Author Topic: Doctor Who General  (Read 58467 times)

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
Re: Doctor Who General
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2013, 02:17:49 am »
Leela was pretty kickass, wasn't she?

Louise Jameson is pretty badass too.

Tom Baker was so deadest against having such a violent character that he was often disrespected Jameson on set. According to her character's Wiki page there was an incident during filming of "Horror on Fang Rock" where he constantly upstaged her. So she insisted on doing the scene over and over again until Baker stopped acting like a little shit.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2013, 04:06:01 am »
Yeah... I've heard Tom was a bit difficult to work with at times.  Particularly for Louise Jameson.

Aside from that, I've read and heard he did a crapload of ad-libbing.  It's fun to watch, but hard to act with a habitual ad-libber if you don't know where and when you should talk.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 04:07:32 am by SpaceProg »

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2013, 06:02:03 pm »
I've think Tom has admitted as much in recent years. I imagine becoming the face of a franchise goes to your head pretty fast.

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2013, 06:12:03 pm »
Oh indeed.  From what I've gathered, he's mellowed quite a bit.  Still got that chaotic sense of humor though.

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
« Reply #94 on: September 20, 2013, 07:08:16 pm »
Weird. I think a post of mine got eaten. I could have sworn I made a post in here mentioning that the actress who played the second Romana was chosen because she and Tom Baker got along. Leela was always kick ass, sucks that her write out was so crappy.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #95 on: September 20, 2013, 08:12:11 pm »
I really, really love the New Who Master. Like... really love him. I love his arc, I love how John Simm plays him.

I've seen people mention they want to see the Master pop up again. I don't. And even if he did, I don't think John Simm should play him again. Even tho Simm himself has expressed desire to play the Master again and take him in a new direction.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2013, 08:24:29 pm »
They'll find a way to bring The Master back, tis just a matter of time.  Him and The Doctor are like two sides of the same coin, can't have one without the other.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2013, 08:39:40 pm »
You tell me.  How about we have a little "My Little Pony vs. Moffat Female Characterization Showdown"?

Spoilered for length.
(click to show/hide)

Stating wants and needs does not make a more well rounded character.  In Amy's case the whole point is that she is obsessed with the Doctor.  As time goes on she starts to want something more, we see her try different careers until at the end she finds one, she becomes a writer.  A character not know what they want and finding it is pretty realistic.

We also see that Amy, as much as she is enamored with the Doctor at the beginning is able to go against him and survive on her own.  So sure of her stance she risked the whole of Brittan to save a Star Whale.  Survived 30 year on her own, building a sonic screw driver in the process.

Now as far as River, well you forget that she is a professor of archaeology.  She also investigates strange happenings in time without the Doctor.  Yes she loves the Doctor and is willing to tear time apart for him, well more specifically willing to tear it apart so he will at least know how many people love him.  To do so she puts together a damn army, and leads it. 

Clara is strong enough to travel with the Doctor on her terms, one day a week.  We see her in multiply roles, a care giver, a leader.  We see this in a pretty short amount of time.

We see Moffat and the other writers make these very strong female character in a show setting that is focused on a male lead character.  That is much harder than writing female characters in a show with zero male lead characters. 
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2013, 10:39:46 pm »
At least Amy isn't Rose circa Series 2 and beyond..and a bit of her first series, too.  In the end, Amy stayed faithful to her original boyfriend/husband; Rose dropped Mickey like a dirty rag practically the moment #9 picked her up.  Rose was an asshole, and I'm glad Mickey moved on from her after he realized that.

[Paraphrasing their mindsets, from my point of view...]
Amy: "I'd love to have a roll in the hay with The Doctor, but I'm not leaving my boyfriend/husband for him."
Rose: "Mickey?  Who's that?  DOCTOR, I LERV YOU!"

If ya can't tell, yet, Rose annoyed the hell outta me, after her first series.  Glad the subsequent companions were a damn sight better than she was.

Also, having MLP writers do Doctor Who?  Please, tell me what you've been smoking that makes you think that'd be a good idea...might help me kill time, if nothin else.  One's a children's show about garishly-coloured ponies and the cliche "magic of friendship," and the other is Doctor Who.  The two should not be mingled outside fanfic.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2013, 11:38:06 pm »
They'll find a way to bring The Master back, tis just a matter of time.  Him and The Doctor are like two sides of the same coin, can't have one without the other.

I have a distinct problem with bringing back the same foe multiple times.

I got tired of it happening with the Daleks the second time in new Who. There's only so much you can cover with 'wibbly wobbly timey wimey'.

With that said... Since we're back on Moffat.

#No but it does #by painting Amy and River and Clara as ‘girls’ #Moffat puts them in positions with less power #He infantilizes them and reduces them to side-characters in their own stories #Because nothing about these ladies is about the #*them #it’s all about the Doctor #and how he reacts to the puzzles they supply #for god’s sake Amy’s pregnancy wasn’t even about her #It was about how the Doctor was going to figure out what was wrong with Amelia #Did you notice that when he’s worried about her #he calls her Amelia #he makes her a child again to remind her (and himself and the audience) of her real position: #as the girl who waited #THE GIRL #the CHILD he met first (via isilienelenihin)

Not to mention that the Doctor named Amy/Clara whereas Rose/Martha/Donna earned their titles.  It’s a subtle distinction because, technically, Amy “earned” her title by being a girl who did wait, but it’s the impact of these monikers that’s troubling.  Rose became the Bad Wolf when she ended the Time War, Martha became the woman who walked the Earth after saving the planet, and Donna was the most important woman in the universe because she saved it.  Both Amelia and Clara have been heroic and saved people, but their titles don’t reflect that.  Their titles reflect who they are to the Doctor—not who they are as individuals.

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2013, 12:00:48 am »
#No but it does #by painting Amy and River and Clara as ‘girls’ #Moffat puts them in positions with less power #He infantilizes them and reduces them to side-characters in their own stories #Because nothing about these ladies is about the #*them #it’s all about the Doctor #and how he reacts to the puzzles they supply #for god’s sake Amy’s pregnancy wasn’t even about her #It was about how the Doctor was going to figure out what was wrong with Amelia #Did you notice that when he’s worried about her #he calls her Amelia #he makes her a child again to remind her (and himself and the audience) of her real position: #as the girl who waited #THE GIRL #the CHILD he met first (via isilienelenihin)

Not to mention that the Doctor named Amy/Clara whereas Rose/Martha/Donna earned their titles.  It’s a subtle distinction because, technically, Amy “earned” her title by being a girl who did wait, but it’s the impact of these monikers that’s troubling.  Rose became the Bad Wolf when she ended the Time War, Martha became the woman who walked the Earth after saving the planet, and Donna was the most important woman in the universe because she saved it.  Both Amelia and Clara have been heroic and saved people, but their titles don’t reflect that.  Their titles reflect who they are to the Doctor—not who they are as individuals.
Everybody is caught in The Doctor's protagonist field. The companions exist to give us someone to relate to, not to be the protagonist. Sure, they've become more useful over the years, but they're still, in the end, there for normal people to have a normal person to relate to. Everybody is children and puzzles to The Doctor. Life is a puzzle to him, and only a few are more than children to him. However, he still respects the hell out of them, but in the end, he's a Time Lord. He's better than the others ever were, but he is still a smug, ancient, brilliant alien.

Additionally, The Doctor put them in all those situations. The Doctor made that all happen. Rose became the Bad Wolf because The Doctor picked her up and tossed her into the line of fire. That power not only almost killed her, but did kill Nine. Want to read into things? A woman gained power, did some good and then immediately ruined one man's life by trying to help him and caused another to have to die. How's that for "empowerment"? Martha only did that because she still loved The Doctor. She lived and fought for him. Donna, okay, sure, she actually was awesome. Rose and Martha? Fuck no.

Also, the titles reflecting who they are to The Doctor? That's because that is what Eleven does. That is part of his character flaws. He took all of Ten's emo, hid it away, and put so much "I'm so awesome" over it that it hurts everyone around him. The problem with the people who think that it's sexist is that they can't see the layers to the characters. Amy isn't just fiercely loyal, she inspires it in everyone she meets. She's crafty, smart, and just as feisty as Donna. Which reminds me, why is "feisty" being Donna's thing fine, but with Amy, it's sexist? Oh yeah, because people like one and don't like the other. She built herself a Sonic Screwdriver. Let me restate that. She built Time Lord technology. She built something that Time Lords have their TARDIS make. Also, it's not like Amy didn't do the same secretive stuff to The Doctor. He was secretive about the wibbly wobbly fetus of doom, and she was secretive about seeing his death. They both wanted to figure it out without the other. They both have sadness inside, and cover it up via projecting ego. Amy and The Doctor are more similar than people give them credit for.

Additionally, people keep giving her flak for being obsessed with The Doctor all her life. This is the dumbest complaint I have ever heard of. Ever. At all. Think back to your childhood. Now, imagine an alien crashed in your garden, ate fish fingers and custard, saved you from your personal boogyman, and promised to be right back and take you around the universe... and never returned. You would be just as obsessed. I know I would have. Think about it: Amy's got two friends. She's pretty smart. She's generally a good person, but is extremely unwilling to budge and what she sees as a slight against her. She also becomes obsessed with a single desire? Do you think this girl had a good time in school? I certainly don't. She likely turned to The Doctor even more so because, chances are, her personal life was not very good. Simple hero worship. You see it on Tumblr all the time. It's most of what Tumblr is. "Oh, if only The Doctor would show up and take me away from this miserable world." Amy is one of the legions of Internet fans, and they're horrified by their own reflection.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2013, 12:06:55 am »
I've always related more to the Doctor than any companion he's ever had.  Guess I'm just an old soul. ;)

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2013, 12:10:19 am »
I've always related more to the Doctor than any companion he's ever had.  Guess I'm just an old soul. ;)
Same. That's why I specified "for normal people".
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2013, 12:51:53 am »
We've been over most of this before but I really cannot contain myself in rebutting the hate on Martha.

Yeah, and I suppose Martha didn't do shit after the Doctor left did she?

Oh, wait. Yes she did. Finally got to be a doctor in her own right, dual work with UNIT and Torchwood, when she called the Doctor HE CAME ON THE FUCKING DOUBLE. And when River had to get his attention? She had to carve into a gorram mountain.

Martha was awesome on her own, same as Donna. Rose became the Bad Wolf because she creates herself and it was wibbly wobbly and the Doctor never told her to look into the Time Vortex. The Doctor never told her to open up the TARDIS. Shit on Rose if you want, but don't you dare say Martha was not a great person in her own right. Don't you dare say she wasn't an amazing character. Because she was.

My reaction, in essence, with Martha being paired with Rose:

Yeah, I'm firmly in the

« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 12:53:29 am by Booker DeWitt »

&

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2013, 12:58:28 am »
Same. That's why I specified "for normal people".

Ahhh... Gotcha. :D