Author Topic: The Rhetoric of Iraq  (Read 910 times)

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
The Rhetoric of Iraq
« on: March 18, 2013, 11:42:37 am »
Since we already have a thread on the possibility that Nixon purposefully sabatoged Vietnam peace talks, I figured this piece by former Bush speechwriter David Frum would make an interesting companion thread. Some of you may not recognize David Frum's name, but rest assured, you're familiar with his work whether you know it or not. Remember the "Axis of evil"? That phrase was his doing. At any rate, this essay is interesting because it comes from someone with inside knowledge of the messaging that was used to sway opinion in favor of the war.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
Re: The Rhetoric of Iraq
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 11:53:13 am »
The axis of evil was a great phrase because it was total bullshit (really Sadaam hates Iran)

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
Re: The Rhetoric of Iraq
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 12:02:55 pm »
The axis of evil was a great phrase because it was total bullshit (really Sadaam hates Iran)
Personally I was struck by this part:

In 2002, Chalabi joined the annual summer retreat of the American Enterprise Institute near Vail, Colorado. He and Cheney spent long hours together, contemplating the possibilities of a Western-oriented Iraq: an additional source of oil, an alternative to U.S. dependency on an unstable-looking Saudi Arabia.