Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1510338 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #4290 on: March 10, 2014, 12:22:27 pm »
As I'm sure we remember, when Xbox Live switched over from Microsoft Points to proper money, they gave everyone a bit of free credit (either that or I had a lot more Microsoft Points than I thought I did). I've been wondering for a while what to spend it on, then I found out that Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge is available. Needless to say, I'll soon find out if it's anywhere near as good as I remember it being.

Oh, I'd just like to mention that in that game, your planes are kept on a giant tie rack inside your personal zeppelin. That should say all that needs to be said, really.

I still love that game, even though I've beat it enough times that I should be bored with it. I'd love to see the series revived with a new game that's a combination of both: the plane building and purchasing of the first game with the free roaming and single storyline of the second.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #4291 on: March 10, 2014, 05:06:25 pm »
Update on my Infiltrator playthrough: I got this close to abandoning it during Archangel's recruitment mission but then I took out six dudes in a row with a series of headshots and everything was beautiful and nothing hurt. I'm definitely having trouble adjusting to the much more cerebral combat style, but even the McRifle from the beginning of the game is pretty awesome.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4292 on: March 13, 2014, 01:14:08 am »
Had a go at Day Z. Unless they give more things to stop people from going bandit on everybody, I have no interest in playing it.
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4293 on: March 13, 2014, 08:01:51 am »
They'll probably do like Ultima Online did and split it between two "worlds," one with the "old," shitty, free-for-all rules, and rules that actually encourage cooperative gameplay.  Oh, and people will bitch fucking incessantly about it for years.  I knew people who fucking bitched about it on free shards (not those run by EA)...over 12 years later.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 08:03:36 am by RavynousHunter »
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4294 on: March 13, 2014, 08:07:14 am »
So kinda like having different servers for PVP and PVE?

Sounds smart.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4295 on: March 13, 2014, 08:33:43 am »
More or less.  The way it was before the Trammel-Felucca split in UO was that, unless you were inside a city's guard boundaries, you were free game for anyone with a weapon or spellbook (with requisite mana and reagents) and the intent to rob you...or just kill you for shits and giggles, carve up your corpse, and decorate their house with your head.

Of course, they were free game for bigger fish, too, and if you killed too many people and they reported you, your bounty would be high enough, and all bounties are posted publicly on an in-game bulletin board outside every bank, that you'd have standing armies of people coming after you to cut you down and take your head to the guards for a fat wad of gold.

This was also before the concept of "item insurance," where you could pay 100 gold (per item) to keep your shit safe should you die, meaning it can't be pillaged off your corpse, and should it decay, you'll not lose 'em.  The pre-Renniasance era of UO fucking sucked, and anyone who bitches against it is just butthurt they can't commit their banditry anywhere, and if they've killed so much their names go red, they can't even enter Trammel, and the Trammel ruleset is the default for all other worlds that aren't Felucca.

[ETA]

Yes, I've played pretty much since the beginning.  Once I get enough steady money, I'll see about getting a UO subscription again, too.  The free shards are great, but there's no community, and in a game like that, that is fucking boring.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 08:36:43 am by RavynousHunter »
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4296 on: March 13, 2014, 08:35:56 am »
As I'm sure we remember, when Xbox Live switched over from Microsoft Points to proper money, they gave everyone a bit of free credit (either that or I had a lot more Microsoft Points than I thought I did). I've been wondering for a while what to spend it on, then I found out that Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge is available. Needless to say, I'll soon find out if it's anywhere near as good as I remember it being.

Oh, I'd just like to mention that in that game, your planes are kept on a giant tie rack inside your personal zeppelin. That should say all that needs to be said, really.

I still love that game, even though I've beat it enough times that I should be bored with it. I'd love to see the series revived with a new game that's a combination of both: the plane building and purchasing of the first game with the free roaming and single storyline of the second.

I know, right? I'm onto my second playthrough now, and I have to say it's a lot of fun utterly curbstomping the early game missions using upgraded late game planes. Especially the Doppelganger, if only for how utterly ridiculous that thing looks.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4297 on: March 13, 2014, 09:49:48 am »

I know, right? I'm onto my second playthrough now, and I have to say it's a lot of fun utterly curbstomping the early game missions using upgraded late game planes. Especially the Doppelganger, if only for how utterly ridiculous that thing looks.
I haven't played that one, just the first Crimson Skies but that game was awesome. I love the setting of the game, might even try to play the boardgame version if I get the chance.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4298 on: March 13, 2014, 10:39:37 am »

I haven't played that one, just the first Crimson Skies but that game was awesome. I love the setting of the game, might even try to play the boardgame version if I get the chance.

If you like the setting, I'd pick up High Road to Revenge. It's an Xbox exclusive (though you can download it from Xbox Live Arcade right now for the 360), and it's more arcadey than the first game but has a bit tighter of a storyline. A cliche pulp storyline, but still not just vaguely connected missions around North America. And Chicago is probably one of the most fun places to have a dogfight.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #4299 on: March 14, 2014, 01:44:06 pm »
Deciding on whether to pick up Titanfall or SP: Stick of Truth next week. Heard good things about both however I know next to nothing about Titanfall.

Also, I never realized how close Tibia Online looks to Ultima 7 after seeing the latter on GOG.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4300 on: March 14, 2014, 02:17:10 pm »
I don't have an Xbox so I won't be getting the game anytime soon, but I might watch a walkthrough or something. If I can find a decent one.

Hey wait, Syaoranvee has a new avatar. Still the same dragonlady unless I'm mistaken.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #4301 on: March 14, 2014, 07:10:09 pm »
Hey wait, Syaoranvee has a new avatar. Still the same dragonlady unless I'm mistaken.

Always needs more Granberia

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #4302 on: March 15, 2014, 08:05:04 pm »
Deciding on whether to pick up Titanfall or SP: Stick of Truth next week. Heard good things about both however I know next to nothing about Titanfall.

Also, I never realized how close Tibia Online looks to Ultima 7 after seeing the latter on GOG.

One of my best friends actually works for EA and worked on Titanfall specifically.  If you like FPSes and giant mecha, Titanfall is your bag for sure.

I finished Stick of Truth in... about 12 hours.  There's some replayability, and achievements, and some different ways to play, but it's probably better to wait for a sale.  $60's just a smidge too high, truth be told.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4303 on: March 15, 2014, 09:39:40 pm »
So I saw the trailer for a game that really interests me behold This War Of Mine! A war game about the civilians caught in the crossfire of war. (Also, I got Titanfall but I'm waiting for it to finish installing the damn thing takes up a good chunk of my first storage device on my new rig.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fv-iwk9DWc (youtube links not working today)

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #4304 on: March 15, 2014, 09:57:59 pm »
Anybody familiar with Papers Please? The only thing I really know about it is that Yahtzee likes it, but it seem pretty interesting.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!