Author Topic: Random Relativity Question  (Read 1491 times)

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
Random Relativity Question
« on: May 21, 2014, 03:40:04 pm »
Layman alert!

Okay, so from what little I understand of the theory of relativity, time goes slower for you the closer you get to the speed of light. I've never been able to wrap my head around WHY this is, but there it is.

Has anyone ever bothered to calculate how much the various speeds the Earth is moving (rotation, revolution around the sun, revolution around the galactic center, the galaxy's motion through space) affect our local timeflow, as opposed to if we were sitting perfectly still the way some fundies think we are?
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Random Relativity Question
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 04:00:03 pm »
I don't know, but I'll look it up.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 04:12:10 pm »
Layman alert!

Okay, so from what little I understand of the theory of relativity, time goes slower for you the closer you get to the speed of light. I've never been able to wrap my head around WHY this is, but there it is.

Has anyone ever bothered to calculate how much the various speeds the Earth is moving (rotation, revolution around the sun, revolution around the galactic center, the galaxy's motion through space) affect our local timeflow, as opposed to if we were sitting perfectly still the way some fundies think we are?

But what's your point of reference for those velocities? One part of relativity is that there is no privileged frame of reference: if you're in a moving car, it's just as rational to assume that you are moving and what's outside is stationary as it is to assume that you are stationary and what's moving is what's outside.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 04:14:31 pm »

The evidence we have points to the speed of light being constant, no matter where you are or how fast you're moving; space and time must compensate in unintuitive ways to keep that velocity constant in another reference frame. I'm not sure why spacetime works that way, but there it is.

The local timeflow is easy; every reference frame experiences time at the same rate, but it's only when we look at other things moving at different speeds that we notice their "time" is different. You can apply the Lorentz factor to specific velocities to figure out the scaling factor for time dilation, length contraction, relativistic mass, etc. Unless the velocity is an appreciable fraction of c, the Lorentz factor will be almost certainly 1 for practical purposes.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 09:03:47 pm »
Layman alert!

Problem is, the observed effect is the same whether you say a) Earth is moving relative to X, or b) Earth is perfectly still and X is moving relative to it. The two situations are physically identical.

(I assume it gets more complicated when you factor in that the Earth is not in an inertial reference frame, but that requires more general relativity than I am familiar with)
Σא

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 01:17:50 pm »
Super-advanced physics makes my head hurt.