Author Topic: H.R. 748, a step to slavery  (Read 8906 times)

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
Re: H.R. 784, a step to slavery
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2013, 03:54:02 am »
I believe in getting rid of the draft altogether, but if not, women should have to register as well.

I doubt the military would take me even if I wanted to join though. I can't do push-ups very well or run without getting winded and I have severe depression and anxiety.

Distind

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2013, 06:46:08 am »
In this congressional climate?  Are they insane?

Ironbite-won't pass through the Senate and even if it does, will be vetoed.
Pretty much,

I mean they neutered the draft ages ago, and with the sheer level of entitlement this generation the whining would be enough to incapacitate the entire nation should this actually pass.

But hey, I'm to old! *Hits the dance floor*

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2013, 07:23:20 am »
Is everyone overlooking the line that says you can do your service in a civilian position and avoid the military altogether? If this had been in place when I had to register, that's the option I would have taken.

I'm going to post this again, since it seems everyone is still ignoring it.

There is a provision to do civilian work, in the US. Don't want to go to war? Fine, build a road. Disabled? Fine, teach kids to read.

I agree, there are several problems with this bill. But focusing on the military aspects and grouching about those isn't really discussing the bill. All you are going is grouching about the draft, which we've had for decades.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 07:25:47 am by erictheblue »
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2013, 09:19:04 am »
First, the title is incorrect.  It's HR 748, not 784. 

Second, it's predicted to have about 1% chance of passing.

Third, it was introduced by a Democrat.  Just what we need, more fuel for the Right.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2013, 09:32:30 am »

Second, it's predicted to have about 1% chance of passing.

Third, it was introduced by a Democrat.  Just what we need, more fuel for the Right.

If a Republican introduced this, it wouldn't be considered a black mark on their record by the media.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2013, 09:33:34 am »
All you are going is grouching about the draft, which we've had for decades.
You forgot to say "Too old" and then start dancing.

Distind

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2013, 10:42:35 am »
Shows how much attention the lot of us is paying. Corrected the title as it's a matter of fact.

But yeah, national service bills come up like clockwork. It's only the reasoning that changes, I remember bitching about one of these back in highschool quite clearly.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2013, 12:29:29 pm »
I mean they neutered the draft ages ago, and with the sheer level of entitlement this generation the whining would be enough to incapacitate the entire nation should this actually pass.

Perhaps if it was to pass it would help that entitlement problem.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2013, 12:34:52 pm »
Is everyone overlooking the line that says you can do your service in a civilian position and avoid the military altogether? If this had been in place when I had to register, that's the option I would have taken.

I'm going to post this again, since it seems everyone is still ignoring it.

There is a provision to do civilian work, in the US. Don't want to go to war? Fine, build a road. Disabled? Fine, teach kids to read.

I agree, there are several problems with this bill. But focusing on the military aspects and grouching about those isn't really discussing the bill. All you are going is grouching about the draft, which we've had for decades.

There's also the fact that this only goes into effect if the United States actually declares war, which we haven't done since World War II.  Really, this is an improvement over our current system, which (as far as I know) does not include non-military options, and excludes women.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: H.R. 748, a step to slavery
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2013, 02:03:57 pm »
I started a dance sensation!  The "I'm Too Old!" boogie!

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2013, 02:22:14 pm »

I assume that like most modern dancing it consists mainly of dry humping?
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2013, 03:44:49 pm »
Two years max, if gone to war, with civilian concept and expand the needs to women instead of just men.

I honestly think this is a good change because it expands it to a higher detail. I mean, it'd be better than the current system I feel like. It's an improvement more or less.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2013, 04:00:47 pm »

I assume that like most modern dancing it consists mainly of dry humping?

I'm thinking something more along the lines of "The Charleston"

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-8kK4J3s2I" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-8kK4J3s2I</a>

(which btw I would love to learn)
or even the Varsity Drag

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ap9sNjz8L0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ap9sNjz8L0</a>
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 05:02:56 pm by Empress Nicki »

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2013, 04:07:02 pm »
I have no problem with a universal military draft.  I was drafted back in '54 and it did me no lasting harm.  Truth be known, I rather enjoyed the Army.  I'm not real big on drafting for civilian purposes, however.  Nonetheless, our reactions here demonstrate that we are all keen on rights, duties not so much.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2013, 07:00:38 pm »
Nonetheless, our reactions here demonstrate that we are all keen on rights, duties not so much.
I don't have a duty to die for business interests.