Author Topic: Doctor Who General  (Read 58454 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Re: Doctor Who General
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2013, 10:23:26 am »
So apparently it's a blue building. Or it could be a TARDIS disguised as a blue building and it belongs to The Master, who killed Van Gogh after The Doctor and Amy visited him. Mmhmm.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2013, 12:26:12 am »
That doesn't seem Master-esque to me.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2013, 10:01:51 am »
Alright then, it's the Rani :P

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2013, 02:37:13 pm »
Maybe it's good ol' Drax!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2013, 02:41:53 pm »
Maybe it's good ol' Drax!

What if it's Thrax?

(click to show/hide)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2013, 02:43:16 pm »
Then he'd be too small to see. :p

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2013, 07:01:19 pm »
In case anybody is interested, somebody on DailyMotion is putting up Who episodes, including reconstructions here

I've heard good things about Power of the Daleks, gonna have to check that one out.

EDIT: Apparently tumblr threw one of its shit-fits when Neil Gaiman stated an opinion on the 12th doctor and now he's declining to talk more of the show on the site
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 02:19:33 am by Dakota Bob »

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2013, 04:38:19 am »
Heh. Same thing happened with the writer of Pacific Rim when it came to Vanessa Gottlieb.

I actually agreed with Neil's opinion on the 12th doctor and if people would have actually sat down and thought about it, then maybe they wouldn't have gotten their panties in a bunch.

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Patches

• Bishop
« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2013, 07:07:28 am »
Heh. Same thing happened with the writer of Pacific Rim when it came to Vanessa Gottlieb.

I actually agreed with Neil's opinion on the 12th doctor and if people would have actually sat down and thought about it, then maybe they wouldn't have gotten their panties in a bunch.

Yeeeah, while I have no problem with the Doctor being a woman in theory, I don't trust the majority of writers, including Moffat, to write her effectively.  Most of the reason people are wary of female characters is the fact that writers tend to box them in to a few very limited archetypes, so they come to believe any female character will naturally HAVE to conform to one of those limited roles.  If, say, one of the "My Little Pony" writers was writing her, on the other hand, I wouldn't have nearly as much of a problem, since they've at least proven that they can write female characters who are neither primarily there for sex appeal and can have motives and abilities beyond "getting a man and deferring all decisions to him".

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2013, 07:43:47 am »
*especially Moffat. :P

&

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2013, 02:28:18 pm »
What we need is another badass tribal woman in a skimpy leather costume.

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2013, 04:58:20 pm »
Leela was pretty kickass, wasn't she?

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2013, 07:26:31 pm »
Yeah, Leela was pretty fucking badass.

Rewatching "Nightmare in Silver" made me think about how the Cybermen were portrayed in NuWho, and while I quite liked "Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel" I think it's pretty sad they've been reduced to stompy catchphrase robots. The Cybermen are my favorite villains, I loved the way they were portrayed in the classic series (Maybe except in "Revenge of the Cybermen") from the creepy sing-song voices and monotone buzzing of the black and white era to the underlying smug tone of the 80's (even if they were supposed to be emotionless, the guy who played the Cyber Leader was fantastic) and their more human like movement emphasizing that there were human beings (or part of) under the metal armour.  I'll acknowledge that the serials they featured in during the late 80's aren't impressive, I generally prefer their characterization to the newer version.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2013, 07:40:25 pm »
Yeeeah, while I have no problem with the Doctor being a woman in theory, I don't trust the majority of writers, including Moffat, to write her effectively.  Most of the reason people are wary of female characters is the fact that writers tend to box them in to a few very limited archetypes, so they come to believe any female character will naturally HAVE to conform to one of those limited roles.  If, say, one of the "My Little Pony" writers was writing her, on the other hand, I wouldn't have nearly as much of a problem, since they've at least proven that they can write female characters who are neither primarily there for sex appeal and can have motives and abilities beyond "getting a man and deferring all decisions to him".

A My Little Pony writer over Moffat?  Is this a joke...are you high?
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Patches

• Bishop
« Reply #89 on: September 18, 2013, 10:08:54 pm »

A My Little Pony writer over Moffat?  Is this a joke...are you high?

You tell me.  How about we have a little "My Little Pony vs. Moffat Female Characterization Showdown"?

Spoilered for length.
(click to show/hide)