Author Topic: Nuclear Test Un, Two, Three  (Read 8523 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Nuclear Test Un, Two, Three
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2013, 02:07:20 am »
I think it might be official...North Korea is the craziest fucking country on the planet.  Especially if its getting called out by fuckmothering IRAN.  That's like a schizophrenic telling someone to stop talking to the invisible voices in their heads.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2013, 03:52:11 am »
chitoryu: I wouldn't, because radiation spreads, and South Korea and the surrounding area will be hit as collateral damage. And radiation takes roughly forever to clear up once it's unleashed.

Radiation is better than a direct hit. They've got nukes, and may be crazy enough to use them. Better they grenade themselves in some insane ploy and a portion of South Korea gets irradiated than having them actually target South Korea.

Also, we have no idea how big they can go, but they're barely at half the level of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in terms of destruction. Both of those cities were thriving within less than 60 years. Even if they were to directly target South Korea or Japan, they'd be back on their feet and probably in relatively normal condition within a few decades.

If they shot at THEMSELVES as suggested? There's even less for South Korea to deal with.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2013, 09:32:17 am »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the refugee problem yet.

Quite simply put, refugees from NK is one of China's biggest fears, and coddling a banana republic has always been preferable to having a warzone at their border. This, of course, hinges on NK not being a nuisance and inviting a war, which unfortunately they've not kept their end of the bargain.

Most of NK's most likely targets and neighbours, like Japan, South Korea and Taiwan, have a military pact with the US, meaning if they're attacked in any way, the US is obliged to assist. On the other hand China does not have a similar pact with NK as far as we know. Also China is more willing than not to avoid direct military confrontation with the US. So if North Korea decides it wants to go to war, it'll have the largest military in the world blasting it into oblivion. Meanwhile, China will be troops lined up at its border in Manchuria waiting to "discourage" refugees from crossing into China. Even if it doesn't do that, it definitely won't allow foreign troops in Chinese soil or offer any assistance to any party, NK included.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2013, 11:00:45 am »
Regardless of any nuclear missile launch scenario, which may be a planned red herring, NK has had long range plans in place and executable to send their infantry en masse into the South. Their stated national goal is "liberating" the South. Well, they are starving and need to steal it for food and money, anyway. The typical boastful/bullshit claim is that they would be able to over-run the SK military and capture Seoul within a few hours. And that includes running troops through tunnels? Derp.

2 million troops is a phalanx to be reckoned with in theory, considering the depths of reserves they have. But many fatal flaws include the lack of backup materiel - not enough food, not enough fuel. If anything slows this proposed blitzkrieg on it's way to Seoul, the army would quickly be in disarray.

South Korea has a superbly trained and equipped military with the latest tech, so the usual scenario would probably unfold, much like the decimation of Iraq's military in the Gulf War, even though that was reverse positions on defense/invasion. Add to that, ally forces counterattacking from the sides with ship launched missiles and bombing runs across the rear of NK's army in the field, and we would witness the slaughter of unspeakable numbers of NK soldiers.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2013, 11:22:28 am »
Regardless of any nuclear missile launch scenario, which may be a planned red herring, NK has had long range plans in place and executable to send their infantry en masse into the South. Their stated national goal is "liberating" the South. Well, they are starving and need to steal it for food and money, anyway. The typical boastful/bullshit claim is that they would be able to over-run the SK military and capture Seoul within a few hours. And that includes running troops through tunnels? Derp.

2 million troops is a phalanx to be reckoned with in theory, considering the depths of reserves they have. But many fatal flaws include the lack of backup materiel - not enough food, not enough fuel. If anything slows this proposed blitzkrieg on it's way to Seoul, the army would quickly be in disarray.

South Korea has a superbly trained and equipped military with the latest tech, so the usual scenario would probably unfold, much like the decimation of Iraq's military in the Gulf War, even though that was reverse positions on defense/invasion. Add to that, ally forces counterattacking from the sides with ship launched missiles and bombing runs across the rear of NK's army in the field, and we would witness the slaughter of unspeakable numbers of NK soldiers.
If North Korea wanted to fuck with Seoul, they wouldn't do it via an invasion. On the Northern side of the boarder, there are jungle covered mountains that are stuffed full of artillery that's pointed at Seoul. Thanks to the cover of said jungle, they could turn Seoul into a pile of rubble before anyone could even find, much less destroy this artillery.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2013, 11:54:59 am »
Actually, even if only using 1990's tech from the Gulf War, ally's can and almost assuredly do know the location of both entrenched and mobile artillery. Given today's satellite imagery and mini recon drone tech, bunker busting, computer guided bombs and missiles, and assuming reasonably expectable improvements that are not yet public knowledge, I think NK's long-stated invasion plan and artillery attacks would be stopped before major damage to Seoul.
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2013, 11:56:01 am »
That's assuming the stuff still works.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2013, 12:39:41 pm »
You mean the '90's guided bomb/missile tech? Those were laser guided by the weapon launch operators. The tech is still used, but now there are warheads with self guidance systems imbedded within the warhead itself, and slightly older and cheaper systems that are remote computer guided.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2013, 05:24:13 pm »
I think Ironbite was referring to the jungle embedded artillery.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2013, 07:21:43 pm »
Logistics is the biggest issue for North Korea. As much as they spend on their military and as many troops as they have, it's almost like a nation-sized human wave attack. I can't imagine the average recruit having more than an AK or SKS with one or two magazines worth of ammo and a simple uniform. Compare that to a modern soldier's combat load, which is about 270 rounds for the rifle alone, grenades, and various specialty equipment like disposable anti-tank rocket launchers and grenade launchers.

Not to mention the gigantic famine they're still unable to fix, and the fact that aid will cease immediately if they actually make an attack. Fuel and food will run low very quickly, all while contending with modern technology that can wipe out massive formations and individual vehicles with great precision.

On the subject of artillery, I'm willing to bet that the South Koreans have already pinpointed their locations and are keeping an eye on them. As soon as the guns flash, they're gone.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2013, 10:14:21 am »
South Korea says, "Go ahead, Make Our Day"

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/50806575

Yup, they got them thar high tech thingies called self guided cruise missiles, that fly just above the ground below radar detection height, and can give Jung Un a bitch slap straight into oblivion.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2013, 05:51:55 pm »
South Korea unveiled a cruise missile on Thursday that it said can hit the office of North Korea's leaders, trying to address concerns that it is technologically behind its unpredictable rival which this week conducted its third nuclear test.

I didn't know there were ANY concerns regarding South Korea being behind North Korea in terms of technology. I think the only ones who believe that are the peasants and soldiers up north who have fallen for the propaganda, who aren't going to see this news item anyways.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2013, 06:18:27 pm »
Plus the US Eighth Army, of course.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2013, 07:18:51 pm »
Well, South Korea has a slight handicap in that it actually spends resources taking care of its people.

That said, yeah, I don't think South Korea's going to have any technological issues if the conflict does come to a head.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2013, 08:05:27 pm »
Simply put, if North Korea steps too far outta line, they're fucked harder than a triple-cunted whore on the streets of Bangkok in the middle of springtime.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.