Author Topic: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread  (Read 2068191 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread
« Reply #9045 on: May 18, 2014, 12:14:09 am »
No the artist is showing exactly what all these social justice movements actually do.

Ironbite-shit all nothing.
Political cartoons are the single laziest way to get a feel good morale high while doing nothing but sprouting gibberish.

Also, what does the artist suggest we do instead?
Political cartoons are social commentary, not activism. You should probably learn the difference.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #9046 on: May 18, 2014, 12:18:58 am »
No the artist is showing exactly what all these social justice movements actually do.

Political cartoons are the single laziest way to get a feel good morale high while doing nothing but sprouting gibberish.

I hate to feed the troll but what does a hash tag like #BringBackOurGirls actually accomplish in the long run of things?  Are the terrorists going to see millions of people exchanging these hashtags and think, "shit...we need to take these human slaves back cause this guy with like a million people following him put up a hashtag."  No.  They don't give a shit.  Likewise we see what a social justice movement actually entails.  There we see a woman about to be brutally attacked, perhaps even killed and all these people can do is do a hash tag.  It doesn't change the fact she's about to be seriously hurt perhaps killed.  It doesn't do anything to fix the problem at hand.  Likewise the aforementioned #BringBackOurGirls doesn't do anything at all to actually get those girls out of captivity.  That's what the social justice movements of today are like.  A whole lot of people actually saying absolutely nothing.

Ironbite-and that's a damn shame.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #9047 on: May 18, 2014, 01:15:45 am »

Political cartoons are social commentary, not activism. You should probably learn the difference.
Poor social commentary.
I hate to feed the troll but what does a hash tag like #BringBackOurGirls actually accomplish in the long run of things?  Are the terrorists going to see millions of people exchanging these hashtags and think, "shit...we need to take these human slaves back cause this guy with like a million people following him put up a hashtag."  No.  They don't give a shit.  Likewise we see what a social justice movement actually entails.  There we see a woman about to be brutally attacked, perhaps even killed and all these people can do is do a hash tag.  It doesn't change the fact she's about to be seriously hurt perhaps killed.  It doesn't do anything to fix the problem at hand.  Likewise the aforementioned #BringBackOurGirls doesn't do anything at all to actually get those girls out of captivity.  That's what the social justice movements of today are like.  A whole lot of people actually saying absolutely nothing.
I actually think the #cancelaregirls is stupid as well, I was referring to internet activism in general.

(In case you're wondering, the reason I'm suddenly being angry is because the cartoonist himself is a right wing jackass.)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 01:19:07 am by I am lizard »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #9048 on: May 18, 2014, 01:46:23 am »

Poor social commentary.
Depends on the cartoon. Though in this case, I'd say it's right on the money. Hashtag spam is about as likely to change the world as yelling at a brick wall.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #9049 on: May 18, 2014, 02:41:45 am »
Right wing jackass or not, a stopped clocked is still right twice a day.

As to social commentary: Spreading ideas and commenting on politics and social issues isn't actually a bad thing. We wouldn't have activism if it didn't start with people bitching about things being sucky the way they are.

The problem is when Twitter and Tumblr users mindlessly retweet/reblog vapid crap in a massive circle jerk, blocking anyone who disagrees with them without bothering to try to support their arguments and, y'know, actually convince people to come over to their way of thinking, and then act as if all of this preaching to the choir is genuine activism. It's a culture that promotes sitting behind your computer, feeling smug and superior under the delusion that you're changing the world every time you and your followers sit around agreeing with each other.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 02:43:40 am by The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist »
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #9050 on: May 18, 2014, 10:09:39 am »
Specifically, the cartoonist seems to be comparing all the internet "activists" who do nothing but hashtag to the people who stood by and did nothing while Kitty Genovese was murdered.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #9051 on: May 18, 2014, 12:14:23 pm »
K, though I still stand by my belief that Political cartoons are stupid.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9052 on: May 18, 2014, 01:52:56 pm »
Are we done now with this debate?

Good, because adventure awaits:

Adventure's call may come at any moment so be prepared.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #9053 on: May 18, 2014, 05:25:17 pm »

Offline Kain

• God
  • The Alkaline one
« Reply #9054 on: May 18, 2014, 08:21:07 pm »
In paranoia I find genius / But the ice-dreams have come
with spiritless consequence / A hatchet has been hidden
between my eyes / A hatchet gift-wrapped in paranoia / A
wooden heart never bleeds / A wooden heart never bleeds,
yet inextricable thoughts still weave / Introspection
fabricated for battle / No time has been wasted
/ Neuroleptic seconds marry electroconvulsive hours / In
the cranial freezer, paranoia is the bastard and I
find genius Petrify / Paralyze

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #9055 on: May 18, 2014, 10:28:43 pm »

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #9056 on: May 18, 2014, 10:43:51 pm »
I think this is long enough to warrant a spoiler.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 08:23:59 am by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #9057 on: May 19, 2014, 01:33:23 am »
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #9058 on: May 19, 2014, 03:01:32 am »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9059 on: May 20, 2014, 01:26:11 am »
Aren't you feeling a bit chilly mister? Oh what's that, you're just a statue? Ok then. (Wait, how did the statue talk?)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!