Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1510321 times)

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #4305 on: March 15, 2014, 11:04:28 pm »
Anybody familiar with Papers Please? The only thing I really know about it is that Yahtzee likes it, but it seem pretty interesting.

Papers, Please is a game that takes place in basically what is a dystopia world in a communist state. You work as a person who's job it is to stamp whether a person gets into the country or not and every day various rules are in place of what documents a person needs. The game will also give you choices to make like helping cultists who have a unknown agenda, staying loyal to your country, or making choices on people who give you sob stories at the gate.  Basically each level is a day and the game lasts a month.  There's something like 20 endings.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4306 on: March 17, 2014, 05:17:13 pm »
I hate the fucking retarded new direction UOGamers: Demise took in granting players access to the Spellweaving skill.  Used to be, all you had to do was pay a flat 50,000 gold fee (not an inconsiderable amount of money, mind) and have everything you needed.  Now?  You either do a quest for a group of elves that involves killing extremely powerful enemies, or get thru extremely powerful enemies to get to a group of dickhead elves and run fucking errands for them, like killing 50 rats in an hour.

The problem?  The first quest has a pair of enemies I have to kill, but are no-fucking-where to be found outside getting into a dungeon guarded by fucking daemons and other horrors.  Not something one can solo, or at least not if they're me.  This, again, wouldn't be a problem if the community in-game didn't completely ignore people not spamming shit for sale.  In short, I can't get to know anyone in-game, because nobody fucking talks in-game for something other than selling rare shit.

The second one?  I have to kill rats in that shithole of a camp...and, once a-fucking-gain, they're nowhere to be fucking found.  Its got to be inside that fucking shithole, too, so I can't just go to the Britain sewers and be done inside 5 minutes.  It doesn't help that the 2nd group is completely xenophobic and their dialogue takes every chance to piss on humans.  I want to straight up slaughter their smug arses and steal their power.  Alas, the game won't let me have that honour.

AND PEOPLE WONDER WHY I HATE ELVES!
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4307 on: March 20, 2014, 06:15:11 pm »
Just installed Ground Zeroes!
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4308 on: March 20, 2014, 11:38:52 pm »
A list of things that occurred in one playthrough of the main Ground Zeroes mission:

* Accidentally made a 39.43 meter headshot with a tranquilizer pistol.

* Accidentally released my prisoner twice, forcing me to body slam him in a panic to make up for it.

* Discovered that if you get spotted, it doesn't count as long as you immediately dump 23 rounds out of your completely unsilenced assault rifle into the three guys in front of you before they call for backup.

* Knocked out a guy and got spotted, so I jumped behind cover and waited. Not only did the enemies searching for me never look behind the concrete barricade right in front of them for me, an LAV roared onto the scene (so hard that it smashed a cargo truck into frame on its way in), fired explosive rounds into the nearby gate that killed the unconscious guard, and then continued randomly shooting through the gate at nothing until they decided that I must have disappeared and left.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4309 on: March 22, 2014, 03:52:14 am »
How long is it? I've heard it's pretty short for the price

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #4310 on: March 22, 2014, 04:01:32 am »
Anybody looking to expand their Steam library, Chains is on sale until the 24th.  Puzzle game, for those that like them.

The going price? 50 cents.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #4311 on: March 22, 2014, 05:03:28 am »
It was 40 cents here. and funny enough, I just happened to have 42 cents left in my steam wallet :P

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4312 on: March 22, 2014, 07:53:34 am »
How long is it? I've heard it's pretty short for the price

It's priced accurately for its content (currently $20). The main story mission takes about 2 hours on your first playthrough if you don't try to find all the collectibles and extra content in one go. Then along with the unlockables and such, there's 5 side missions and one unlockable bonus mission. All the missions take place on the same base, but it's a surprisingly large play area with a lot of detail. People are complaining about the length, but hundred percenting it will probably take as long as it takes to beat the campaign of one of the new Call of Duty games.

I'll add some other thoughts on the game here.

* Kiefer Sutherland sounds like he's doing a bored David Hayter impression. He's not bad at all, but he just isn't the same as David Hayter and I miss the old voice.

* The gameplay and story have both been heavily streamlined from the past games. The opening and ending cutscene are fairly long, but nothing compared to Metal Gear Solid 4. There's no giant monologues, 30 minute exposition cutscenes, or conversations that take up a whole hour in the middle of a boss fight. There's smoother transitions in motion as well, which makes moving and hiding much easier.

Offline gomer21xx

• Pope
  • Squick responsibly!
    • RT Gomer Productions
« Reply #4313 on: March 22, 2014, 12:29:32 pm »
A while ago, my girlfriend introduced me to an infamous hack of Pokémon Ruby, called Pokémon Quartz.

It's... special. o.o

Don't believe me?  Seeing is believing!

I even have a whole playlist!
I'm looking for patrons!  How can you help?  Check out my Patreon page! =)

As always, you can catch my podcasts and videos at RT Gomer Productions!

Quote from: TheL
I've seen so many tits, they've blended into one enormous mega boob!

Quote from: The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist
Dude, when Vox Day was born, he shot out the hospital window and over an entire tank of sharks.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #4314 on: March 22, 2014, 01:41:17 pm »
Well, that's....interesting.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #4315 on: March 29, 2014, 05:25:57 pm »
Yes, finally fucking upgraded my computer in time for Dark Souls 2! I heard they had to tune down the graphics for the console release compared to what we saw in the E3 demos, hopefully that didn't affect the PC release (From Software doesn't exactly have a track record of flawless PC releases)

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #4316 on: March 29, 2014, 11:14:06 pm »
FOr any who are interested I recently got Space Engineers* and Payday 2. My steam name is the same as my username here.

*Need to hook my desktop back up to run it properly though. The unoptimized pre-alpha build of the game that's out makes my laptop chug hard and it crashes.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4317 on: March 31, 2014, 11:40:09 pm »
I've tried a few games lately.

Singularity is a sci-fi horror FPS (those are pretty popular). Long story short, most of it revolves around a time manipulating device on your wrist that lets you do things like rapidly age enemies to kill them or rebuild supply chests and bridges to take advantage of them. It's a pretty fun game that runs on the same engine as BioShock, but is much smoother and feels nicer to play even if the plot and atmosphere don't quite match it. Too bad it didn't sell too well.

Also been trying out SWAT 4. It SHOULD be a good game: a realistic SWAT simulator FPS that emphasizes not just killing everything in sight and making sure to keep track of suspects, bag evidence, and restrain literally everyone in the building while shooting civilians with Tasers or beanbag shells if they don't immediately drop to their knees. Unfortunately, it's literally the clunkiest FPS anyone has ever made: you can't even move as fast as a jog at maximum speed, and there's no iron sights at all for guns. Instead you're a slave to an expanding crosshair; moving at your half-jog maximum speed causes the crosshair to shoot so wide that you literally will not hit anybody who isn't standing against the muzzle. If you want to shoot while moving, you need to move at a slow walk to hit anything. Combine that with suspects with rather fast reflexes and good aim, disallowing you from shooting suspects with guns unless they aim at you or a civilian first, and very low HP for everyone, and you've got a recipe for irritating disaster. Doesn't help that your own team is equally enslaved to the rules of engagement and tends to merrily charge in and get half the team killed by one guy with a submachine gun while screaming at him to drop his weapon.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4318 on: March 31, 2014, 11:42:39 pm »
And let's not forget the cherry on top: "You're in my way, sir."

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4319 on: April 01, 2014, 12:12:46 am »