Author Topic: Doctor Who General  (Read 58462 times)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Re: Doctor Who General
« Reply #255 on: November 28, 2013, 11:28:27 am »
Well... the Regeneration Limit was mentioned in Classic Who and a few sparse moments in New Who and then recanted by Neil Gaiman and the rest of the writers (Davies/Moffat). The Doctor never said anything about his max number. Simply that there was a limit. He did however sometimes mention what regeneration he was on. But, as we saw with Time Lord Victorious, with the Doctor being 'the last of the Time Lords' there aren't any rules anymore (or at the very least nobody to enforce the rules). The Doctor simply chooses to follow the rules laid down by Rassilon and the other Time Lords. And he imposed his own rules on himself for the safety of those around him. Paraphrased: "A good person doesn't need rules. You will soon learn why I have so many."

Along with that, the Master broke the so-called regeneration limit before the Doctor was close to it. Therefore it isn't necessarily a biological limit but more of a rule. Some people even say that John Simm was the Master's 15th form (but not necessarily regeneration number).

And then there's the fact of when you start counting. After the first regeneration or when you're born.

In regards to the Day of the Doctor, there still isn't much of an explanation for where the Master and Rassilon even are, or were, on the last day of the Last Great Time War. They were both there. The Master fled from the battle. This has been established many times in the show. Even if we account for wibbly wobbly and the star, there should have been something dealing with both of them. But I'm biased, probably.

As for Eccleston, he turned down the role with an explanation of it interrupting filming for Thor. But that couldn't really be true because Thor ended filming as the 50th was starting. There has been some rumors about why Chris only had one season which includes the fact that he didn't get along with the crew and Davies. And vice versa. And with that still hanging around, he declined to be in the 50th because the people he didn't get along with were still involved. It doesn't mean he didn't care about the show itself. Simply that the experience would have been tainted.

“I thought to remain, which would have made me a lot of money and given me huge visibility, the price I would have had to pay was to eat a lot of shit. I’m not being funny about that. I didn’t want to do that and it comes to the art of it, in a way. I feel that if you run your career and– we are vulnerable as actors and we are constantly humiliating ourselves auditioning. But if you allow that to go on, on a grand scale you will lose whatever it is about you and it will be present in your work." -Chris Eccleston

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #256 on: November 28, 2013, 11:33:03 am »
I remember reading from somewhere that the number of regenerations the Doctor is messed up due to TARDIS. Apparently TARDIS is special and due to his connection with it he has more regenerations than regular Time lords.

I think it was in some computer quiz I had about British shows like Dr. Who, Monty Python and Red dwarf. (At the time I had only watched Monty Python so I downloaded the quiz for that but tried the others as well.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #257 on: November 28, 2013, 11:53:28 am »
You mean his specific TARDIS? Because the Master had a TARDIS, too. As well as a whole slew of other Time Lords. The TARDIS of the Doctor isn't a one of a kind ship.

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #258 on: November 28, 2013, 02:10:05 pm »
You mean his specific TARDIS? Because the Master had a TARDIS, too. As well as a whole slew of other Time Lords. The TARDIS of the Doctor isn't a one of a kind ship.

Maybe, but it most certainly has a one-of-a-kind personality.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #259 on: November 28, 2013, 02:32:22 pm »

Maybe, but it most certainly has a one-of-a-kind personality.
I think it was that. But it was years ago when I read that tidbit and it might have been just fanon since the quiz was unnofficial. I just assumed that it had the facts straight but now after checking some wikis I can't find anything like it.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #260 on: November 28, 2013, 03:40:53 pm »
All TARDISes are organic and sentient to a point, though, so each tends to have their own personality to a degree.

Oh, and as for how many people saw Day of the Doctor on its original airing:

« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 04:59:54 pm by Booker DeWitt »

&

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #261 on: November 28, 2013, 06:12:50 pm »
Funny thing about the TARDIS anagram.  It was originally thought up by Susan, the Doctor's granddaughter, and TARDISes were called "Time Capsules" or "Capsules" by the other Time Lords.   Then, somehow, somewhen, it became THE name for all Time Lord time-and-space travelling vehicles.  Kinda like Coke in the South (Georgia in particular) for any canned/bottled carbonated beverage.

EDIT:  Oh, and the Doctor's TARDIS is female.  She's a "She".  Not an it.  Respect her personal choices! ;)

Silly little Town Called Mercy reference.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 06:16:25 pm by SpaceProg »

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #262 on: November 28, 2013, 08:25:28 pm »
The First Doctor actually claimed to have heard that acronym before Susan ever said it. But Time Lords are tricksy Gallifreyans.

Other Time Lords tended to use TT capsule (I think it meant Time Travel capsule).

What I want to know is which is correct Time and Relative Dimension in Space or Time and Relative Dimensions in Space. And I wonder if the 12th Doctor might outfit the TARDIS to become a war TARDIS. He might need it.

Wow, I am blabby today about shit nobody cares about.

&

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #263 on: November 28, 2013, 09:32:50 pm »
Hey, I care about it.  I loves me some Who talk.

In the comics there was a picture of a battle TARDIS.  Looked sort of like a capsule-ized version of a tank, green in color, armed with guns and stuff.   I only saw them in one comic, but I don't really consider the comics canon, though if anyone else does, it's cool.

As for "Dimension" and "Dimensions",  I've heard both for ages.  I think they're pretty much interchangeable. 

I kinda wish UNIT still stood what it used to stand for (United Nations Intelligence Task-force).  But upon the rebirth and continuation of DW, the actual United Nations said they didn't want any part of their name on there.   Guess if they didn't care back in the day, they care now.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #264 on: November 28, 2013, 10:09:42 pm »
Battle TARDISes, my bad. Not war. But the battle TARDISes were also mentioned in the audios which apparently are more canon than the comics.

Supposedly all of the actual Battle TARDISes were destroyed on the final day of the Second Great Time War. So the Doctor  would definitely have to convert his.

And Dimensions sounds better than Dimension.

&

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #265 on: November 28, 2013, 11:12:29 pm »
And Dimensions sounds better than Dimension.

I agree 100%.  That's the word I've always used.  Heck, he's been to more than one dimension/universe/whatever before (E-Space, Hyperspace,  Rickey not Mickey Space) in the TARDIS, so a plural would make more sense.  Meh, whatever.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #266 on: November 30, 2013, 04:41:25 am »
Whichever really. Neither one seems to be absolutely correct. It just depends on the person. One of the few times something can be left up to interpretation.

Re: The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot

I'm wondering how long the BBC and Moffat have held onto that one.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 04:31:39 pm by Booker DeWitt »

&

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #267 on: December 01, 2013, 02:39:44 am »
BTW, I wonder if Eccleston had agreed to come to the "Day of the Doctor" would he have played the role the "War Doctor" had? Or would it have still been a different Doctor fighting in the war?

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #268 on: December 01, 2013, 07:10:47 am »
I don't think so, in "Rose" it's implyed that he recently regenerated.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #269 on: December 01, 2013, 08:23:47 am »
So that poster...what's zapping the TARDIS?