Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1508011 times)

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #5505 on: February 05, 2015, 05:40:12 pm »
http://techraptor.net/content/relationships-indie-gaming-interview-allistair-pinsof-part-2

Phil Fish? A egotist and a dishonest asshole? What a fucking shock!!

Knew it.

Pinsof is a known liar (claims to have been blacklisted from the industry after being fired from Destructoid for insubordination, but has had freelance work accepted by at least Kotaku since then) and all of these allegations have been denied by others. And considering TechRaptor's pro-GamerGate bias, I don't exactly trust someone they report on.

According to this article (which, unlike the TechRaptor interview, goes out of its way to fact check), Pinsof lied about what he was told by Tiff Chow and completely misrepresented what the Fantastic Arcades event even IS in the first place (the idea is that the games showcased by Fantastic Arcades is that ALL of them are worthy of being commended, so they do things like give Octodad the "Implied Cephalopod Intercourse Award.")

Shawn McGrath denies the allegations put forth by Pinsof about him and Fish. In fact, while McGrath is annoyed that Fish was using his idea, he didn't care enough to make an issue out of it. In his own words: "So I was just like, 'Fuck it, who cares?' This isn't actually that important. I don't have anything to do with the game, I've moved on with my life, I've made a game since then, I don't even care about this anymore. I kinda wish this would just never have happened."

These facts have also made Pinsof revise some of his initial statements, so that's a giant red flag right there.

So, yeah, this interview is character assassination on the part of GamerGate. I don't like Phil Fish, either, but let's stick to the facts, shall we?
Ah, thanks for the corrections. I'll make sure to edit the original post to that effect.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5506 on: February 05, 2015, 07:00:31 pm »
http://techraptor.net/content/relationships-indie-gaming-interview-allistair-pinsof-part-2

Phil Fish? A egotist and a dishonest asshole? What a fucking shock!!

Knew it.

Pinsof is a known liar (claims to have been blacklisted from the industry after being fired from Destructoid for insubordination, but has had freelance work accepted by at least Kotaku since then) and all of these allegations have been denied by others.

Interesting.  Do you have sources?

And considering TechRaptor's pro-GamerGate bias, I don't exactly trust someone they report on.

That's important to consider, but it shouldn't be rejected out of hand.

According to this article (which, unlike the TechRaptor interview, goes out of its way to fact check), Pinsof lied about what he was told by Tiff Chow and completely misrepresented what the Fantastic Arcades event even IS in the first place (the idea is that the games showcased by Fantastic Arcades is that ALL of them are worthy of being commended, so they do things like give Octodad the "Implied Cephalopod Intercourse Award.")

Well, I don't trust Kotaku anymore, but I'm willing to entertain the possibility that they're right.

Shawn McGrath denies the allegations put forth by Pinsof about him and Fish. In fact, while McGrath is annoyed that Fish was using his idea, he didn't care enough to make an issue out of it. In his own words: "So I was just like, 'Fuck it, who cares?' This isn't actually that important. I don't have anything to do with the game, I've moved on with my life, I've made a game since then, I don't even care about this anymore. I kinda wish this would just never have happened."

Actions mean different things to different people.

These facts have also made Pinsof revise some of his initial statements, so that's a giant red flag right there.

Do you have sources?

So, yeah, this interview is character assassination on the part of GamerGate. I don't like Phil Fish, either, but let's stick to the facts, shall we?

"Assassination?"  "Assisted suicide" is more accurate.  And honestly, I think your anti-GG bias is kind of clouding your judgment.  The fact that you accuse the movement of having the worst possible motives isn't exactly something I can ignore.

But I agree with you, GamerGate should trust but verify.  This wouldn't be the first time something like this has happened.  Gators have been fooled either by honest misunderstandings (Zoe Quinn's alleged charity fraud) or outright lies (a notorious fake screenshot of Nick Denton's Facebook page).  However, once these "facts" turn out to be untrue, the movement acknowledges them as such.  It's not as bad as it could be, but it could still be somewhat better.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5507 on: February 05, 2015, 07:03:03 pm »
OH LOOK IT'S THIS SHIT AGAIN!

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
« Reply #5508 on: February 05, 2015, 07:10:20 pm »
UP will soon get a knock on the door from the Tone Police, at this rate.

Now, I'm off to hijack a random Prius and try to rescue Tupac from the terrorists while singing "Danger Zone" at the top of my voice.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 07:30:08 pm by Second Coming of Madman »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #5509 on: February 05, 2015, 07:31:08 pm »

Am I really that interesting to you, Ibbles?  When are you gonna give up and confess?

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #5510 on: February 05, 2015, 08:24:56 pm »

Yeah, I'm not going to dignify UP with an argument. I just don't care anymore.
Who needs a signature?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5511 on: February 05, 2015, 09:44:04 pm »

It's kind of amazing how chewed up and beaten this topic is and people still bring it up.

Ironbite-just let it go for gods sake.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #5512 on: February 06, 2015, 12:22:18 am »
I will delete any responses regarding gamergate.

Thats the only warning you're gonna get.
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #5513 on: February 06, 2015, 02:52:52 am »

It's kind of amazing how chewed up and beaten this topic is and people still bring it up.

Ironbite-just let it go for gods sake.

Mostly it's because I've said my peace... several times and anyone who either doesn't care or disagrees with me at this point isn't going to be convinced. Is the industry really so boring right now that there aren't any other controversies to latch on to?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 02:54:48 am by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #5514 on: February 06, 2015, 11:50:44 am »
Gawker media destroyed a Coca-cola promotion on twitter and most likely got some one fired. Just saying I never trust Gawker media related sites. Or at least take what they say with a pinch of salt.

I actually have Fez in my PS4 Library. Aside from Phill Fish and his assholeness, is the game any good?

(it was free on PS+ so I added it to my account but never got round to downloading it.)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #5515 on: February 06, 2015, 12:16:40 pm »
I will delete any responses regarding gamergate.

Thats the only warning you're gonna get.

Fine then, I won't bring it up here again.

Gawker media destroyed a Coca-cola promotion on twitter and most likely got some one fired. Just saying I never trust Gawker media related sites. Or at least take what they say with a pinch of salt.

I actually have Fez in my PS4 Library. Aside from Phill Fish and his assholeness, is the game any good?

(it was free on PS+ so I added it to my account but never got round to downloading it.)

I think so.  But then again, I also liked Shadow the Hedgehog, so what do I know?

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
« Reply #5516 on: February 06, 2015, 09:37:29 pm »
Due to my ongoing interest in the antics of the Wu-Tang Clan, I watched a stream of the /r/trollshieldinginaction member Hatman playing Revolution 60 and talking to the queen bee of the hive herself. So, I got the following out of this experience and decided to share them:

Well, what I observed besides that I'm never trusting any review by Kotaku again. There's some actual ethics in journalism for you, UP (ZING!).

• There's apparently a companion novel for the game, which I wasn't aware of. This came up after Hatman brought up how utterly confusing the basic story was after his second playthrough on the hardest difficulty (Little to no exposition outside of random snatches of info in the loading screens, three choices alone affecting the ending, and a ripoff of EA's patent). Guess what Wu told him to do?
  • Read the fucking companion novel for a IOS game, goddamn it. I don't want to, nor do I have to explain why I don't want to read a fucking companion novel for a IOS game to understand it's story. That just goes without saying.
  • The gameplay is hilariously unbalanced towards the player, at Brutal Doom levels. Hat managed to beat it in three hours on the hardest difficulty, in what is allegedly a Mass Effect-esque game. There is no "game over" screen, merely a cutscene of the player character injecting herself with nanites and getting back to the fight just as injured as before.
  • Really, really obscure references fucking everywhere. For example, there's a line to benzos being used to deal with pain. Wu explained that this was a reference to one of the cut scripts of Alien 3 (UGGGHHHHHH).

So, what is the audience for Revolution 60? I can't really see the appeal here, from these factors.

-Casual, yet story driven.
-Story driven, yet requires a 5$ purchase of a book to understand anything.
-Aimed for new gamers, yet suffers from incredibly obscure Sci Fi references in the middle of "important" dialogue.
-Built for women in mind, yet has the most sexist portrayals of women in Sci-Fi I've seen in a long time. Mini-skirts, Catsuits, leotards, cleavage windows, the whole damn shebang. Not to mention the egregarious thigh gaps. And that's before she allegedly edited the models for the PC version (Which is bullshit, as it uses UE resources) of the body elements of the sexist portrayal.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 09:51:37 pm by Second Coming of Madman »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #5517 on: February 06, 2015, 11:37:08 pm »
And let's not forget the fact that Wu misused Patreon money:

Also, I think she might be spending it on other things, as well:

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
« Reply #5518 on: February 06, 2015, 11:48:33 pm »

*SNIP*

Wu's a privileged 1% trust fund kid. For all we know, she could have bought that motorcycle with her own money and all.

I don't like the woman and quite honestly think she's a shithead, but let's not jump to conclusions here.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #5519 on: February 06, 2015, 11:52:17 pm »

*SNIP*

Wu's a privileged 1% trust fund kid. For all we know, she could have bought that motorcycle with her own money and all.

I don't like the woman and quite honestly think she's a shithead, but let's not jump to conclusions here.

Look at the first picture again.  She admitted to misleading people about her Patreon.