Author Topic: Doctor Who General  (Read 58443 times)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Re: Doctor Who General
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2013, 05:38:16 pm »

Ever since I wrote it up, I've been waffling linking people to a fic I made starring the Doctor (10) and the Master.

Be kind?

If you aren't intimately aware of the childhoods and early adulthoods of either Time Lord most of this will seem like I made it all up when it comes to their names for each other and various parts of their time in knowing each other.

Well, it certainly isn't awful!  ;)

I'm not sure what that means. It can mean anything...

As for scary episodes mine are Blink and Midnight. But emotionally trying goes to Turn Left and of course Journey's End.

As for companions right now mine go in order of Donna, Martha, Sarah Jane Smith (got her own spin-off that one), and Ace tied with Wilf for top 4. Being almost all women is totally inconsequential considering the Doctor's choices of companions.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2013, 07:56:02 pm »
Meant it as more of a positive and less of a negative :P I'll be honest though, it's not exactly the kind of fanfic I would normally read, but it was written bretty good.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2013, 08:01:52 pm »
Heh. I normally don't write brotp. Usually it's very much romantic otp. I mainly wrote it to torture a friend of mine. lmfao

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2013, 10:57:10 am »
Hmm... I found Midnight and Blink to be creepier (actually most of the Weeping Angels eps), but I guess your scary mileage will vary, of course.

For me, it's the body horror.  Watching the scars appear on people and their faces turn into gas masks is insanely creepy.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2013, 12:09:08 pm »
Understandable.  Mine is anticipating things you can't see, but know they're coming.   Also... things that you have to see to keep them away from you.

It's hard to describe. 

Offline Patches

• Bishop
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2013, 07:00:24 pm »
I find "Midnight" to be the scariest episode since it's the one that most closely matches my greatest personal fear of being permanently mentally damaged or altered in such a way that I'm aware that I used to know certain things, but can't mentally function at that level anymore.  Like a perpetual brain fart. 

Most of the time mind takeovers in the media are played like in "Nightmare in Silver" where you have two personalities battling with each other for control, but stuff like "Midnight" is infinitely creepier where the takeover is a gradual process where you're not even aware of your "self" being replaced until it's pretty much already gone, and by that point there isn't enough "self" left to even know what to do.  "The God Complex" also played on the idea of gradually manipulating a person's mental state, but didn't do it quite as effectively.

I wrote a Ten/Donna-era short story a year or so ago called Mind Heist that dealt with that same "losing one's mind" theme, based on the prompt of "What kind of monster would scare the Doctor the most?"

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2013, 07:03:54 pm »
It's time to get hype, 50th anniversary poster revealed!

(click to show/hide)

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2013, 09:54:22 pm »
Those Daleks are some of the worst CGI ever.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2013, 10:48:57 pm »
They're not the best, but I still like the poster muchly.  Good to see both Ten and Eleven on it.  ... And whatever number John Hurt's Doctor is (If he even really is/will be/was the Doctor)

Offline Patches

• Bishop
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2013, 06:34:53 am »
I appreciate the "Bad Wolf" graffiti in the lower left corner, though.  :D

Although, I am hoping this is just regular S2 Ten and Rose rather than giving Pete's World Rose another ridiculous timey-wimey excuse to come back again.  Ten's hair looks a bit more like he wore it in S2 (it got progressively spikier as the seasons progressed), but I don't know how anal about continuity they're being, so I won't read too much into it.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2013, 02:42:24 pm »
I had an odd thought about John Hurt being 8 revisited but that's just silly.

With that said, 8 is the only Doctor I haven't seen because of whatever reason (money/availability).

I also rewatched all of 9 and 10 and stopped on 11. I have my hangups about 11 we've all read about so I won't repeat them. But I may give it the ol' college try especially without my ex babbling on about 11.

Most important woman in all of creation kinda beats Bad Wolf. If not in emotionally trying stuff but in just how cool it is. The parallel world didn't rewrite itself around Rose, now did it? :P

&

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2013, 05:33:53 pm »
Just saw Logopolis for the first time, what a fantastic way for the 4th doctor to go out. I loved the concept and it kept me interested from beginning to end. Also had one of the creepier scenes in the history of the show, where the TARDIS materializes around a police box so the Doctor can take measurements. but it turns out it's another TARDIS, when they go inside the lights are dark, and the Cloister Bell rings in the background. and there is another TARDIS inside that one. I hope 11th can get an exit as good as this.

Also, I'm waiting for a DVD boxset including the TV movie, so if anybody wants to watch the 8th doctor, I could livestream it on my justin.tv account for all y'all.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 05:42:25 pm by Dakota Bob »

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2013, 05:56:17 pm »
Logopolis is indeed a goody.  You know the "Watcher" is based on an ancient bit of folklore about some strange entity that follows you around portending your eventual death?

The best 'Swan song' of the classic series I think is Caves of Androzani (Davison really got to shine in that one).  Went out not saving the world, universe, or time... but one person.

EDIT: Oh, and I think it's awesome they kept the cloister bell and its sound for the 'new' series.  That sound just screams "Oh... Crap."
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 05:57:58 pm by SpaceProg »

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2013, 08:06:57 am »

And I looked upon the answer to Martha hate and thought it... good. /John Simm's the Master

&

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2013, 12:27:32 pm »
I'd love to see McGann in the 50th. There are rumors going both ways, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.