Author Topic: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread  (Read 2066011 times)

Offline Hoplite

• The Beast
Re: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread
« Reply #9825 on: October 13, 2014, 03:05:51 pm »
Good luck is nothing but being in shape to act with the universe when the universe says, "Now!" - John Gardner, The Sunlight Dialogues

Offline Hoplite

• The Beast
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 03:57:58 pm by Hoplite »
Good luck is nothing but being in shape to act with the universe when the universe says, "Now!" - John Gardner, The Sunlight Dialogues

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #9827 on: October 13, 2014, 04:34:59 pm »
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #9828 on: October 13, 2014, 04:46:40 pm »
That is a delightfully stupid comic.  I haven't seen a strawman that blatant since the last time I looked at a creationist comic.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 04:48:11 pm by Witchyjoshy »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #9829 on: October 13, 2014, 05:48:36 pm »
When was PZ Meyers accused of rape? Or am I missing something?

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #9830 on: October 13, 2014, 06:54:22 pm »
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #9831 on: October 13, 2014, 07:20:03 pm »
When was PZ Meyers accused of rape? Or am I missing something?

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2014/03/03/oh-lord-the-stupid/

I won’t meet privately with students either — I always keep my office door wide open, and when I’m working with students in the lab, I find excuses to move out and let them work on their own if it turns into a one-on-one event. I just can’t afford the risk.

I was also subject to accusations of harassment, once upon a time. A female student came into my lab when I was alone, unhappy about an exam grade, and openly threatened me — by going public with a story about a completely nonexistent sexual encounter right there.

Zoom, I was right out the door at that instant; asked a female grad student in the lab next door to sit with the student for a bit, and went straight to the chair of the department to explain the situation. I had to work fast, because I knew that if it turned into a he-said-she-said story, it wouldn’t matter that she was lying, it could get dragged out into an investigation that would easily destroy my career, no matter that I was innocent.

I was in a total panic, knowing full well how damaging that kind of accusation can be. Fortunately, I’d done the right thing by blowing it all wide open at the first hint of a threat, and getting witnesses on the spot.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #9832 on: October 13, 2014, 09:01:04 pm »
And the evidence that this is little more than a cute anecdote is non-existent.  On the other hand, the kinds of people who gobble that up are also the kinds of people that are most likely to believe that most rape cases are false claims.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Hoplite

• The Beast
« Reply #9833 on: October 13, 2014, 09:28:12 pm »
Just about how a confrontionalist would react to such a situation.

Reminds me of a show in Californication where Duchovny plays a temp writer professor, is screwing a student, a TA and the dean's wife. Class starts, and the 3 girls sit up front staring at him adoringly. They don't know about each other. Duchovny has to begin the class, and all he can do is scrawl on the blackboard, FUCK. Then the credits roll. Hollywood, though. In real life, it'd probably get ugly fast unless you regularly beat Casanova himself at poker every game.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #9834 on: October 13, 2014, 09:45:40 pm »
That is a delightfully stupid comic.  I haven't seen a strawman that blatant since the last time I looked at a creationist comic.

Speaking of stupid comics, am I the only one annoyed by images that have absolutely nothing to do with the slogans written on them? For instance, there's a lot of "protest signs" posted here that have the same exact image of a duck on them, and the various spectacled bear images like this one. In one instance, the duck even undermines its own anti-rape message.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 09:48:50 pm by Random Guy »

Offline Hoplite

• The Beast
« Reply #9835 on: October 13, 2014, 10:59:16 pm »
Maybe I don't get what you are saying, but the duck... at that time, there was a story going around the internet where someone wrote up a story with photos and videos where a dead mallard duck was being sodomized by another mallard duck. Hence that statement regardless of gender. You can find that one easily googling it with keywords like sodomizing dead duck.

The bear, I just dunno. Maybe using that meme to signify sadness as in what the hell sense.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #9836 on: October 14, 2014, 12:35:55 am »
The bear, I just dunno. Maybe using that meme to signify sadness as in what the hell sense.

I believe the bear is "awkward confession bear".
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #9837 on: October 14, 2014, 08:54:25 pm »
Maybe I don't get what you are saying, but the duck... at that time, there was a story going around the internet where someone wrote up a story with photos and videos where a dead mallard duck was being sodomized by another mallard duck. Hence that statement regardless of gender. You can find that one easily googling it with keywords like sodomizing dead duck.

There's actually an annual gay duck necrophilia day held on the spot where it happened.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #9838 on: October 15, 2014, 09:33:46 am »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #9839 on: October 15, 2014, 06:58:21 pm »

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 06:24:49 am by Art Vandelay »