Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1651032 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #3615 on: April 19, 2014, 07:04:12 pm »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #3616 on: April 19, 2014, 07:12:10 pm »

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #3617 on: April 19, 2014, 09:05:46 pm »

It's obviously silly to compare the dishonest, politically motivated and destructive opposition to Obama with the principled, rational and fair-minded opposition to Bush. The comparison with Clinton is reasonable - Carter, too.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #3618 on: April 19, 2014, 09:06:47 pm »

It's obviously silly to compare the dishonest, politically motivated and destructive opposition to Obama with the principled, rational and fair-minded opposition to Bush. The comparison with Clinton is reasonable - Carter, too.
Again with your stupid partisanship.  Time for a court-martial, lieutenant.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #3619 on: April 19, 2014, 09:10:34 pm »
Fred's an Aussie. He gets a pass.

All recent presidents have had bad caricatures made of them and their effigies burned and other extreme looking protest memes, but Obama's roasting undeniably has been very racist in tone way too many times. Because we got a lot of dumbasses and hicks in this country. And now they all have internet access.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #3620 on: April 19, 2014, 09:13:44 pm »

All recent presidents have had bad caricatures made of them and their effigies burned and other extreme looking protest memes, but Obama's roasting undeniably has been very racist in tone way too many times. Because we got a lot of dumbasses and hicks in this country. And now they all have internet access.
I agree, too much criticism of Obama has racist undertones.  I doubt birtherism would have gained as much support if he were white.  However, that doesn't mean we should automatically dismiss his critics as racists.

Also, why exactly does he get a pass for being Australian?  Care to fill me in?

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #3621 on: April 19, 2014, 09:22:29 pm »

I agree, too much criticism of Obama has racist undertones.  I doubt birtherism would have gained as much support if he were white.  However, that doesn't mean we should automatically dismiss his critics as racists.

To those of us in the states, Fred's pretty much just shy of being a 'goddamn Commie', politically (if I got this mixed up Fred, please correct me).  That being said, Fred, as much as he can antagonize a good chunk of us, because we frequently come to a head in arguments with him on this board, keeps our feet on the ground.  He does raise good points.  We're just un-used to views like his, because to many of us, they do seem extreme in some cases.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #3622 on: April 19, 2014, 09:27:45 pm »

To those of us in the states, Fred's pretty much just shy of being a 'goddamn Commie', politically (if I got this mixed up Fred, please correct me).  That being said, Fred, as much as he can antagonize a good chunk of us, because we frequently come to a head in arguments with him on this board, keeps our feet on the ground.  He does raise good points.  We're just un-used to views like his, because to many of us, they do seem extreme in some cases.
I figured he was on the far-left.  After all, he's a Chavez apologist.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #3623 on: April 19, 2014, 09:30:26 pm »
Fred gets a pass because he is an armchair quarterback American, or dilettante observer. His comments are from his perspective as an Australian of his own stripe of political philosophy. He does have a good grasp of our history and governmental structure because he's studied it at Uni for years.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #3624 on: April 19, 2014, 09:30:59 pm »
Fred gets a pass because he is an armchair quarterback American, or dilettante observer. His comments are from his perspective as an Australian of his own stripe of political philosophy. He does have a good grasp of our history and governmental structure because he's studied it at Uni for years.
Okay.  Glad to have a little context.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3625 on: April 19, 2014, 11:07:49 pm »
Yeah, it's XKCD. But it fits.

Alt text:

I can't remember where I heard this, but someone once said that defending a position by citing free speech is sort of the ultimate concession; you're saying that the most compelling thing you can say for your position is that it's not literally illegal to express.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #3626 on: April 20, 2014, 12:34:56 am »

Again with your stupid partisanship.  Time for a court-martial, lieutenant.

Obviously there was a certain degree of silliness regarding Bush, but largely this reflected honest disagreement with his policy - not dishonest personal hatred.

Basically, people hated Bush (from 2005-??) because they seriously and legitimately disagreed with his policy. That is exactly how politics is supposed to work. The Democrats, by and large, were even quite fair-minded about things - for instance, in the aftermath of 9/11, Democrats largely allowed Bush to go ahead with his chosen response, despite their deep and principled opposition to that approach. This was in part Bush's intimidation of opposition, but also Democrats recognised his "right to govern". Another example: Bush's totally illegitimate election was largely forgotten by Democrats - certainly, it was never made a significant political issue. Democrats hate Dick Cheney because he ordered people tortured. That's legitimate.

With Obama, the formula has been entirely reversed. The prior is "I hate Barack Obama". That is thought one, all other political views flow from that. Therefore, Obamacare is communism, despite Republicans universally supporting it a mere six years ago. In fact, this is true of all policy; Republicans do not hate Obama because they disagree with his policy, they pretend to disagree with his policy in order to justify their hatred of Barack Obama. Hence, negotiation with Obama is treason, compromise is treason, ect. It's entirely legitimate to sabotage the American economy for votes, because the biggest threat to the US economy is Obama's communist policy, which somehow caused the crisis in the first place.

And this is institutional and routine. This is as true of, say, Rick Santorum or of Rand Paul as it is of Joe who-is-not-a-plumber. The Tea party was established entirely on this principle: since Obama is a communist, anything he likes is communism. QED. (an aside; this is going to be a big problem for the party when they next win office. I wonder what they will do? Will they really try to repeal everything Obama has done - even the stuff that they the US system of government relies on, like executive orders- and purge all Obama appointees? Or will they just memory hole all the details, as they have the Carter administration, and just remember the slogan "Obama bad, four legs good"? My money's on the second. I fully expect Paulcare to be identical to Obamacare, minus the Medicaid increases).

This is deeply illegitimate and totally dishonest. A political system cannot run on that view. This is why the opposition to Obama is destructive- not because it goes too far (as with Clinton) or because it uses strong language (Bush) but because it's irrational.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #3627 on: April 20, 2014, 08:22:31 am »
Yeah, it's XKCD. But it fits.

Alt text:

I can't remember where I heard this, but someone once said that defending a position by citing free speech is sort of the ultimate concession; you're saying that the most compelling thing you can say for your position is that it's not literally illegal to express.
More people need to understand this.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #3628 on: April 20, 2014, 09:59:32 am »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3629 on: April 20, 2014, 10:01:57 am »

Tis funny, because I believe Vlad the Impaler is viewed as something of a folk hero in his home country.  Like, legitimate folk hero, not telling the media to make you into one because your cock's so infinitesimally small it may as well be a singularity.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.