series reboot rather than a sequel to existing games, though.

"We wanted as a core team to keep the main pillar of what is a Thief game," one developer says in a short teaser trailer posted by Game Informer. "Garret is not someone that's renowned in the world of Thief, so most NPCs will not talk to him, and if they will see him they'll be quite afraid of him, because he's a scary gentleman," says another.

I will admit, it does actually kinda make sense that this would be a reboot, considering what happened at the end of Thief 3 (which did neatly tie things together to the point where another sequel would have been kinda forced)

At the same time, this has a greater potential for failure now.

I wonder... will they implement a karma system as seems to be incredibly popular lately?  Will they have too much emphasis on combat in a game that shouldn't be about combat?

Or will they somehow manage to create a stellar game without compromising the ideals of the Thief series?

I guess we'll see in 2014...

In the meantime, have screenshots:

(click to show/hide)
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #1958 on: March 05, 2013, 03:33:59 pm »
If the original storyline ended with Thief 3 then a reboot or simply a different story with new characters is much better than some half-assed attempt to mangle the old story and characters into Thief 4.

Slightly related: When the fourth Pirates of Caribbean movie came out I was delighted that they had not included Will and Elizabeth into the movie. After all they had no reason to be involved in the new adventure and any attempt to do that would have been awkward. Similarly starting again with Thief 4 is not such a bad idea. Although they have just used a new main character as well.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #1959 on: March 05, 2013, 03:43:24 pm »
And Thief 4 is for the consoles.  I never played any of the previous games, because they're on the computer, but this looks interesting.  Question, is this like Hitman and Dishonored where you're supposed to be stealthy but you can butcher people if you feel like it (referring to previous games)?
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #1960 on: March 05, 2013, 04:04:33 pm »
I just finished the DLC. The story is about 2 and a half hours, more or less but the content itself is about 8 hours (it depends on how replayable the simulator and arcade game is to you, I suppose.)

I was... I'm... I'm not ready to let go of Shepard. It's been a great ride. Some people can say they got into Mass Effect thanks to a friend. Mass Effect... Shepard... is my family. I found it. All on my own. Is small. And broken. But good. Yeah. Still good.

The idea that Shepard's story is done though? I think we'll hear more of Shep. We just won't play as her anymore. I'm not sure what the Mass Effect franchise will be later on. But I can say with absolute certainty that Shepard has literally saved my life before.

The DLC today was a great send-off. I'm glad I paid for it. Some of the parts were cheesy, I'll admit. But it was a nice way to end things. Romances were rekindled, friends were brought back again. It was nice. I'm going to play through it a few more times, I imagine.

Danke, Shepard. For all you've done for many of us.

Some may hate the games for a small blemish, but I will always love the trilogy. The whole franchise. My family. My friends.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #1961 on: March 05, 2013, 04:17:43 pm »
The DLC is out already?  Is it as linear as the previous one or is it a little more replayable?
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline RinellaWasHere

• Man Without Pants
  • The Beast
  • The Scottish Storyteller
« Reply #1962 on: March 05, 2013, 04:31:52 pm »
I'm pretty excited for AC4— then again, I've been an AC fanboy since day one, so that's to be expected.

I mean, yes, the ending of AC3 was annoying, but the game? Good. Damn good. Not perfect, but I had loads of fun with it. Even when the games aren't groundbreaking, mindblowing works of art (I love AC2 so much), they're still pretty high quality. I'm excited to see where this goes.

Art, are you still playing RDR? That's probably my favorite single game of all time (yes, it had a prequel, no, I don't care). Excellent writing and solid gameplay. How are you finding it?
Oh, you take the high road, and I'll take the low road...

My mother did not CHOOSE life. She planned for it.

Is that weird monkey-creature-looking-thing supposed to be a BLACK MAN?

It's Bi-Curious George, well known supporter of the gay agenda.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1963 on: March 05, 2013, 04:36:19 pm »
And Thief 4 is for the consoles.  I never played any of the previous games, because they're on the computer, but this looks interesting.  Question, is this like Hitman and Dishonored where you're supposed to be stealthy but you can butcher people if you feel like it (referring to previous games)?

Thief 3 was for the X-Box (360? I don't recall) as well as the PC, but it was always best played on the PC.

No, it is not like Hitman or Dishonored in that aspect... well, it is and it isn't.

On the normal difficulty setting, you can pretty much kill whoever you want (outside of special missions) with no real repercussions.

On the hard difficulty setting, you can only kill guards and non-humans, not innocents.  Not that this is a particular game-changer since innocents are incredibly easy to knock out even after they spot you.

On the hardest difficult setting, however, you can't kill any humans.  Garrett is a thief, not a murderer.  Killing people is unprofessional.  You can, however, knock them out as you please (with the exception of a single mission in Thief 2)
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #1964 on: March 05, 2013, 05:45:13 pm »
The DLC is out already?  Is it as linear as the previous one or is it a little more replayable?

That depends on what you mean.

There's plenty of things to replay.

But you must understand Mass Effect has never really been a sandbox type deal. It's going to be linear in its DLC. It always has been a game with linear DLC stretching back to the first one.

If you want non-linear find a different game.

However, I will say that the DLC is one of my favorite pieces next to Lair of the Shadow Broker.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 05:50:00 pm by Commander Shepard »

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!