Author Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic  (Read 568779 times)

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
« Reply #330 on: February 06, 2012, 02:40:39 am »
I apparently missed all the drama going down in 20 minutes or less... all I know is Shane got demoted, Nappy ragequit, and the thread about sugar kinda went off the rails... if we need to keep pony things to this thread for a while, then as the resident EqD member, I'll back this idea.  All in favor, raise a hoof.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #331 on: February 06, 2012, 02:52:41 am »
I just don't want to be hated. I changed my avatar, because I feel the others keep lumping all bronies together. I'm not the in your face type, I hardly post anything pony related on the other threads. And when people say insulting stuff about bronies in general, they're not only attacking the annoying ones, but the ones like myself, who are quiet.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #332 on: February 06, 2012, 03:00:42 am »
I can't speak for all the other non-pony fans, but I just want to say that I don't at all hate any of your guts. My only issue was the constant pony references and macroes in unrelated threads. As long as nobody goes overboard with that sort of stuff in non-pony topics, I'm happy.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #333 on: February 06, 2012, 03:08:14 am »
For what it's worth, I agree with Art despite any posts that may make it seem to the contrary. I don't hate anyone in the Pony fandom. I just dislike when things go overboard and topics need to be split off for the derailing.

Also in offering a point in doing what I ask of others, I'm going to scale back on my own L Word macros as much as I can.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #334 on: February 06, 2012, 03:09:56 am »
To your credit, Shane, your L Word macros, and you talking about it, have gotten me interested in wanting to watch the show... much like how friends being interested in pony got me into THIS fandom, come to think of it.  So thank you for that.  And you haven't used those macros very often, as memory serves.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #335 on: February 06, 2012, 03:14:29 am »
Well, I'm glad for that, at least. :) As for the macros, I think there was a point where I had posted more of them than I did actual text. But I won't derail you guys. ;)

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #336 on: February 06, 2012, 03:30:34 am »
Well, I'm glad for that, at least. :) As for the macros, I think there was a point where I had posted more of them than I did actual text. But I won't derail you guys. ;)

I'm not saying Rainbow Dash is a lesbian, but I can so see mashup memes of MLP and The L Word now.

The fandom does enough F/F shipping to begin with, even if it doesn't involve Dash, so...
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #337 on: February 06, 2012, 05:05:19 am »
Thirding what Art said, although I'm still tempted to try to turn the tables and derail this thread. ;)

That said, I'm curious about where the Pony hype is coming from. What is it about the show that's made it so popular? I don't at all mean this in a disparaging away, I'm simply curious about what it is that has gotten so many people this excited about the show. Whenever I've seen bits of it, it always just seemed like a typical child's cartoon, but perhaps there's something I've missed due to my admittedly limited exposure to the show. So... what draws you guys to it?

* Mlle Antéchrist being nosy.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline DarkfireTaimatsu

• Pope
  • Here be impies.
    • Taiblog
« Reply #338 on: February 06, 2012, 05:37:31 am »
I'm going to re-quote myself from the first page:

It's a great show because:
  • it doesn't bludgeon you over the head with its lessons, nor are the lessons the primary focus
  • it doesn't treat the target demographic like a bunch of idiots. It's a girls' show whose characters don't primarily focus on boys and fashion. (Rarity, the cast's executive-insisted fashionista, is much more a creator than a follower. She's an artist whose medium just happens to be clothing.)
  • the characters aren't one-dimensional
  • it has some really cute art and character designs
  • it's actually pretty funny
  • the voicework is excellent, especially the singing voices. And anything that regularly features the voice talents of Tara Strong can't be all bad.
  • Oh my crap, are those songs earworms.
  • Lauren Faust already knows her way around making good cartoons, being the wife of Craig McCracken (creator of The Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends)
  • the creators listen to and interact with their fans, and acknowledge the periphery demographic
  • it's not godawful like the '80s series. It's a reboot/relaunch/reinvention/remake done right.
A limerick:

There once was a unicorn who would shove
His rainbows around like a dove
"Always I'll be with you
And then make-believe with you
Harmony, Harmony, oh love"

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #339 on: February 06, 2012, 09:12:54 am »
How the hell did the episode make MLP ableist? I didn't get a single vibe of that.

I too liked the burglar suit.

Last Roundup.  People got bitchy at Hasbro for making Derpy... well, Derpy.  Suddenly it's a 'take that' against the retarded and somehow ableist.

No, I don't get it either.  As one of the other pre-readers put it on his blog post:  This is why we can't have nice things."

I don't see how it's in any way ableist to make a pony who is clumsy.  That's the only impression I got of Derpy: a well-meaning, clumsy pony.

Also, since pony avatars and posting pony in other boards is likely to cause trouble: if you have OC ponies, why not post a (reasonably-sized) image in this thread somewhere? :3  That way we can show off our horrifying abominations without annoying the non-bronies.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 09:15:30 am by TheL »
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline DarkfireTaimatsu

• Pope
  • Here be impies.
    • Taiblog
« Reply #340 on: February 06, 2012, 09:21:09 am »
How the hell did the episode make MLP ableist? I didn't get a single vibe of that.

Last Roundup.  People got bitchy at Hasbro for making Derpy... well, Derpy.  Suddenly it's a 'take that' against the retarded and somehow ableist.

No, I don't get it either.  As one of the other pre-readers put it on his blog post:  This is why we can't have nice things."

I don't see how it's in any way ableist to make a pony who is clumsy.  That's the only impression I got of Derpy: a well-meaning, clumsy pony.

Also, since pony avatars and posting pony in other boards is likely to cause trouble: if you have OC ponies, why not post a (reasonably-sized) image in this thread somewhere? :3  That way we can show off our horrifying abominations without annoying the non-bronies.

That was my impression of Derpy, too. She is still my... *counts* fourth favourite pony, and I own her T-shirt.

As for the other thing, here is me as pony:

[elaborate backstory omitted]
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 09:25:07 am by DarkfireTaimatsu »
A limerick:

There once was a unicorn who would shove
His rainbows around like a dove
"Always I'll be with you
And then make-believe with you
Harmony, Harmony, oh love"

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #341 on: February 06, 2012, 10:06:01 am »

It seems that the logic is as follows:

• Derpy is a ditzy and klutzy character
  • Therefore, Derpy is supposed to be mentally retarded.
  • Derpy’s mental illness is played for laughs.
  • Therefore, My Little Pony is making fun of people who are mentally ill.
  • Anyone who makes fun of the mentally ill is ableist.
  • Therefore, My Little Pony is ableist.
How being ditzy is the same as being mentally ill, I don’t know.
-A Pen Name

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #342 on: February 06, 2012, 10:34:30 am »
I look forward to the day I can post a response macro, like every other fandom does, and not have to try and ignore three, four, or five posts of "fucking bronies, leave that shit at the door." S'all I'm saying.

It seems that the logic is as follows:

• Derpy is a ditzy and klutzy character
  • Therefore, Derpy is supposed to be mentally retarded.
  • Derpy’s mental illness is played for laughs.
  • Therefore, My Little Pony is making fun of people who are mentally ill.
  • Anyone who makes fun of the mentally ill is ableist.
  • Therefore, My Little Pony is ableist.
How being ditzy is the same as being mentally ill, I don’t know.
A lot of issues would have been avoided if they went with the Ditzy Doo name. But I've been beating that name's drum for some time.

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #343 on: February 06, 2012, 10:37:16 am »
I look forward to the day I can post a response macro, like every other fandom does, and not have to try and ignore three, four, or five posts of "fucking bronies, leave that shit at the door." S'all I'm saying.
Oh, ye gods, is this all I want as well.
-A Pen Name

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #344 on: February 06, 2012, 10:59:06 am »
Thirding what Art said, although I'm still tempted to try to turn the tables and derail this thread. ;)

That said, I'm curious about where the Pony hype is coming from. What is it about the show that's made it so popular? I don't at all mean this in a disparaging away, I'm simply curious about what it is that has gotten so many people this excited about the show. Whenever I've seen bits of it, it always just seemed like a typical child's cartoon, but perhaps there's something I've missed due to my admittedly limited exposure to the show. So... what draws you guys to it?

* Mlle Antéchrist being nosy.

Missed this for some reason...

My basic reason for enjoying the show is that it's fun, light-hearted, yet filled with a self awareness that allows anyone to enjoy it. You either feel really happy watching it or you don't.

I'm willing to do what I've had to do in every fucking forum I go to - not participate in spreading my fandom like EVERYONE ELSE - but change our avatars? Seriously? Our fucking avatars? That's self-censoring I will not abide by. This is the fucking FUNDIES forum, and I will not be pushed around on it because some people don't like a kid's show. They have a right to ask I not put pony-related material in other threads, but they have no right whatsoever to regulate my avatar because it makes  them "uncomfortable".

Even something awful, which has banned ALL pony discussion, even their own threads, allows pony-related avatars. Just saying.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 11:07:03 am by e13 »

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...