Author Topic: Canada closes its embassy in Iran  (Read 4623 times)

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
Canada closes its embassy in Iran
« on: September 07, 2012, 08:31:04 pm »
From CBC News:

Canada has suspended diplomatic relations with Iran and is expelling Iranian diplomats from Canada, Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird announced in a statement today.

Speaking to reporters in Russia, where he's attending the Asia-Pacific Economic Co-Operation summit, Baird said the government is formally listing Iran today as a state sponsor of terrorism under the Justice for Victims of Terrorism Act. That will theoretically allow Canadians affected by terrorism supported by the Iranian regime to sue.

"Iran is among the world's worst violators of human rights. It shelters and materially supports terrorist groups," Baird said, adding: "Unequivocally, we have no information about a military strike on Iran."

In the statement, Baird said Canada has closed its embassy in Iran, effective immediately, and declared personae non gratae all remaining Iranian diplomats in Canada. Those diplomats must leave within five days. All Canadian diplomats have already left Iran.

"Canada’s position on the regime in Iran is well known. Canada views the government of Iran as the most significant threat to global peace and security in the world today," he said in the statement.

The statement cited Iran's support for Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's regime, its failure to comply with UN resolutions on its nuclear program and its threats against Israel.

Holy shit...now the Canadians are turning their backs on Iran?  I can understand their dissatisfaction with Iran's support of Assad, but this seems like a rather extreme step to take.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Saturn500

Re: Canada closes its embassy in Iran
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 08:54:33 pm »
If you ask me, this isn't enough. We need to get everybody of value out of Iran along with their possessions, and then convert the country into a huge battle arena where any Iranians still there will be forced to duke it out in giant robots for our amusement.

What could possibly go wrong?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 11:09:55 pm »
If they actively harbor and give succor to known terrorist organizations, I don't blame Canada, nor anyone who'd follow suit, for effectively telling Iran to fuck off.

If you want to be petty, theocratic, terrorist-harboring shits, then you can do it without any form of support from anyone else.  May your god help you if you manage the incredible stupidity to actually attack...well, pretty much any Western nation.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline TigerHunter

• Bishop
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 11:10:22 pm »
This is the exact opposite of what should be done. Cutting off ties with Iran only drives them deeper into the arms of the terrorists we're trying to hurt. This is why I hate it when we impose sanctions on a country-economic entanglement is the best way to prevent conflict.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 11:11:22 pm »
This is the exact opposite of what should be done. Cutting off ties with Iran only drives them deeper into the arms of the terrorists we're trying to hurt. This is why I hate it when we impose sanctions on a country-economic entanglement is the best way to prevent conflict.

Only sometimes.  Contrary to popular belief, some people simply can not be bought.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 12:10:52 am »

Only sometimes.  Contrary to popular belief, some people simply can not be bought.
It's not about being bought. If our economies are intertwined extensively enough it is in both of our best interests to ensure the others continued success and well-being since hurting them hurts us. Additionally, the interaction of businesses and people at a personal level makes it harder to demonize the group as a whole as they are no longer a nameless, faceless entity. As an added bonus, it is these businessmen that tend to wield a decent amount of political power and influence.

Offline TigerHunter

• Bishop
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 01:44:48 am »

It's not about being bought. If our economies are intertwined extensively enough it is in both of our best interests to ensure the others continued success and well-being since hurting them hurts us. Additionally, the interaction of businesses and people at a personal level makes it harder to demonize the group as a whole as they are no longer a nameless, faceless entity. As an added bonus, it is these businessmen that tend to wield a decent amount of political power and influence.
I think what he's saying is that some people are so crazy they'll act against their economic self-interest just to hurt us. I would argue that the people of Iran (not necessarily the government) do not fall into that category, though.

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 02:09:33 am »
I think what he's saying is that some people are so crazy they'll act against their economic self-interest just to hurt us. I would argue that the people of Iran (not necessarily the government) do not fall into that category, though.

Eh, free trade may (theoretically) prevent wars, but it won't prevent backdoor shenanigans like funding terrorism or making threats against third-parties.

This will serve to further isolate Iran in the international community, but that might not have the effect intended.

As for the people of Iran and their relationship to their government, I think you are quite correct.  I doubt that most Iranian civilians have any real interest in going to war with anyone.  It is Ahmedinejad and the various forces within the Iranian government which promote anti-Americanism.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 02:15:36 am »

Aye, that and I was mostly talking about the Iranian government, anyway.  I'm sure, like everywhere else, Iran's got quite a few perfectly reasonable, respectable people.  Just...not in their government, that I've seen, which is a shame.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 02:22:16 am »

Aye, that and I was mostly talking about the Iranian government, anyway.  I'm sure, like everywhere else, Iran's got quite a few perfectly reasonable, respectable people.  Just...not in their government, that I've seen, which is a shame.

Compared to the Muslim fundies, the reasonable folks are most definitely a small minority.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 02:24:54 am »

Compared to the Muslim fundies, the reasonable folks are most definitely a small minority.

True, but I'd like to think I'm a bit kinder than Yahweh.  Get the decent folks out...then, beat the remaining assholes with sticks.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 02:28:23 am »
True, but I'd like to think I'm a bit kinder than Yahweh.  Get the decent folks out...then, beat the remaining assholes with sticks.
Good luck with that.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 04:36:13 am »
Good luck with that.

Can't fault a man for tryin, lol.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 05:07:16 am »
I don't know what's going on behind closed doors there, but it sounds like it's their way of saying, "When you're willing to act like adults, we'll talk.  Otherwise, we're done here."

Sounds like a btter message than our version of, 'Spreading Democracy.'
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Art Vandelay

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 06:21:44 am »
Sounds like a btter message than our version of, 'Spreading Democracy.'
The US has been doing exactly this since '95.