Author Topic: Election 2012 Thread  (Read 69394 times)

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
Re: Election 2012 Thread
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2012, 03:14:43 pm »

Vyper, you're not from California right? It was pretty ugly 4 years ago - not as ugly as it's gotten but it was pretty bad. Though that might be because of the confluence of Prop 8 (gimmie 3 cheers for the Reverse Trojan Horse Proposition) nonsense

Nope, florida, and we had Amendment 2, but since SSM wasn't legal in the first place, it wasn't mentioned much.  North Florida, though where I live, has a very large fundamentalist population.  Ironically it also has a very large gay and lesbian population (according to my wife, who is very active with helping the LGBT community).
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2012, 04:07:35 pm »
Ok, so in Maryland the issue of SSM is on the ballot. The law was passed but enough conservitards whined loudly enough to get it set up as a ballot initiative, Question 6. And it turns out some of the local churches are going to station dickwads at polling places to harass people against SSM. So this will be a good opportunity for me to get some questions answered, like how man and woman only is "biblical" marriage when those other verses from the bible support the other forms (which reminds me, I need to look those verses up). And how if marriage is supposedly a religious thingy, how about non Christians marrying? And if marriage is supposedly that sacred, I want to hear an explanation for divorce rates so freaking high. And lastly, I want to know how two people of the same sex cheapens what me and my wife have.

So as you can imagine, I was happy to hear I might get to ask some of these questions. But then I thought maybe I was being some combination of ignorant and selfish. I thought perhaps you guys here had some questions I could ask. Ones perhaps I had missed or you want answers to. If you can let me know tonight or tomorrow morning (Eastern time zone), I'll try to ask them and get answers. And if possible, put the answers on YouTube.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2012, 04:16:39 pm »
Ask about divorce. They always argue that somehow SSM ruins the sanctity of marriage, but tend to be okay with divorce. You'd think they'd be against divorce since the vows have that til death part in them. How is breaking that not ruining the sanctity of marriage?

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2012, 05:20:23 pm »
Fucking bomb scare at early voting location...It ain't even fucking election day yet.

But Orange County Elections Supervisor Bill Cowles reopened the polls at one site, a library in the Orlando suburb of Winter Park, from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday.

The library was evacuated and voting there was suspended for four hours on Saturday because suspicious items were found on the grounds. A bomb squad safely detonated both - a cooler containing small electronics and what investigators described as a bag of miscellaneous garbage.

Ballots cast at the library on Sunday will be held as provisional ballots in case of a successful challenge to the judge's ruling that allowed the voting to resume on Sunday.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/04/us-usa-campaign-florida-idUSBRE8A30GG20121104

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2012, 05:54:11 pm »
Ok, so in Maryland the issue of SSM is on the ballot. The law was passed but enough conservitards whined loudly enough to get it set up as a ballot initiative, Question 6. And it turns out some of the local churches are going to station dickwads at polling places to harass people against SSM. So this will be a good opportunity for me to get some questions answered, like how man and woman only is "biblical" marriage when those other verses from the bible support the other forms (which reminds me, I need to look those verses up). And how if marriage is supposedly a religious thingy, how about non Christians marrying? And if marriage is supposedly that sacred, I want to hear an explanation for divorce rates so freaking high. And lastly, I want to know how two people of the same sex cheapens what me and my wife have.

So as you can imagine, I was happy to hear I might get to ask some of these questions. But then I thought maybe I was being some combination of ignorant and selfish. I thought perhaps you guys here had some questions I could ask. Ones perhaps I had missed or you want answers to. If you can let me know tonight or tomorrow morning (Eastern time zone), I'll try to ask them and get answers. And if possible, put the answers on YouTube.

I'd just like to know how they can block it on religious grounds when a number of religions, including several Christian ones, support it.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2012, 06:58:53 pm »

Apparently some machines in Ohio have been "malfuctioning".

Is this the right place for this?

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2012, 07:40:36 pm »
So will anyone have trouble sleeping tonight?  Me I don't know.  I want to believe it will be just a normal day and come tomorrow night (probably late night) Obama will win and all we be fine.  But of course there is still that nagging thought in the back of my mind that something stupid will happen.  Maybe the GOP will try something out of desperation?  Maybe somehow Romney is called the winner?  It is just that unknown annoying feeling that I have a hard time shaking off.  All I do know though is I plan on voting tomorrow and I know I'll be extra cautious to see if anything I notice is amiss (or hopefully not) when I vote.
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2012, 07:58:51 pm »
Does anyone have some wood to knock on?

Irish Betting Company So Sure Obama Will Win It’s Paying Out a Day Early:

The controversial Irish bookmaker Paddy Power is certain President Obama is a lock for another four years in the White House. How certain? With over 24 hours remaining before an official winner is declared, the company is already paying out over $800,000 to the gamblers who picked Obama over Romney.  Known for its headline-grabbing gimmicks, Paddy Power announced the move in a half-page ad that ran in today's Irish Times and the Times of London. Not very surprising coming from the bookie that temporarily changed its name to "O'Bama Power" last year, but the early payout and the provocative ad still bothered a few people.

http://gawker.com/5957867/irish-betting-company-so-sure-obama-will-win-its-paying-out-a-day-early

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2012, 08:12:43 pm »

I'd say its the right place. *eyes Ohio Republicans warily*

Offline Hades

• Balsiest Motherfucker Present
  • The Beast
  • This is a ride, not a fight
    • Fruits of Apathy
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2012, 08:17:41 pm »
I am reminded of this. It's much less funny when it actually happens.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aBaX9GPSaQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aBaX9GPSaQ</a>
22:22 <SugarFreeJazz> the time for hats is now

"I don't know what it is, but nothing makes me hard like the thought of Megan Fox without any skin." - Existentialist Goofy

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2012, 08:20:22 pm »
I just hope the local teabagger(Nan Hayworth R-NY 19th) is kicked out of office...can't stand her.

So will anyone have trouble sleeping tonight?  Me I don't know.  I want to believe it will be just a normal day and come tomorrow night (probably late night) Obama will win and all we be fine.  But of course there is still that nagging thought in the back of my mind that something stupid will happen.  Maybe the GOP will try something out of desperation?  Maybe somehow Romney is called the winner?  It is just that unknown annoying feeling that I have a hard time shaking off.  All I do know though is I plan on voting tomorrow and I know I'll be extra cautious to see if anything I notice is amiss (or hopefully not) when I vote.

No, I survived 8 years of Bush Jr, I'll live through Rommey/Ryan, though my money is on Obama.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 08:26:17 pm by Nicki »

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2012, 09:49:51 pm »

Dad says it was a touch screen miscalibration ( I swear if I hear a joke about it cause of my username I might smack the person who makes it) and they fixed it but... yeah.

Check and double check your ballot before clicking "OK" everyone.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2012, 10:28:49 pm »

Dad says it was a touch screen miscalibration ( I swear if I hear a joke about it cause of my username I might smack the person who makes it) and they fixed it but... yeah.

This is why they needed Garrus to do the calibrations.
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2012, 10:40:45 pm »

This is why they needed Garrus to do the calibrations.
It was nice knowing you, ma'am.

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2012, 10:48:38 pm »
I ♥ Australia. America is deciding the fate of the free world today/tomorrow and our front page news is the 100 million dollar lotto and the Melbourne Cup.
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."