Author Topic: Dr. Evil would be proud  (Read 1386 times)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
Dr. Evil would be proud
« on: May 03, 2012, 09:29:53 am »
Tipple’s team attached a 50mW green laser to the dorsal fin of a lemon shark via a temporary clipping mechanism.
“This was definitely a world first,” Tipple stated in an interview with Wired. “Initially, I told them no. I thought it was a frivolous stunt. But then I considered that it would give us an opportunity to test our clips and attachments, and whatever is attached to that clip, I really don’t care. It was a low-powered laser that couldn’t be dangerous to anyone, and there’s actually useful applications in having a laser attached to the animal.”

Finally, he said the experiment was helpful in measuring a shark’s velocity and trajectory in real time. “We were able to see how their body positioning relates to a target,” he said. “You can get a very clear description, via the laser, of what the shark’s body is doing.”
http://www.oceansandaquaculture.org/shark-with-laser-on-head-released-into-the-ocean/

You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads! - Dr Evil

Though seriously the idea is a interesting one to study sharks.
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
Re: Dr. Evil would be proud
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 01:23:11 pm »
That is interesting.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Normandy

• Pope
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 12:39:30 am »
Sharks with fucking lasers... things like this are why science it awesome.  8)

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 12:49:35 am »
You mean... I actually have sharks with fricken laser beams attached to their fricken heads?

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 09:21:20 am »
Unlike previous coincidental "science follows pop culture" stories, I'm sure this one was done specifically because of Austin Powers.