Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1550963 times)

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #4635 on: October 03, 2014, 11:48:55 pm »
Translation: Segregation is okay as long as you do it my way!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4636 on: October 04, 2014, 08:52:52 am »
Translation: Segregation is okay as long as you do it my way!

To quote a song by Uncle Ruckus: "Wadn't nothin wrong with slav'ry, least we got good food back then"

(I'd do a "to the tragically humour-impaired thing," but I really can't be arsed.)
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4637 on: October 06, 2014, 06:54:04 pm »

I'm not sure if this is real, but if it is...

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #4638 on: October 06, 2014, 07:07:49 pm »
It's a troll, the whites can't be raped thing was started by 4chan in order to "destroy feminism" or something.

If it said men can't be raped then I would believe it was legit.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #4639 on: October 06, 2014, 09:47:20 pm »
I don't know what to think about atheists against retsuprae.  On one hand, yeah, it's typical social justice crap that spams tumblr.  On the other hand, fuck Retsuprea.  I've seen the harm them and their asshole fans have done to LPers: a lot of them who are just normal teenagers who want to have fun in their spare time.  But there's also a lot of stupid crap on that site such as

SIGH…It’s impossible to be racist against whites, because they hold the institutional power. It’s possible to hold some racial prejudice against whites, but that’s NOT the same as racism and does not deserve the same consideration. Fighting racism isn’t going to make white people’s lives easier, whites are the ones that benefit from it.

Literally every university teaches this now, there’s no excuse for your ignorance.

Also, far down they criticize the Retsuprea guys for telling people to google the actress Kat Dennings.  Apparently, that's encouraging cyber stalking.   ::)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4640 on: October 14, 2014, 06:58:44 am »
I was going to write about the "Grape juice controversy" but then I saw this: http://gomakemeasandwich.wordpress.com/2014/09/11/thoughts-on-lightning-returns-and-cultural-appropriation-spoilers/

The writer is complaining about some game I had not heard before. A Quick Ask.com search revealed that it was the latest(?) Final fantasy game. ...I am kinda disappointed that I haven't played any FF games after X and can't even keep up with them now.

Anyway, apparently the story of the game has been influenced by religions a lot. The characters and background take some names from Christian and Norse mythology and there is a religious organisation that seems to be slightly based on the Catholic church (At least the architecture is similar form what I see in the article.) What does this have to do with cultural appropriation? Well, taking anything from another culture is obviously appropriation and since Christianity and Norse aren't asian religions (at least according to SJW logic) this is wrong-bad.

Though the writer also complains how the game takes really little from these religions into the game. Everytime Thor does something that the mythological Thor did not it is seen as an attack against Norse faith. When there is something in the game that did not happen in the Bible this is seen as an attempt to distort the Bible. ...Really.

And then there is the final debate on wether or not this counts as cultural appropriation:

What exactly does and does not count as cultural appropriation is always tricky to pin down. Myself, I would say that although Lightning Returns is a bizarre and misinterpretation of Catholic Christianity, I would not call it cultural appropriation, simply because of the context of the two cultures in question. While Japan did not suffer as many ill effects of Western colonial oppression as other Asian countries, it still left an indelible mark on Japanese society. And in general, it is certainly true that Christianity was often a tool of colonial oppression.

And yes Japan does have a history of colonialism itself, and yes it does have a problem with racism against non-Yamato-Japanese. But Japan has never colonized the West, nor has it attempted to forcibly convert Western people or otherwise destroy Western religion. And bizarrely-worded t-shirts aside, it certainly doesn’t have a history of selling misrepresentations of Western religion and culture for profit in such a way that would comprise a threat to the integrity of said religion and culture.

So while Lightning Returns is a deeply weird take on Christianity that some might find offensive (I don’t, but I could understand people who do), I don’t think it’s fair to call it cultural appropriation.

...So, if western developer had done something like this using Hinduism and Aztec mythology that would have been wrong, but since the Japanese haven't opressed the west (note that the writer acknowledges the bad things the Japanese have done but says that these do not count since the victims were mostly other asians) the Japanese cannot be quilty of stealing western culture...

And what the hell does it matter if someones ancestor did something bad to another persons ancestor? Why does that matter when discussing things that happen now?

...AARGH!
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4641 on: October 14, 2014, 07:49:33 am »
To be fair, Final Fantasy has been co-opting names of religious icons for some time now.  Hell, you can even summon Odin in some of 'em.  Not that Odin is at all recognizable as our Odin, but the name's still there.  They've been at this a while, and its no more appropriation than when a Western developer uses parts of something like Shinto or Buddhism.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #4642 on: October 14, 2014, 10:31:46 am »
PZ has really shitty reading comprehension today.

General Harris instructs liberals to surrender on the home front

The "contentious" quote in question:

Quote from: Sam Harris
Liberals have really failed on the topic of theocracy. They’ll criticize white theocracy, they’ll criticize Christians. They’ll still get agitated over the abortion clinic bombing that happened in 1984. But when you want to talk about the treatment of women and homosexuals and free thinkers and public intellectuals in the Muslim world, I would argue that liberals have failed us.

PZ's funhouse interpretation:

Quote from: PZ Myers
Hell yes, I’m still agitated over any abortion clinic bombing. Shouldn’t we all be? I’m also agitated over female genital mutilation and shooting girls who want an education in Pakistan. I can be frustrated by all the onslaughts against modernity everywhere; I don’t treat it as a failure of liberalism that American women are fighting for their rights at home as a priority

Sam was criticizing attention given to the abortion bombing, really? Every time I read that quote it sounds like one of his examples of issues liberals should be agitated about and he was making his point in the last sentence, but no, obviously PZ cut through all the subtext and unveiled his monstrous misogyny, 'cuz, y'know, social justice. I'm not the only one that thought he had it wrong, either; a few rational comments here and there are being eviscerated by PZ's sycophants because PZ's intent is magic.

It almost makes me wish I weren't banned for saying "butthurt" so I could get banned today for calling them a bunch of semi-literate morons.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4643 on: October 14, 2014, 03:40:06 pm »
Last time I read PZ's blog he was pretty much on point with his criticisms, when did he get this goofy?

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #4644 on: October 14, 2014, 04:40:18 pm »
Last time I read PZ's blog he was pretty much on point with his criticisms, when did he get this goofy?

The groupthink from the pack of wolves commenting on his blog must have finally gotten to him.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 04:42:55 pm by Ironchew »
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #4645 on: October 14, 2014, 08:07:56 pm »
Askold and Ravy:  Let's NOT get into Final Fantasy Tactics, where the bad guys are an explicitly corrupt church taken over by demons...

Never mind Phunbaba being a boss in FF6, Ashura being a summon in FF4, Alexander's a common one himself in multiple games, Hades in FF7, Diablo in 8...

... I can do this all fuckin' day, because I'm a fanboy that still owns their original FF1 cartridge for the NES and it's my prize jewel of my game collection.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4646 on: October 14, 2014, 08:53:50 pm »
Not exactly social justice but...

bpdabed:
ppl w dandruff are beautiful and cool reblog if u agree
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4647 on: October 14, 2014, 09:05:03 pm »
Fuck societal beauty standards. End crabs shaming now!

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #4648 on: October 14, 2014, 10:43:54 pm »

Well wtf are you then, an Irken invader?

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4649 on: October 14, 2014, 11:49:54 pm »

PZ has this thing where he declares someone an enemy and from that point on he can only possibly interpret anything they say in the worst possible way. He doesn't like Harris because of some stupid comments he made re: Muslims and women, ergo, anything Harris says is Islamophobic/misogynistic.
Σא