Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1506534 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #4620 on: July 03, 2014, 07:23:46 pm »
Played Doom 64 a little today. forgot how creepy the soundtrack was

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4621 on: July 03, 2014, 08:43:36 pm »
Liberated all the outposts in Farcry 3.  My god how dumb are these guys?  I mean dogs running around are ok I guess.  But caging wild animals up in bamboo cages that are shot open with one bullet?  A lot of my clears were just letting a tiger or a bear or a cassowary have it's damn way with the place.

Ironbite-so much fun.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4622 on: July 03, 2014, 10:29:10 pm »
Played Doom 64 a little today. forgot how creepy the soundtrack was

Ah Doom 64.  An underrated gem because everyone thought it was just another port of Doom.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4623 on: July 04, 2014, 02:02:49 am »
This is pretty funny. Apparently some SJWs had been attacking the makers of The Mandate (Kickstarter game which is still under development) and here is a response from the developers:

Before we continue, we need to take a little detour. Right at the start of our Kickstarter campaign, we were being both accused of under-representing women in The Mandate, and also being asked whether or not the game would feature playable female characters at all. This took us by surprise as our story elements focused on Empress Anastasia Romanova who even had her own Twitter account. In The Mandate she happens to essentially rule most of known space.

Just as some of the strongest leaders historically have been women, and there is a certain romanticism ascribed to service under them, we wanted to build these elements into the story as well as the relation between Anastasia and the player’s (space captain) character.

For example one of our backers wrote “Seriously, that many players want to be Han Solo? (Well, all the male ones, anyways...though I guess of course there could be a greater diversity of characterization too...)”. Another wrote “Hi ! I just signed up to kickstarter specifically to support you guys[…] My only gripe with the project is it's exclusively western focus, with no "asian" or "african" related factions, makes the whole setting harder to believe, at least for me”.

We all noticed the comments, and looking at each-other confused we said “Why wouldn't there be female characters at all levels, including playable ones? Some guys prefer to roll female characters -just like Kenny (McCormick) and vice versa. Why shouldn’t you be able to pick your own ethnicity?”.

In The Mandate you are the captain and we want your avatar to reflect your backstory and the choices you made during character creation. It follows that you should be able to play as any ethnicity, gender and body build. At the same time every video game has a set budget, and every element you add has an associated cost. For example we don’t have the resources to maintain a large set of different rigs, animation sets etc. How then can we give players the freedom of self expression without escalating costs?

Our Technical Director, Vegard Myklebust, wrote an article about our character system which was published over at Polygon....

The article:
http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/3/5863785/ubisoft-female-characters-assassins-creed-the-mandate

(click to show/hide)

So basically, after seeing some of the preview images of an unfinished game they made the assumption that there is only one body build, one skin colour (and presumably only one face as well) since the preview images did not have much variation yet. Also, they completely missed the fact that most powerful in universe character that has been revealed so far is a woman...

I love how the developers went all "why on Earth wouldn't you be able to make a female characters or choose other ethnicities?!"

The article from Polygon is also really interesting.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #4624 on: July 04, 2014, 06:33:01 am »
EA appears to have started charging nearly 4 quid for demos now.  Words fail me.

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/07/04/looks-like-ea-charging-demos-now

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4625 on: July 04, 2014, 07:36:16 am »
I'm surprised it took them this long.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4626 on: July 04, 2014, 09:58:55 am »
They're really trying that?  Wow.

Ironbite-that wasn't a technical error though...they just didn't expect that type of outrage.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4627 on: July 04, 2014, 10:51:57 am »
Yeah, they say it's a technical error but I doubt people are gonna believe that even if it IS true. people have such a low opinion of EA that everybody is gonna think they're just trying to save face after this blew up on them.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #4628 on: July 04, 2014, 11:02:11 am »
I'm not sure I believe them to be honest.  If the price had been like £40 or something I would (it wouldn't be the first time there's been a pricing related cock-up on XBL, I remember one time something accidentally got priced at several million dollars).  But £4 seems too much like the sort of price that would be charged if a demo wasn't free.  I can't help but feel like it might have been some kind of test just to see what would happen.

I could of course be wrong but I just find some aspects of it a bit suspicious.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 11:04:16 am by Katsuro »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4629 on: July 04, 2014, 01:53:26 pm »
Paying for a demo?  That's like charging for shareware! :/
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #4630 on: July 04, 2014, 03:07:56 pm »
I COMPLETED A ROGUE LIKE!!!!

Well a "Mystery Dungeon" game, but they are released to rogue likes. Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God on PS Vita. Funny game too, main story is a blast. Ive unlocked a 256 floor bonus dungeon now... eep.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #4631 on: July 04, 2014, 04:42:40 pm »
This is pretty funny. Apparently some SJWs had been attacking the makers of The Mandate (Kickstarter game which is still under development) and here is a response from the developers:

Before we continue, we need to take a little detour. Right at the start of our Kickstarter campaign, we were being both accused of under-representing women in The Mandate, and also being asked whether or not the game would feature playable female characters at all. This took us by surprise as our story elements focused on Empress Anastasia Romanova who even had her own Twitter account. In The Mandate she happens to essentially rule most of known space.

Just as some of the strongest leaders historically have been women, and there is a certain romanticism ascribed to service under them, we wanted to build these elements into the story as well as the relation between Anastasia and the player’s (space captain) character.

For example one of our backers wrote “Seriously, that many players want to be Han Solo? (Well, all the male ones, anyways...though I guess of course there could be a greater diversity of characterization too...)”. Another wrote “Hi ! I just signed up to kickstarter specifically to support you guys[…] My only gripe with the project is it's exclusively western focus, with no "asian" or "african" related factions, makes the whole setting harder to believe, at least for me”.

We all noticed the comments, and looking at each-other confused we said “Why wouldn't there be female characters at all levels, including playable ones? Some guys prefer to roll female characters -just like Kenny (McCormick) and vice versa. Why shouldn’t you be able to pick your own ethnicity?”.

In The Mandate you are the captain and we want your avatar to reflect your backstory and the choices you made during character creation. It follows that you should be able to play as any ethnicity, gender and body build. At the same time every video game has a set budget, and every element you add has an associated cost. For example we don’t have the resources to maintain a large set of different rigs, animation sets etc. How then can we give players the freedom of self expression without escalating costs?

Our Technical Director, Vegard Myklebust, wrote an article about our character system which was published over at Polygon....

The article:
http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/3/5863785/ubisoft-female-characters-assassins-creed-the-mandate

(click to show/hide)

So basically, after seeing some of the preview images of an unfinished game they made the assumption that there is only one body build, one skin colour (and presumably only one face as well) since the preview images did not have much variation yet. Also, they completely missed the fact that most powerful in universe character that has been revealed so far is a woman...

I love how the developers went all "why on Earth wouldn't you be able to make a female characters or choose other ethnicities?!"

The article from Polygon is also really interesting.

Some of the characters there look kinda weird. I think it's the eyes. Fourth and sixth ones particularly. Probably a good thing they put the disclaimer at the bottom.

Also, games that have character customization will still usually use a certain character model in all the promotional material. Saint's Row did this, and the character model they used varied with each game.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #4632 on: July 04, 2014, 11:23:01 pm »
Space Engineers is a amazing voxel game, with interesting mechanics. I bought it and am happily working on a little capital ship. Of course, I am considering making myself a little drop pod that allows me to easily dock with larger ships.

@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4633 on: July 04, 2014, 11:48:28 pm »
My one experience with that game was watching a video where everyone tried to do all of the realistic options, including how much you could carry.

...That was not pleasant.  But otherwise the concept seems great.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #4634 on: July 05, 2014, 12:05:10 am »
I have Space Engineers but haven't played it recently. Last time I played was right after the update that added the abandoned ships that pass through. I'm hoping they eventually make he game able to have multiple sectors like StarMade or have an near infinite world like minecraft. As it is, with the limit of only a handful of asteroids but a massive open area it feels weird. The problem of course would be the load on the graphics processing, and the game is still badly optimized because of it's early state. My laptop can't handle it even at the lowest settings and my desktop can usually make the mid range settings work ok.

If you haven't heard about it, there's a custom made "lunar surface" map that someone made by manually using a map making software to basically make a large, flat asteroid.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDrV6pY6wGE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDrV6pY6wGE</a>

That guys channel has tons of SE videos, with him doing one for every weekly update as well as making video of his cool builds such as working tanks and devastating gravity torpedoes.

His newest tank.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY35b-2FnKI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY35b-2FnKI</a>

Gravity torpedo.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ9ZNRvOesQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ9ZNRvOesQ</a>

My one experience with that game was watching a video where everyone tried to do all of the realistic options, including how much you could carry.

...That was not pleasant.  But otherwise the concept seems great.

Yeah, as long as you turn the options on carrying capacity and such up it becomes fun. There's a reason minecraft doesn't have realism, you couldn't even carry one block (one cubic meter of stone is heavy).
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov