Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1507293 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #5910 on: July 10, 2015, 06:10:25 am »
Really getting into Sleeping Dogs right now, even in spite of my shitty frame rate. I tell you, there are few things more frustrating than trying to complete a high speed motorbike race through a narrow alleyway full of debris and plenty of doorways to get stuck in at 10 frames per second. Other than that, it's playable enough to be fun.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 06:14:21 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5911 on: July 10, 2015, 08:09:12 am »
Soooo, LIVE has an epic sale going on, and I managed to pick up Dragon Age 1 & 2, Injustice: Gods Among Us, and Game of Thrones all for around $20.  Without Gold.  Awwwww yeah.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5912 on: July 11, 2015, 11:35:28 am »
The media is latching on to a "study" claiming that young boys and girls are fed up with the portrayal of women in video games.  But it has serious issues:

http://www.everyjoe.com/2015/07/10/news/survey-young-gamers-feelings-portrayal-female-characters-flawed/#1

Makes me wonder what other bullshit the media is preaching as the gospel truth.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #5913 on: July 11, 2015, 04:40:19 pm »
Makes me wonder what other bullshit the media is preaching as the gospel truth.

You should probably assume every study in the media is either bullshit or doesn't say what they think it says.

I think this is a case of the latter. This was not a study, it was an online survey. You can extract tentative conclusions worth exploring from that but not much else.

Also, can't seem to get the author's point about kids having opinions on games aimed at older people? It's a fact of life that kids will play M-rated games and have opinions on them, there's not much point in having the survey pretend that doesn't happen.
Σא

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5914 on: July 11, 2015, 05:14:00 pm »
For some reason I have trouble reading the survey as the pages refuse to load... But so far it and the articles about it have been interesting. And I am not surprised that even the horny young teenagers feel that making every female character a sex object is not appealing.

The articles mainly just pretend surprise over the fact that teenage boys aren't only interested at ogling Lara Croft in skimpy clothes.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #5915 on: July 12, 2015, 10:42:31 pm »
Not sure if he's well known enough to have his own thread, so I'll put it here:

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata dies at 55

I am sad.

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #5916 on: July 13, 2015, 05:24:25 pm »
Very sad news indeed. Not what i expected to wake up to this morning.

I 100% Steins;Gate yesterday. Epic? Epic! The true ending is hard to get too (unless you are really lucky when it comes to certain emails, you will need a guide....) but it was worth it. Hands down, so far anyway, its my number 1 game of the year (I know, some people don't consider visual novels games. And yes it came out in Japan 6 years ago, but eh, it came out this year in the EU on PS3, so it counts!). Its still playing on my mind, the effects of it.
(click to show/hide)

I really hope the true sequel (Steins;Gate Zero) which is out later this year in Japan gets a western release quicker than this did.

El Psy Kongroo.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #5917 on: July 13, 2015, 07:02:44 pm »
I really, really love the current load-out I'm using in New Vegas. Single Shotgun and NCR Not-M16. The Shotty's great for killing at close to mid ranges, and the Service Rifle does great at mid to long.

Perfect.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 07:04:40 pm by Second Coming of Madman »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #5918 on: July 14, 2015, 12:04:32 am »
Yeah, it gets outclassed in the later game, but the service rifle is a reliable machine for quite some time. I kept using mine until I got to Vegas.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5919 on: July 14, 2015, 12:53:25 am »
My favourite loadout would have to be the CZ57 Avenger and a fully upgraded anti-material rifle, particularly if I'm well stocked on .50 MG explosive rounds. I can turn pretty much anything that so much as looks at me funny into a cloud of red mist, be it right up close or as far away as the draw distance will allow.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5920 on: July 14, 2015, 04:30:06 pm »
Hunting rifle.  It's all I need.

Ironbite-maybe a shotgun for close quarters.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5921 on: July 14, 2015, 05:07:11 pm »
Explosives and my fists of fury.  If I can't blow it up, I may as well beat it to death.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5922 on: July 14, 2015, 06:47:11 pm »
Pistols is all I used throughout New Vegas that was fun.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #5923 on: July 14, 2015, 09:19:09 pm »
Fucking Legionfags sent a assassin team after Ben "The Vandals ain't got shit on me" Garrison. So, how do I counter a team of incredibly motivated and well-armed individuals all hellbent on killing me at level 6 or so?

I killed Vulpes whatever the fuck his name is and friends for shits and giggles, so that might be why they're pissed.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 09:22:30 pm by Second Coming of Madman »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #5924 on: July 16, 2015, 03:39:25 pm »
Bulletstorm.  If you like shooters like Call of Duty and Battlefield, you probably won't like Bulletstorm.  It's more of an arcade-like shooter, where you go from point A to B killing people.  What makes it appealing though is you score points the more brutally and creatively you kill someone.  So you could shoot someone with the sniper rifle.  OR, you could shoot him in the skull with an explosive bullet that also sends his buddies hurtling into the water, electrical wiring, and even sharp metal grating . . . while drunk! 

Personally, I'm enjoying it.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"