Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1508450 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #5955 on: August 05, 2015, 09:20:24 am »
I'm pissed off right now.  Journey of the Light supposedly has seven or eight chapters, but in reality, it only has one unending, unwinnable level.

https://imgur.com/a/yceJt

This isn't even a Early Access game.  It's a full release, and the developer is also involved in complaints about Steam Refunds, repeating the mantra others have said, that it "hurts indie devs".  But I have to admit he's half-right.  It hurts dishonest indie devs like him.  However, it actually helps ethical devs because people are more willing to take chances on their games.

If you're a developer, be ethical or get the fuck out.  Don't sell or try to sell your game on lies.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #5956 on: August 05, 2015, 02:07:56 pm »
Even if the "it hurts indie devs" argument was actually true, that doesn't matter. It's whats best for the consumer, and they'll just have to fucking deal with it.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5957 on: August 05, 2015, 03:19:42 pm »
Even if the "it hurts indie devs" argument was actually true, that doesn't matter. It's whats best for the consumer, and they'll just have to fucking deal with it.
Good point. ANY possibility of refunds and such "hurts" manufacturers. The fact that I can't start selling small rocks as medicine hurts my ability to make money but it protects the consumers and even if this example was exaggeration the point still stands. The laws and regulations often take the side of the consumer (how often and much depends on the country) and those laws and regulations really are there for the safety of the consumers. Any company that can't survive because they can't sell shit deserves to fail.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #5958 on: August 15, 2015, 09:29:10 pm »
I just realized the Mark Twain reference within the Mysterious Stranger's name. That's...dark.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5959 on: August 15, 2015, 10:17:57 pm »
Fallout Shelter has dropped.

Ironbite-pretty cool little micromanagement game.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5960 on: August 15, 2015, 10:20:26 pm »
What, the mobile game? That thing's been out for months.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #5961 on: August 15, 2015, 10:43:07 pm »
Not for Android it hasn't.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #5962 on: August 15, 2015, 10:50:38 pm »
My roommates and I have a communal Xbone now, and so I've been alternating between GTAV, Assassin's Creed: Black Flag, and Witcher lll. A few observations;

The Witcher is great, a wonderfully well made world, great story nice gameplay, but FUCK does it go out of it's way to kick you in the balls for daring to try and be a nice guy.

I've lost track of how many (ingame) days I've spent in black flag ignoring the story to just sail around the Caribbean, plundering ships and looting treasure.

If Trevor is the best pilot of the GTAV crew, why do his planes all try to do a spiraling nose dive when I just want to turn slightly?

And finally... the shanties... I can't get them out of my head... I can't... "Oh, my name was captain Kidd, as I sailed, as I sailed".
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #5963 on: August 16, 2015, 12:35:04 am »
Help me boys, there's a bully in the alley,
Hey, ho, a bully in the alley...
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5964 on: August 16, 2015, 03:18:16 am »
And away boys, away
A-weigh, you Rio!
It's fare-you-well my bonny young girls
And we're bound for the Rio Grande.
Help me boys, there's a bully in the alley,
Hey, ho, a bully in the alley...
By the way, it's "I'm bully in the alley". It's old timey slang for drunk, I believe.

Unless of course, your pirate crew really is singing about a guy in an alley who steals their lunch money and gives them wedgies, in which case, you may want to review your hiring practices a little.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 03:53:49 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #5965 on: August 18, 2015, 09:49:49 pm »
What, if anything, does Hanlon mean by the Veteran Rangers "chasing ghosts down in Baja" and all?
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5966 on: August 19, 2015, 02:54:26 am »
What, if anything, does Hanlon mean by the Veteran Rangers "chasing ghosts down in Baja" and all?

I think it was partially a hint that there is more going on in the world than just the war at the damn. Also a reminder that NCR was fighting a war on two fronts. Their forces were spread between Baja and Nevada and both flanks were being hurt by the lack of troops.

Actually, I'm not sure if they explained what the operation in Baja was but maybe that was left vague on purpose in case a later game or expansion would be set there.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #5967 on: August 19, 2015, 06:45:04 am »
My roommates and I have a communal Xbone now, and so I've been alternating between GTAV, Assassin's Creed: Black Flag, and Witcher lll. A few observations;

I've lost track of how many (ingame) days I've spent in black flag ignoring the story to just sail around the Caribbean, plundering ships and looting treasure.

And finally... the shanties... I can't get them out of my head... I can't... "Oh, my name was captain Kidd, as I sailed, as I sailed".

Yeah I tend to make my sailors sing, "Spanish Ladies," over and over again, along with the one Long John Silver sang in Muppet Treasure Island (can't remember the name).
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #5968 on: August 19, 2015, 05:47:06 pm »

I think it was partially a hint that there is more going on in the world than just the war at the damn. Also a reminder that NCR was fighting a war on two fronts. Their forces were spread between Baja and Nevada and both flanks were being hurt by the lack of troops.

Actually, I'm not sure if they explained what the operation in Baja was but maybe that was left vague on purpose in case a later game or expansion would be set there.

Ghosts down in Baja?  Perhaps they're talking about the Ghost People.

Ironbite-maybe Big MT had another Sierra Mardre out there.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5969 on: August 19, 2015, 07:38:42 pm »
Its a sad day in Eberron when a set of +5 Thief's Tools costs 30 grand...
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.