Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1653452 times)

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #2895 on: October 02, 2013, 07:50:54 pm »
Funny how Ann Frank and Huck Finn get banned for sending out messages, but HP Lovecraft almost always gets through, no matter how dark his stories and creatures are.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2896 on: October 02, 2013, 07:56:50 pm »
Funny how Ann Frank and Huck Finn get banned for sending out messages, but HP Lovecraft almost always gets through, no matter how dark his stories and creatures are.

Positive but controversial stories are baaaaad.  Mental mind-rape is goooood!
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #2897 on: October 02, 2013, 08:13:41 pm »
Worth noting that Anne Frank's dad excised those bits when he was initially preparing the diary for publication. They were later put back in.

I guess I can't blame a man for being uncomfortable about publishing his own daughter's sexual fantasies.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #2898 on: October 02, 2013, 09:18:30 pm »
Not to mention racist, have you read Lovecraft? (please note that I'm not calling for anyone to ban Lovecraft, his stories, if you can get around the horrible racism, are really good for the most part, I'm just sayin')

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #2899 on: October 02, 2013, 10:00:55 pm »
Anne Frank was, like many teenagers (not just female teens), someone who was exploring sexuality. The fact that people seem surprised that a 14-16 year old girl would write about her fantasies in her diary is really silly.

Back on topic, as it were:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 10:58:23 pm by Booker DeWitt »

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2900 on: October 03, 2013, 01:01:38 am »
The black guy just needs bootstraps  ;D

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #2901 on: October 03, 2013, 01:28:14 am »
Not to mention racist, have you read Lovecraft? (please note that I'm not calling for anyone to ban Lovecraft, his stories, if you can get around the horrible racism, are really good for the most part, I'm just sayin')

Lovecraft's racism flies under the radar because it's not widely known or obvious in his writings. There are a couple of his stories which deal with this anxieties over "miscegenation." (Shadow over Innsmouth, for instance, was written in the wake of his horrifying revelation that one of his ancestors was... gasp... Welsh.)

I actually don't see the issue with studying works of authors with horrible opinions in the classroom. I mean, Shakespeare's portrayal of women is far from positive, but all but the most extremely bigoted  (like The Taming of the Shrew and some interpretations of The Merchant of Venice) are popular reading in high school courses. As long as students are encouraged to examine the attitudes in those works critically, I don't see the problem with it. The issue is that a lot of English teachers don't really get students to think about the work critically.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Itachirumon

• The Buzzing Digital Uke
  • Pope
  • The Highly-Caffinated Borderline Insane Uke
« Reply #2902 on: October 03, 2013, 04:09:48 am »
She died when she was 16 but seeing as erotic fiction has been around forever (there are some creepy erotica in the Bible for perspective) I'm guessing she was probably 15

I rather 'like' Song of Solomon. It's actually fairly good literature coming from a book used to persecute billions. If the Bible were more like Song of Solomon, we might actually have gotten somewhere. But I digress....
"Sleep is for the weak
Caffeine is my sacrament
Are those spiders real?"

I do NOT have a dubious relationship to sleep. We had a perfectly ambicable seperation

Ask me about the knife in your back!

When I die, they should process my blood into an energy drink - it'll be called Vampiric, and one dose will cause diabetes... Also, you might see noises.

"No.. can't eat... I'm fucking my catboy"

Offline Kit Walker

• Pope
  • Grand Master Brain Wizard*
« Reply #2903 on: October 03, 2013, 09:01:00 am »

Well, most times Lovecraft doesn't end up on required reading lists.
"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

*Actual title from the Universal Life Church Monastery, the outfit that ordained me as a wedding officiant.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2904 on: October 03, 2013, 11:11:29 am »

Lovecraft's racism flies under the radar because it's not widely known or obvious in his writings. There are a couple of his stories which deal with this anxieties over "miscegenation." (Shadow over Innsmouth, for instance, was written in the wake of his horrifying revelation that one of his ancestors was... gasp... Welsh.)

I actually don't see the issue with studying works of authors with horrible opinions in the classroom. I mean, Shakespeare's portrayal of women is far from positive, but all but the most extremely bigoted  (like The Taming of the Shrew and some interpretations of The Merchant of Venice) are popular reading in high school courses. As long as students are encouraged to examine the attitudes in those works critically, I don't see the problem with it. The issue is that a lot of English teachers don't really get students to think about the work critically.
Odd Shakesphere's women were fairly strong for the era in some of his more obscure plays like the Tempest.  Merchant of Venice well I dodn't actually know if he would have gotten published if he didn't have Shylock stop being a jew

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #2905 on: October 03, 2013, 11:42:05 am »

Speaking as a canadian who has been watching the Obamacare "debate" I'm just baffled by how paranoid the US right is over their own fucking idea!

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #2906 on: October 04, 2013, 12:54:11 pm »

« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 01:01:58 pm by Booker DeWitt »

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #2907 on: October 04, 2013, 02:01:25 pm »
She died when she was 16 but seeing as erotic fiction has been around forever (there are some creepy erotica in the Bible for perspective) I'm guessing she was probably 15

I rather 'like' Song of Solomon. It's actually fairly good literature coming from a book used to persecute billions. If the Bible were more like Song of Solomon, we might actually have gotten somewhere. But I digress....

I've read the Song of Solomon. It's very beautiful erotic love poem.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #2908 on: October 05, 2013, 04:35:59 pm »
Spoilered for size:

(click to show/hide)
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #2909 on: October 05, 2013, 07:43:57 pm »
Smoking Dodongo needs to make that the wallpaper on his mom's computer. Wow.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 03:07:04 am by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.