Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1514913 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #2565 on: June 04, 2013, 01:48:09 pm »
As of last night, there's STILL graphical issues. It takes about a second after respawning for the textures to pop in, and sometimes you'll run into a building and find that they just plain won't come in at ALL while you're in there.

I'm doing decently so far. Picked up a new swarm launcher and SMG as salvage, though I haven't trained my skills up to use either of them. I've only been in a few battles, so right now I have no ties to anyone. Just playing the field and getting paid.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #2566 on: June 04, 2013, 02:11:02 pm »
The nice thing about the game is that the dudes who've been paying cash for weapons don't have a massive advantage over the new players. you can do pretty well with starter gear.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2567 on: June 04, 2013, 02:17:07 pm »
I checked the leaderboards last night. Less than a month and the top killer (I think it's 13EAR) has over 16,000 kills. The beta began on January 22, which is 133 days. So if he began on the date of open beta, that's 120.3 kills per day. 5 kills an hour if he played nonstop. Assuming he only played 2 hours a day, that's 60 kills in a day of play.

And again, I'm assuming he began with open beta. The official release was May 14. That's 666.6 kills per day if he started there

Edit: Holy crap I was wrong. I just checked the leaderboard. It's 70,000 kills.

Well, fuck that then.

There's also a dude who's made close to 400 kills without a single death according to his K/D R.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 02:38:20 pm by chitoryu12 »

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2568 on: June 04, 2013, 06:07:47 pm »
I can't help but think of how well Far Cry 3 would work for so many other settings after seeing what they did with Blood Dragon. It really does combine open-world stealth and action very well, and I think it could be applied to a lot more. Maybe something post-apocalyptic or a special forces game?

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2569 on: June 05, 2013, 12:43:21 am »
Ubisoft please have a mod competition

Distind

« Reply #2570 on: June 05, 2013, 09:38:25 pm »
Ok, did anyone else think this was going to be an awesome month, then check all the release dates and find them in the last damn week? Annoying.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2571 on: June 05, 2013, 09:54:53 pm »
Ubisoft please have a mod competition

Or Bethesda should have a modding competition.

Ironbite-though I think the guys from Project Brazil might have a leg up.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2572 on: June 05, 2013, 10:07:51 pm »
Ok, did anyone else think this was going to be an awesome month, then check all the release dates and find them in the last damn week? Annoying.

This just seems like an awesome year, period. BioShock Infinite, The Last of Us, Beyond Two Souls, GTA V, Watch Dogs, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon....

Speaking of which, early reviews of The Last of Us are raving over it. It's in the 95% zone on places like Metacritic, and the Wikipedia list of reviews is a long line of 9s and 10s.

Except Gamespot, which gave it an 8. So fuck 'em.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2573 on: June 06, 2013, 12:48:43 am »
They gave Dust an Elysian a 7 and Skyward a 7.5 so fuck em

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2574 on: June 06, 2013, 01:49:52 am »
Is Dust 514 getting a 7 too little or too much? I like the connections with EVE and the use of a real marketplace and gear that gets lost (so you actually need to budget yourself instead of like Call of Duty, where you buy the high level gear after grinding a lot and then you're forever superior), but the actual gameplay and graphics are a bit lacking. The MCC explosion, in particular, looks like something from the PS2 era.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2575 on: June 06, 2013, 02:02:22 am »
Not to mention, Skyward Sword supposedly re-uses the same three areas over and over again and though the Wii motion plus helps tighten the controls, latency is still as bad as ever. It's like the home console version of Phantom Hourglass.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2576 on: June 06, 2013, 02:11:02 am »
The area reuse was bad but the dungeons were great.  And actually the controls were almost perfect.  The reviewer seemed to be baffled entirely and didn't really try to learn.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2577 on: June 06, 2013, 03:40:31 am »
and though the Wii motion plus helps tighten the controls, latency is still as bad as ever.

...Er... what latency?

I own the game and have no latency with the controls.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2578 on: June 06, 2013, 04:04:39 am »
and though the Wii motion plus helps tighten the controls, latency is still as bad as ever.

...Er... what latency?

I haven't played it myself, it just seems to be a common theme with others who have.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2579 on: June 06, 2013, 02:44:18 pm »

...Er... what latency?

I haven't played it myself, it just seems to be a common theme with others who have.

More uncommon than common, I'd think.

The "backtracking" complaint makes sense to a degree... except that unlike most other games with backtracking, sometimes the entire nature of the area changes, such as when Faron is flooded.  Still, there is a lot of backtracking...

Honestly, most of the complaints I hear about Skyward Sword isn't because of the controls (except from reviewers who didn't even try), but because it's not like the old thing, it's a new thing, and it's "too easy" and aimed at "dem filthy casuals" and other bullshit like that.

I had one person insist that video games were purely for challenging the player, and that "playing for fun" was a terrible reason to play games and the reason that the video game industry is "going downhill".
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet