Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1550509 times)

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #2730 on: February 22, 2014, 01:54:10 am »
- misgenders Brienne of Tarth, who is genderfluid

Says you!

I haven't seen the third season or read the books yet, so I haven't had the chance to become overly familiar with Brienne. Is there anything to support her being genderfluid, or are they just basing this on the fact that she prefers roles/clothing/etc. that are typically defined as masculine? If it's the latter, they're a massive hypocrite.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 01:56:16 am by The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist »
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2731 on: February 22, 2014, 01:55:53 am »

Says you!

I haven't seen the third season or read the books yet, so I haven't had the chance to become overly familiar with Brienne. Is there anything to support her being genderfluid, or are they just basing this on the fact that she's not stereotypically girly? If it's the latter, they're massive hypocrites.

I'm finding no evidence that she's anything more than a very masculine woman.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #2732 on: February 22, 2014, 02:01:04 am »
Today my academic advisor told me I “can’t expect anyone to listen to me if I didn’t do the reading”

THE READING.

OH NO I NEED TO READ THE WHITE MAN’S WORDS OR ELSE NOTHING I SAY MEANS ANYTHING! I SHOULD KNOW BETTER THAN TO THINK MY THOUGHTS ARE VALID BECAUSE A WOCS THOUGHTS DONT MEAN SHIT WHEN A WHITE MAN “WROTE A BOOK”

Fucking college.

I don’t know why academic has this reputation of being so concerned with justice. Academia is NOT concerned with justice or activism. They silence WOC like myself pretty much every day just because we have opinions that don’t “relate” to the text.

Fuck the text. I don’t need to read the text to get an A. And fuck it, I don’t even care about grades. I don’t even want a degree anymore. I just want to be heard.

You can be heard, but that doesn't mean you'll be taken seriously. If you want people to take your "activism" seriously then the first step would be reading the given material and properly critiquing it without invoking factors the author has no control over, such as their race and gender.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2733 on: February 22, 2014, 02:03:25 am »
It takes a special kind of pants-on-head retarded to accuse an author of misgendering a character that he created in the first place.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #2734 on: February 22, 2014, 02:04:10 am »
I'm starting to feel sorry for her, she's probably getting dozens of "Hope you get raped, you stupid cunt" threats now.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #2735 on: February 22, 2014, 02:07:24 am »
I'm starting to feel sorry for her, she's probably getting dozens of "Hope you get raped, you stupid cunt" threats now.

Don't even get me started on the kind of people who do that kind of shit.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #2736 on: February 22, 2014, 02:09:51 am »

Says you!

I haven't seen the third season or read the books yet, so I haven't had the chance to become overly familiar with Brienne. Is there anything to support her being genderfluid, or are they just basing this on the fact that she prefers roles/clothing/etc. that are typically defined as masculine? If it's the latter, they're a massive hypocrite.

The latter. In many ways the views we are dealing with are anti-feminist.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:13:47 am by Lt. Fred »
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #2737 on: February 22, 2014, 02:11:20 am »

Don't even get me started on the kind of people who do that kind of shit.
The guy arguing with her is some kind of anti-feminist as well so he's not exactly a great guy or anything.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #2738 on: February 22, 2014, 04:27:55 am »

1. Ursula is fat and vain because her image was based off of a drag queen who was fat and vain. Her character was unloved because she was evil and greedy not because she was overweight. And the sequel introduced us to Morgana her skinny sister:

So if they made Ursula fat because being fat is bad why did they make her sister so thin?

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
  • I'm right, because I accept that I can be wrong.
« Reply #2739 on: February 22, 2014, 05:59:42 am »

1. Ursula is fat and vain because her image was based off of a drag queen who was fat and vain. Her character was unloved because she was evil and greedy not because she was overweight. And the sequel introduced us to Morgana her skinny sister:

So if they made Ursula fat because being fat is bad why did they make her sister so thin?
Also, to the "fat and bad are synonymous for Disney women", I offer my rebutal : Maleficent and the Queen from Snow White.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2740 on: February 22, 2014, 09:11:42 am »
So quick to whine about how one fat chick in a Disney movie is an antagonist, yet they never complain about Disney's disturbing tendency to portray queens as a cadre of completely untrustworthy assholes; that if women gain any real authority and power, they become evil.  Then again, they may have reversed this trend, I dunno, I'm...not a huge fan of Disney, to be honest.  Even when I was a kid, I was largely unimpressed by them.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #2741 on: February 22, 2014, 09:20:09 am »
So quick to whine about how one fat chick in a Disney movie is an antagonist, yet they never complain about Disney's disturbing tendency to portray queens as a cadre of completely untrustworthy assholes; that if women gain any real authority and power, they become evil.  Then again, they may have reversed this trend, I dunno, I'm...not a huge fan of Disney, to be honest.  Even when I was a kid, I was largely unimpressed by them.

I think there's a tiny bit of reversal, thanks to Frozen.  Elsa becomes queen, and the only real threat at the time is that she can't control her abilities.  She's not malevolent herself.  She's most definitely loved and appreciated by the end of the film.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2742 on: February 22, 2014, 09:21:42 am »
Aah, that's good.  The whole "women can have a little power, but not too much!" thing kinda bugged the crap outta me.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #2743 on: February 22, 2014, 09:32:13 am »
Aah, that's good.  The whole "women can have a little power, but not too much!" thing kinda bugged the crap outta me.

If you haven't seen Frozen yet, Ravy, I highly recommend it.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #2744 on: February 22, 2014, 11:36:51 am »

Because Disney never portrays males as letting power corrupt them.  Nope.  Never happens.  Or if it does it's okay because they're guys, amirite?
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.