Author Topic: Anonymous hacks into FBI/Scotland Yard Phone call  (Read 2470 times)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
Anonymous hacks into FBI/Scotland Yard Phone call
« on: February 03, 2012, 02:21:12 pm »
The FBI confirmed hackers had intercepted a confidential phone call, and said it was hunting those responsible.

An FBI spokesman said: “The information was intended for law enforcement officers only and was illegally obtained. A criminal investigation is under way to identify and hold accountable those responsible.”

The FBI email referred to an investigation on both sides of the Atlantic into a number of hacking groups.

It read: “A conference call is planned for next Tuesday (January 17, 2012) to discuss the on-going investigations related to Anonymous, Lulzsec, Antisec, and other associated splinter groups.”

The recording, which was posted on Youtube, refers to the on-going court case against Ryan Cleary, arrested last June for his alleged role in the group LulzSec, and reveals legally sensitive information.

It also refers to a 15-year-old listed as a member of CSLSec - meaning “can’t stop laughing security”- a copy-cat group of hackers with just three members.

In the conversation, British police officers named only as Matt and Stuart explain that the teenager was arrested before Christmas for an alleged incident involving his school and that he apparently claimed to have taken part in a hacking incident called “Operation Mayhem.”

“Basically he’s doing all this for attention, he’s a bit of an idiot,” one officer says. They add claim that he has written a confession through his school that runs to two sides of A4 and one officer says he writes about “how he got involved, whet he’s done, almost clearing the slate now he’s come to the notice of the police.”

“A smack from mum and dad is behind it all,” the officer adds, saying he is “just another juvenile, another wannabe character.”

One Anonymous member tweeted to the boy, criticising him for helping the police, saying: “Man you’re f*****g dumb. It’s a conversation discussing anonymous/lulzsec and your wanna-be ass. your UK agent calls you an idiot.”

source - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/9059580/Anonymous-hackers-intercept-conversation-between-FBI-and-Scotland-Yard-on-how-to-deal-with-hackers.html

I doubt the ones that really know what they are doing in the anonymous group are going to be caught.  But it looks like someone (maybe even a scapegoat?) does get caught because his e-peen got the better of him lol.

edit- fixed typo that was pointed out
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 05:00:46 pm by CaseAgainstFaith »
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Anonymous hacks into FBI/Scotland Yard Phone call
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 02:48:45 pm »
Wait, Lulzsec?  They're a thing?

They're Anonymous-wannabes.  Which is hilarious.

Also, I strangely don't have any strong opinion on this matter O_o
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 02:58:50 pm »
...It's "scapegoat."

I'm amazed at how many Anonymous Deniers there are. With the Truthers, UFOlogists, Reptillians, Ancient Aliens, Creationists, etc. okay...I kind of "get it," for lack of a better word. These are things that the layman might not have a good amount of information about, so it's...understandable for the more...inventive to start coming up with wild guesses.

But Anonymous? All you have to do is type that shit into Google.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 03:08:10 pm »
...It's "scapegoat."

Ah, that makes more sense.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 03:19:57 pm »
What does? All I'm saying is that the term is not "escape goat." I'm not saying there's any actual scapegoating involved.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 04:53:51 pm »
What does? All I'm saying is that the term is not "escape goat." I'm not saying there's any actual scapegoating involved.

Oh, I completely missed that in the original post DX

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 05:39:04 pm »
Anonymous and Lulzsec have barely anything to do with this. This is about dumbass 15-year-old script kiddies who have their IP address traced after tampering with a school website.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 01:32:24 am »
Anonymous and Lulzsec have barely anything to do with this. This is about dumbass 15-year-old script kiddies who have their IP address traced after tampering with a school website.

Ummm has Anynymous changed its rules because I thought the whole point was that whoever wants can do something and claim that Anonymous was behind it. I mean sure these kids weren't as good hackers as they thought they were and this might have been a smaller group but they can still call themselves Anonymous. (Well okay they shouldn't confess to being Anonymous since that kinda against the purpose of being Anonymous but you get the point. )
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 02:27:40 am »
That's probably why he said "barely anything." It's related to Anonymous in that the FBI has had problems with them, & copy-cat groups can make the claim because Anonymous is...well, anonymous, but it has nothing to do with "Anonymous proper," so to speak.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 03:17:47 am »
That's probably why he said "barely anything." It's related to Anonymous in that the FBI has had problems with them, & copy-cat groups can make the claim because Anonymous is...well, anonymous, but it has nothing to do with "Anonymous proper," so to speak.

I repeat: Isn't the whole point of Anonymous that anyone can do something in the name of Anonymous and all of those are equally "Proper Anonymous." Sure some are smarter and better hackers but since there is no actual leadership you can't claim that person A is not "Anonymous."
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 03:51:55 am »
^^ Pretty much that. Anon is a meme, not a group.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)