Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1551542 times)

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #7890 on: December 14, 2015, 12:48:37 am »
call me stupid, but... if you own slaves in the first place, why would you hang them? wouldn't that result in a clear loss of profit?

also, *shudders* militant vegans... gross.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7891 on: December 14, 2015, 08:35:35 am »
Just for once, I'd like to meet a vegan that doesn't jump up your ass for eating meat.  You know, like how there are sensible vegetarians.  Then again, I guess vegans are fighting a losing battle against nutrient deficiency, so that's likely why they've got such massive sticks up their asses.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #7892 on: December 14, 2015, 10:30:28 am »
Just for once, I'd like to meet a vegan that doesn't jump up your ass for eating meat.  You know, like how there are sensible vegetarians.  Then again, I guess vegans are fighting a losing battle against nutrient deficiency, so that's likely why they've got such massive sticks up their asses.

...do you check every person you meet for their meat-eating habits? It seems fairly likely that if you met a vegan that doesn't "jump up your ass for eating meat" they might not mention being vegan. Selection biases and so forth.
Σא

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #7893 on: December 14, 2015, 03:56:37 pm »

You can't use that gender that's our gender!

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #7894 on: December 14, 2015, 04:15:26 pm »
what is aporogender anyway and how can what you think you are be appropriative of someone else.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7895 on: December 14, 2015, 04:47:56 pm »

...do you check every person you meet for their meat-eating habits? It seems fairly likely that if you met a vegan that doesn't "jump up your ass for eating meat" they might not mention being vegan. Selection biases and so forth.

Its pretty obvious the first few times you eat with a person (even if its in a cafeteria or something) where they lean on that particular scale.  The ones you see eating lettuce sandwiches with vegannaise and crap are usually the ones that exude an aura of pomposity so thick, you could cut it with a knife.  Got that look of scornful disdain whenever they see anyone eat anything that's got meat and/or cheese (real cheese, not that imitation garbage) and all that jazz.  There's the possibility that I've seen vegans that aren't assholes and I just missed them...my brain tends to filter out most people.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #7896 on: December 14, 2015, 05:25:34 pm »

Its pretty obvious the first few times you eat with a person (even if its in a cafeteria or something) where they lean on that particular scale.  The ones you see eating lettuce sandwiches with vegannaise and crap are usually the ones that exude an aura of pomposity so thick, you could cut it with a knife.  Got that look of scornful disdain whenever they see anyone eat anything that's got meat and/or cheese (real cheese, not that imitation garbage) and all that jazz.  There's the possibility that I've seen vegans that aren't assholes and I just missed them...my brain tends to filter out most people.

You've been counting the hits and ignoring the misses. I bet you rub shoulders with quite a lot of vegans who live and let live.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Even Then

« Reply #7897 on: December 14, 2015, 05:34:15 pm »
To exist is to predate, unless you're living off a purely synthetic diet (which I think would either be impossible or severely detrimental). That apple you're eating? Another animal could've eaten it. Those crops? The farmland was cut into the homes of other animals. You want to eat vegan? Fine. But do not pretend you're above the cycle. Do not pretend you're above the rest of us because you never see the exploited animals in your ledger.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7898 on: December 14, 2015, 05:38:46 pm »

You've been counting the hits and ignoring the misses. I bet you rub shoulders with quite a lot of vegans who live and let live.

Tis entirely possible.  Not to sound like a dick, but I ignore most people because I know that the average person has next to no direct effect on my life, so there's no point in wasting energy thinking about them.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #7899 on: December 14, 2015, 06:06:06 pm »
i have no problem with any diet, so long as you're not a dick about it.

vegetarians? no biggie. pescatarians? well, i don't like fish, so they can have my share of the stuff. pure carnivores? ok, fine, but don't ask me to follow, i love vegetables too much for that.

vegans? well, they're a bitch to cook for, but if they're not militant about it (ie: "meat is murder" types), go ahead. your body, your rules.

my real only gripe is people who won't try a food because it grosses them out (or they find the animal "cute"). because of that, i didn't try rabbit until my early 20's, because my sister found them too fluffy and cute. and man oh man was i ever missing out. baste the sucker in mustard seeds and and some garlic, you've got an easy feast!

oh, and for the best french fries ever, throw unpeeled spuds in duck fat. totally worth the cancer and cholesterol. only way i got a squeamish american friend to try them out was to hide that detail from him.

i may be a picky eater, but i will try everything at least once, so long as it's not shellfish (allergies). gator tasted foul, but i'm still waiting for the opportunity to try snake and turtle.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7900 on: December 14, 2015, 06:11:14 pm »
Shark's pretty good, if a bit tough and gamy.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #7901 on: December 14, 2015, 06:31:17 pm »
what is aporogender anyway and how can what you think you are be appropriative of someone else.

It's appropriative because it doesn't make them feel special enough.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #7902 on: December 14, 2015, 07:17:56 pm »
The cultural appropriation people seem to love segregation almost as much as the racists.

Even Then

« Reply #7903 on: December 14, 2015, 07:35:24 pm »
Okay, no. There's a world of difference between "if you're going to use something part of another culture, do your research, listen to the people of that culture and make sure you're not actually blaspheming on something that's sacred and integral to them" and "all cultures need to literally be segregated all of the time".

And the picture itself is not something I'll comment on.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #7904 on: December 14, 2015, 07:46:19 pm »

Aporagender is one of the about twelve billion different-but-essentially-equivalent ways of saying nonbinary. I assume the appropriation argument is that there's some weird context in who came up with the word and why and if you choose to use that word (and not one of the twelve billion alternatives) you are taking sides on some battlefront of the culture war.
Σא