Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1514936 times)

Saturn500

Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #2130 on: March 28, 2013, 09:29:47 am »
Well I've decided to jump on a bandwagon extremely late and got myself Garry's Mod for a whopping $2.49

I don't have Half Life 2, though, so this should be interesting...

The game comes with a handful of stuff from Half-Life 2 (since most Valve games reuse assets, it's easy to grab and copy them), but you may be missing quite a bit. Garry's Mod did start as a purely Half-Life 2 thing, after all.

Regardless, I find that the biggest draw is actually the multiplayer. Trouble In Terrorist Town is an especially popular one; try to go for the Crowbar Gaming server.

Don't forget the NoXiousNet game modes (if you can handle the stupidity of the playerbase).

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #2131 on: March 28, 2013, 12:29:51 pm »
So far I have only downloaded DLC for one game, Dark Souls. if the new Bioshock gets some new story related content, I'm on that like a motherfucker. There were a few things I missed from the original Bioshocks though: the gun model changing with upgrades, the wider variety of plasmids/vigors. I think a inventory system like the one from System Shock 2 would be nice, being able to carry more than 2 guns and not having to dump gear permanently when you find replacements.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #2132 on: March 28, 2013, 01:51:45 pm »
So far I have only downloaded DLC for one game, Dark Souls. if the new Bioshock gets some new story related content, I'm on that like a motherfucker. There were a few things I missed from the original Bioshocks though: the gun model changing with upgrades, the wider variety of plasmids/vigors. I think a inventory system like the one from System Shock 2 would be nice, being able to carry more than 2 guns and not having to dump gear permanently when you find replacements.

It has 3 DLC planned... so I'm sure there is some story DLC in the works.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2133 on: March 29, 2013, 09:46:24 pm »
I'm gonna get skewered for this, but I don't find Garrett's apparent new mask in Thief IV to be out-of-place.  But, 'fore you get the torches and pitchforks, lemme 'splain.  Garrett's a thief, a criminal in a city where death is a frequent punishment for far lesser offenses.  Therefore, it'd make sense for him to wear a mask, to conceal his identity and make it so the guards and such have a harder time identifying him.

Might be a bit off, but at least its got a decent, logical reason behind it.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2134 on: March 29, 2013, 10:04:43 pm »
I'm gonna get skewered for this, but I don't find Garrett's apparent new mask in Thief IV to be out-of-place.  But, 'fore you get the torches and pitchforks, lemme 'splain.  Garrett's a thief, a criminal in a city where death is a frequent punishment for far lesser offenses.  Therefore, it'd make sense for him to wear a mask, to conceal his identity and make it so the guards and such have a harder time identifying him.

Shit, the guy can't even walk down the street at night without guards calling him a thief and trying to stab him on sight.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2135 on: March 29, 2013, 11:17:15 pm »

Why am I not surprised people are whining about something as simple as a cloth mask?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #2136 on: March 30, 2013, 02:12:46 am »
(click to show/hide)

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2137 on: March 30, 2013, 02:23:51 am »
(click to show/hide)

I think the ending followed the same path Ken Levine did with his previous games by subverting gamers' expectations.

(click to show/hide)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2138 on: March 30, 2013, 04:01:08 am »

Why am I not surprised people are whining about something as simple as a cloth mask?

Because a lot of the more adamant bits of the Thief fandom are complete wankers with whom Garrett would be ashamed to be associated?  (badumtsh!)
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2139 on: March 30, 2013, 04:33:06 am »

Because a lot of the more adamant bits of the Thief fandom are complete wankers with whom Garrett would be ashamed to be associated?  (badumtsh!)

Pretty much.

Now that I think about it, didn't Garrett's model in Thief 2 have a cloth mask?  I remember thinking "Oh I didn't expect that" when an LPer showed me his model with one of those camera devices.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #2140 on: March 31, 2013, 09:51:59 pm »
Finished Mass Effect 1 again but I kinda rushed it. It won't hurt me too badly later on. Now I'm on to ME2 and hello the real TIM.

Also, the PS3 version basically had an HD upgrade.

&

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2141 on: April 01, 2013, 10:01:53 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USHtoo2EVEc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USHtoo2EVEc</a>

So this is here now.

I gotta say, I'm not sure how I feel about Garrett's new VA.  I miss Stephen Russell, but I wanna give this guy a chance, too.  Who knows?  Maybe he can pull off Deadpan Snark just as well as Russell could.

I gotta say, though, the nod towards the gamers who "Ghost" the Thief games was brilliant.  A great way to show that the people responsible for marketing know their audience.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 10:03:57 pm by Magus Silveresti »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2142 on: April 01, 2013, 10:06:06 pm »
I know I'm late to the party, but I've started a play-through of the original Bioshock. Damn, that's a fantastic game. When I'm done, I'm definitely going to play both of the System Shocks (that is assuming I can legally download System Shock from somewhere).

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2143 on: April 01, 2013, 11:11:24 pm »
I know I'm late to the party, but I've started a play-through of the original Bioshock. Damn, that's a fantastic game. When I'm done, I'm definitely going to play both of the System Shocks (that is assuming I can legally download System Shock from somewhere).

System Shock 2 can be legally downloaded for $10 from Good Old Games. The original one can only be played on DOS, meaning that it's effectively legal to emulate it. This link on what's as close as you'll get to an official System Shock fan forum packages the emulator with the game, so all you need to do is download, follow the instructions given when you start the game, and play.

Keep in mind, though, it's a 1994 FPS that was one of the first (if not THE first) to have full 3D environments, including looking up and down and even leaning like a modern tactical shooter. It's also got a lot of items and weapons (more than both BioShocks combined, probably), alternate ammo types, audio emails and logs, and interactive environments. All in an era when most computers didn't have a mouse. So even with the mouselook mod packaged with the game in the link I gave, it's extremely clunky. The mouselook mod doesn't even really make it a full FPS control scheme: it works by locking the cursor to the center of the screen and making it so that the mouse motions control the camera, so it works like a regular FPS most of the time until you pick up an item and need to Tab back to "inventory mode" (really the actual mode the game was played in) to put it in your inventory. Trying to play it without the mouselook mod basically requires relearning how to play computer games.

Also, you may notice a ridiculous amount of similarities with BioShock when you play System Shock 2. Along with the aforementioned audio logs, radio/email communication with someone guiding you, and alternate ammo types, you've got the ghosts retelling what occurred before you arrived, researching enemies to gain bonuses against them (though much more in depth, involving the right chemicals from storerooms around the game to research and requiring certain items and weapons to be researched before they can be used), a short hacking minigame that can be bypassed with a limited amount of automatic devices, vending machines that can be hacked and dispense both standard and unusual items side-by-side (like grenades and chips), a grenade launcher instead of throwable grenades, hackable turrets, security cameras that summon enemies if they see you for too long, and various psionic powers that require hypos to recharge. And Ken Levine's preference for messing with common video game tropes and playing on the player's expectations as part of the plot. Though really, everyone knows the plot twist by now.

That said, it's also much more detailed than BioShock in some manner. There's several different melee weapons with different properties, firearms degrade and can break (requiring maintenance tools or a repair skill to fix), it has a large RPG-style stat system that requires upgrading your stats to wield certain weapons or perform research and learn new psionic powers, and a grid inventory with limited space (upgradeable by increasing your Strength stat or taking a one-time boost from one of 4 upgrade machines in the game), and implants (basically like gene tonics in BioShock) have limited power and are disposable items.

One good tip: if you raise your Standard weapon skill to 6, you can use the assault rifle (there's on available from the first deck if you know the Medical armory code or hack it open). It takes the same ammo as the pistol, but fully automatic and with much higher damage. Since pistols are the most common firearm after the shotguns that many enemies use and you can take ammo from discarded guns, it makes the pistol obsolete and will probably become a primary firearm for the whole game.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2144 on: April 01, 2013, 11:51:45 pm »
The original one can only be played on DOS, meaning that it's effectively legal to emulate it. This link on what's as close as you'll get to an official System Shock fan forum packages the emulator with the game, so all you need to do is download, follow the instructions given when you start the game, and play.
Emulation is fine, yes. But only if either the game is freeware or you've already paid for it. System Shock is not freeware and since I don't already own a copy, downloading it for free would be piracy.