Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1549439 times)

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #3705 on: May 27, 2014, 04:57:46 pm »
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #3706 on: May 27, 2014, 05:20:04 pm »
A Song of Ice and Fire is fucking misogynistic! I mean, look at how the women are treated!
Look, there's a big difference between the setting being misogynistic and the story being misogynistic.

In fact, I think it's rather more sexist to pretend that rape doesn't characterise war.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #3707 on: May 27, 2014, 06:25:51 pm »
A Song of Ice and Fire is fucking misogynistic! I mean, look at how the women are treated!
Look, there's a big difference between the setting being misogynistic and the story being misogynistic.
I have heard some legitimate criticisms on how the story depicts statutory rape, I haven't read the book so I can't make an informed opinion.

This comment is still stupid though.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #3708 on: May 27, 2014, 07:20:24 pm »
I have heard some legitimate criticisms on how the story depicts statutory rape, I haven't read the book so I can't make an informed opinion.

Eh, it's a bit iffy to apply modern notions about statutory rape to a story set in a medieval world.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #3709 on: May 27, 2014, 07:36:10 pm »

Fuck you, SJW. Fuck you up your damn ass with the biggest cactus I can find.

Men don't have to worry about body image as much as women. Bull fucking shit.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3710 on: May 27, 2014, 07:41:01 pm »

THANK YOU.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
  • I'm right, because I accept that I can be wrong.
« Reply #3711 on: May 27, 2014, 07:58:03 pm »

Eh, it's a bit iffy to apply modern notions about statutory rape to a story set in a medieval world.
Statutory rape is a weird concept even in our modern world, though. I mean, I realise why it exist (even thought the word "rape" is a shitty word to use in this context, since you know, consensual sex as rape is a big nope), but there's juste no magical barrier at 18 years old that'd justify such a concept.

And with that, I'm done : if anyone wants to talk about that subject more, it'd be better to open another topic.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #3712 on: May 27, 2014, 08:13:38 pm »

Well men don't need to worry about there body as much as women do. Yeah there's some things guys have to deal with relating to body image, but it's not nearly the same standards as women.

And yes, I do think Tumblrite is an ass.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 08:19:40 pm by I am lizard »

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #3713 on: May 27, 2014, 08:28:27 pm »

Statutory rape is a weird concept even in our modern world, though. I mean, I realise why it exist (even thought the word "rape" is a shitty word to use in this context, since you know, consensual sex as rape is a big nope), but there's juste no magical barrier at 18 years old that'd justify such a concept.

And with that, I'm done : if anyone wants to talk about that subject more, it'd be better to open another topic.
Consensual sex can be rape if the victim isn't in the proper state of mind to make the decision, see having sex with someone intoxicated.
(And yes, 18 years is pretty arbitrary and really not based on any scientific data.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #3714 on: May 27, 2014, 08:29:40 pm »
The whole point isn't that it is rape because they are intoxicated but because if you are TOO intoxicated you cannot consent.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #3715 on: May 27, 2014, 08:43:36 pm »
The whole point isn't that it is rape because they are intoxicated but because if you are TOO intoxicated you cannot consent.
I know that, and if you're to you-
y'know what, let's just say having sex with someone who's too young is wrong and should probably make you wind up on some kind of watch-list or whatnot.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #3716 on: May 27, 2014, 08:51:26 pm »
Yeah I agree that it's not ok to have sex with someone too young, the problem is that it is arbitrary. I like the idea of flexible ages of consent, for instance where if the partner is within 2 years of age then its kosher so  15 year old can have sex with a 17 year old but a 27 year old can't.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #3717 on: May 27, 2014, 08:58:36 pm »
Okay, now a new thread would be in order.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #3718 on: May 27, 2014, 09:59:48 pm »

Well men don't need to worry about there body as much as women do. Yeah there's some things guys have to deal with relating to body image, but it's not nearly the same standards as women.

I'd have to disagree. Both men and women are held up to ridiculous body standards just in different ways.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #3719 on: May 27, 2014, 10:13:28 pm »

I'd have to disagree. Both men and women are held up to ridiculous body standards just in different ways.
Oh sure, but they're not nearly equal.
Guys get vastly less shit for looking ugly than girls do.
I mean sure, guys will feel insecure about the fact they don't have the 15-inch-dongs we've led them to believe they do but that still doesn't make it equal.

I'm mainly uptight about this cuz it's a favorite line of douche-bags who like hijacking conversations about female rights.
("Hey, isn't it screwed up that they're now showing billboards of naked 5-year-old girls?"
"Hey, but what about the menz!!!1! We feel bad sometimes to!")
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 10:24:00 pm by I am lizard »