Author Topic: Bernie Sanders Takes the lead in Iowa  (Read 7944 times)

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
Re: Bernie Sanders Takes the lead in Iowa
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2015, 08:46:56 am »
That's probably because we younglings know we've been shafted by our parents and grandparents.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2015, 10:50:22 am »
Young people tend to be a lot more leftist than their parents though? This is not exactly news.

(IIRC, The Authoritarians had a bit where it studied people's opinions as they age and found that going to college tends to make people trend towards the left, and having children makes them trend towards the right)
Σא

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2015, 10:29:38 pm »

Offline VainRobot

• Apprentice
  • The Poster Formerly Known as Mira
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2015, 01:04:34 am »
23% in SC is HUGE! Last poll there showed Bernie at 9%.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2015, 04:02:21 am »
I have a feeling if Clinton wins the nomination, the GOP will have a better chance of winning the election.  With Sanders gaining so much support, his losing would p*** off a lot of people, and those people may just decide, "aw **** it!" when it comes to the actual election.

For the debates, Clinton is probably going to try and say the same things as Sanders, counting on her popularity to carry her the rest of the way.  If this happens, he needs to get aggressive and call her out on her B.S.  He doesn't have to resort to mudslinging.  But if Clinton says she supports 'A,' Sanders needs to jump in with, 'but you voted against it last term.' 

He also needs to be a little more specific in his plans.  Saying he wants free college and medical for all sounds nice, but he needs to say where it's coming from.  Even explaining that, "If we pulled x% from our military budget, we could afford to cover 'y' and still have plenty of money to steamroll others if we have to, which WILL be a last resort.'

Oct 7 may be a big night for him; he can either leap past Clinton or fall back into her shadow. 

I'm so hoping for the former.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline VainRobot

• Apprentice
  • The Poster Formerly Known as Mira
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2015, 04:51:02 am »
It seems Hillary is shying away from the progressive tactics and has instead started labeling herself as a moderate:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/10/politics/hillary-clinton-democrat-progressive/index.html

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2015, 05:12:07 am »
It seems Hillary is shying away from the progressive tactics and has instead started labeling herself as a moderate:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/10/politics/hillary-clinton-democrat-progressive/index.html

"Some people want it to be about everything other than what they would do when they are president," Clinton said. "I think it really matters that people tell you what they will do and how they intend to do it, not just in broad stokes but in details. How are you the voters supposed to make up your minds?"

Gotta agree with this part.  Sounds like Clinton is challenging Sanders to be more specific with his speeches and promises.  Of course, if could blow up in her face if he does just that.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

pyro

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2015, 05:45:26 pm »
... also? yes please, Sanders for the win.  Because I'd LOVE to see something like a Minimum Basic Income become a thing.

I would too, but I want a specific statement that he's going to do exactly that. I thought Obamacare was going to be a nationalized health care system like the UK has, and look what we actually got.

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2015, 05:49:23 pm »
I want a Sanders/Warren ticket, I drool at the thought of it's possibility.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2015, 06:07:34 pm »
From the mouth?

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2015, 06:12:16 pm »
Well, now that you mention it.....

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2015, 07:13:25 pm »
... also? yes please, Sanders for the win.  Because I'd LOVE to see something like a Minimum Basic Income become a thing.

I would too, but I want a specific statement that he's going to do exactly that. I thought Obamacare was going to be a nationalized health care system like the UK has, and look what we actually got.

Isn't the Affordable Care Act essentially what the Republicans proposed when Hillary Clinton pitched her vision for health care 20+ years ago?
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

pyro

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2015, 07:41:01 pm »

Isn't the Affordable Care Act essentially what the Republicans proposed when Hillary Clinton pitched her vision for health care 20+ years ago?

Yep. That's what's so screwed up -- former Republican politics is now COMMUNISM AND IT'S GOING TO TURN US INTO SOVIET RUSSIA.

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2015, 08:00:32 pm »
And that's without that horrible public option that would make it SUPER COMMUNISM.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2015, 12:55:25 pm »
But Obamacare was cool when Romney did it in Massachusetts.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.