Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1505988 times)

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #2340 on: April 27, 2013, 10:31:51 pm »
So I've been playing Poker Night 2 and have noticed that Sam is cheating bastard and Brock seems to go full retard every other round and go all in on the second turn of the tournament.

My observations are that the players in 2 share the same play habits as the people who sat in those positions in the first game. Brock is a wildcard who will throw everything he has at a hand that contains nothing, just like Max used to do. Claptrap is reckless, but usually has at least something if he bets big, even if it doesn't seem good enough to justify his betting, which is the same way Strong Bad played. Ash has no real distinguishing playstyle, and instead is a stable player who does take risks, but rarely huge ones, like The Heavy. And then Sam plays very conservatively, folding far more hands than he ever plays, and only bets big on really good hands or when it's down to 2-3 players to try and force the game to a close, just like Tycho did.
Thanks although I notice Ash tends to raise a lot.  I still say he cheats

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2341 on: April 28, 2013, 01:11:09 am »
Turns out I suck at red dead redemption. Badly. Not entirely sure why I bought it, wondering if it's trade in value is significant.

Trade-in is probably $5. Maybe. Depending who you trade it in to. Amazon's is $2.40 for the regular edition. $8.40 for the GOTY. No idea about Gamestop and whatnot.

I'm betting even less. You'd have more luck selling the game privately if you want a decent return.

I still recommend you just practice and try to play through it. It really is a rewarding game (though one that will take quite a lot of time to beat even if you play nothing but it for days).

How can you bet any less when it's easy to double-check where I got my numbers?

Either way, a lot of games take a bit to actually like. I've been hopping between games lately. Mostly stuck on the Mass Effect trilogy still but I'm about to dive into the Bioshock games again.

I also have a bunch of games I haven't played yet in my backlog. Now if only I felt like playing...

I was guessing less for the brick and mortar stores like Gamestop.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #2342 on: April 28, 2013, 07:05:10 pm »
I already covered that with the 'depends on who you trade it in to' but okay.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Moltar

• Bishop
« Reply #2343 on: April 28, 2013, 10:10:01 pm »
If anyone has Metroid Prime trilogy and wants to trade friend vouchers let me know.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #2344 on: April 28, 2013, 11:30:04 pm »
On Earthbound finally coming to virtual console:

So? It's been a free rom for years now.

"HOLY CRAPS!! I GETS TO PAY FOR IT AGAINZ!!!!!"

FINALLY we can now pay to play a game everyone has been emulating for years!

I don't really see the big benefit to getting the game on the Wii. Most people gave up after a year and just said "Fuck it" and played on zsnes or something.

I already have Earthbound on my Iphone, laptop and Nexus 7. No thanks Wii U.

I softmodded my Wii to be able to load NES, SNES, Atari 2600, Sega Genesis, GBA and GBC roms about 2 years ago, so this doesn't matter to me.

why not just download a emulator?

It's been playable on PC for like 15 years. If you had any interest on this game you can play it right now. This is just a cash-in from Nintendo.

Hooray, an easily emulatable game that can be played for free on various devices is coming out on a very specific device for money!

How about things that aren't readily emulatable, or haven't been seen in ages.

Still not gonna buy a Wii U. I've got it running great on my 7-inch tablet through the SNES9X emulator. It's like the Wii U gamepad, but lighter!

Ok, so I hope I don't get downvoted into oblivion for this, and I swear this isn't trolling, but it seems people are going crazy over the release of this on the Virtual Console. I haven't really been following how long this has been anticipated for, and I was wondering if someone could tell me: why is this release such a big deal?

What's so special about this game being released on the virtual console when it's been freely available as a rom download for years? Are the majority of Earthbound gamers just against emulation? Do a lot of people not own PCs? Can someone explain this to me?

I hate pirates. I hate pirates. I hate pirates.

Also, this quote probably somes up the whole thing:

I love how so many people "oh i can already emulate it" "oh i downloaded the rom" well gee if you actually enjoyed the game, why not, I don't know buy it to show there is still a strong liking of the mother series, maybe get the third localized?

Not saying buy a new console just for it, but a lot of you guys sound like douche bags.

Saturn500

« Reply #2345 on: April 28, 2013, 11:35:06 pm »
I love how so many people "oh i can already emulate it" "oh i downloaded the rom" well gee if you actually enjoyed the game, why not, I don't know buy it to show there is still a strong liking of the mother series, maybe get the third localized?

Not saying buy a new console just for it, but a lot of you guys sound like douche bags.

The third game has a fan translation... which has actually been offered to Nintendo for free.

Still, this guy gets a gold star!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 07:09:44 pm by Saturn500 »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2346 on: April 29, 2013, 12:31:36 am »
syaoranvee:
Thank you.

You see I found this one rage gif and have been waiting for a proper moment to use it. I didn't just want to put it in the funny pictures thread and I had already expressed my rage at so many earlier posts, so I had been just... Waiting for something that would justify my anger.

And now you found one of my pet peeves. Digital pirates with lame excuses. I understand abandonware, I get that when there is no legal ways to get something piracy isn't that bad. Now that another classic game has been re-released though, why not just buy the game if you already have the gaming platform and like the game?

Seriously, how much does that one game cost? Don't try to tell me that you can't spare the small change for the game if you claim that you love it. And stop complaining about content creators/owners demanding payment in exhange for said content. If you don't want to pay for it then either don't get it at all or at least admit that you are breaking the law for the sake of your own enjoyment. You are no Robin Hood and the company isn't some evil king taking money from the peasants by force.

And stop complaining about how you can't possibly afford all these games/movies/whatever and still be able to pay for rent and food. Some people prioritize. I can't afford a six month trip around the world but I'm not saying "fuck you airlines I'm gonna be a stowaway!" I can't afford all the cool toys (which admittedly at the moment would be medieval armour and weapons. Maybe a flintlock or two as well.) but this just means that I prioritize. Supporting my family comes first and the cool toys and hobbies are something I get if/when I can afford it. I'm not raging on the webs that the armories want money for their products.

And now the gif:
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2347 on: April 29, 2013, 02:21:26 am »
Well, got back into playing Ultima Online after...I dunno, 18 month hiatus?  Maybe more?  As one may expect, I've gone and made a crafting character, whom I've affectionately named Old Man Jenkins.

Yes, he's supposed to look like a deranged, homeless man wearing a skull mask and wielding an axe.  (Also, yes, that IS a dress.)
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #2348 on: April 29, 2013, 05:20:28 am »
The fuck, Ultima Online is still around.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #2349 on: April 29, 2013, 07:51:29 am »

While I understand and agree with this comment, the point a lot of the other commenters were making is that they pirated it because there was no other way to get it. (I could be wrong about no other way, but that's the impression I got.) Now they have the game and fail to see the point in buying it when they have been playing it for years.

To use a different analogy... Say you found a few out-of-print books at a library give-away that you really like. You read these particular books at least once a year, sometimes more, for several years. Now the publisher is re-releasing the books and expects everyone who found the book while it was out-of-print to go back and pay for it now.

You didn't take money away from the author/developer or publisher because there was no way to give money to the author/developer or publisher while the game was "out-of-print." You had no way of knowing the book/game would ever be available for purchase again, so there is no reason to wait around until you can buy it legally. (You would, in theory, be waiting forever.)
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Saturn500

« Reply #2350 on: April 29, 2013, 09:35:27 am »
The point in buying it now is so you can play it legally.

I mean, that's a really bad analogy, since a library give-away isn't, you know, illegal.

Distind

« Reply #2351 on: April 29, 2013, 10:11:28 am »
You're dealing with people who think anything not properly secured is perfectly fine to walk away with.

Legal doesn't come into the equation.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2352 on: April 29, 2013, 11:23:33 am »
The justification behind abandonware and "not available in my country" is, "I would buy it if I could but since I can't I have the RIGHT to pirate it."

Now that such a game is available they are proven as hypocrites.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2353 on: April 29, 2013, 11:30:01 am »

While I understand and agree with this comment, the point a lot of the other commenters were making is that they pirated it because there was no other way to get it. (I could be wrong about no other way, but that's the impression I got.) Now they have the game and fail to see the point in buying it when they have been playing it for years.

To use a different analogy... Say you found a few out-of-print books at a library give-away that you really like. You read these particular books at least once a year, sometimes more, for several years. Now the publisher is re-releasing the books and expects everyone who found the book while it was out-of-print to go back and pay for it now.

You didn't take money away from the author/developer or publisher because there was no way to give money to the author/developer or publisher while the game was "out-of-print." You had no way of knowing the book/game would ever be available for purchase again, so there is no reason to wait around until you can buy it legally. (You would, in theory, be waiting forever.)
I can understand pirating a game when there's no legal way to buy it (barring buying second hand, where no money goes to the publisher). However, if you do pirate on those grounds, and said game becomes available after you've played it, then you should still buy yourself a copy as belated compensation for using their product (unless of course you'd have to do something as ridiculous as buy a Wii U just to purchase said game).

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #2354 on: April 29, 2013, 01:05:59 pm »
Adding to that train of thought, however, anyone who pirates it after the re-release, hardware purchase needed or not, has no ground to stand on. The game is available via legal means. Bypassing those means to use the product anyway is straight piracy with no moral gray areas to hide in.