Author Topic: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread  (Read 2067050 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread
« Reply #10185 on: January 19, 2015, 12:43:55 pm »
My reaction to people who ask 'when will I ever use this', quoted from Maddox:

Ever heard of Pascal's triangle? Or the Fibonacci sequence? How the square root of 2 was discovered? Do you know anything about the Pythagorean cult who discovered the "Pythagorean theorem"?

No, because you're too busy saying the same tired excuse every other dickhead spews out about math: "when will I ever use this in life?"

First of all, if you're leading your life in such a way that you never have to do math, congratulations, you are a donkey.

Why is math the only discipline that has to put up with this bullshit? People gladly learn art, music, literature and geography. You'll even nod like a happy idiot when you learn what a haiku is, and you never complain or whine about how you'll never use this in your "life." When is the last time you wrote a haiku, asshole?

But when it comes to math, everyone turns into a big pussy and starts PMSing all over the place. The walls, the flag, the teachers, everyone and everything gets splattered by your crimson twat water. Because suddenly you can predict the future and you know that for the next 70 or so years of your life, with 100% certainty, that you will never use math and that you can tune out and go back to doodling because you're too self-important to learn something that ancient people thought was important enough to pass down for your dumbass to learn from. It's far more important for you to practice writing your name or drawing hearts and stars, right?

Source here: http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=math

My response to that: art, music, literature, geography, and history are all parts of society that are used in your life whether you like it or not. People who have zero interest in math find themselves surrounded by these and have a need to understand them to fit in with society and understand simply their own culture, let alone other ones around the world. Math beyond a relatively basic level, however, sees little to no use by most people in society who do not have a job that requires applying more advanced math to. The prevalence of calculators allows for the jobs that do require regular usage of basic arithmetic to be performed quickly at a suitable speed for their employer.

A major part of the hatred many students have for math is because of poor education standards and attempts to literally force children to learn at a pace that they may not be comfortable with. The vast majority of what is learned in high school math classes (especially the more advanced ones) will actually see any form of use, let alone regular use, among a small minority of students in their adult lives. Whereas their humanities, literature, and art classes provide a better understanding of their culture and history (and provide knowledge that is likely to be used regularly throughout their lives even in casual conversation) and geography classes are vital to surviving in an increasingly global community, the forced standards of math classes after middle school only succeed in teaching complex formulae and rules that will literally not get used by the vast majority of the students who use it.

When people say "I will never use this", they don't mean basic arithmetic and counting like Maddox seems to claim. They mean knowledge that is only going to be necessary for people going into STEM fields. Maybe I understand this better than Maddox because I'm less than 5 years out of high school and 3 years out of college math classes and have clear memories of exactly what the content of all of my courses entailed, whereas his memories are clouded by the fog of 20 years of adulthood.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
  • I'm right, because I accept that I can be wrong.
« Reply #10186 on: January 19, 2015, 02:03:47 pm »
My reaction to people who ask 'when will I ever use this', quoted from Maddox:

Ever heard of Pascal's triangle? Or the Fibonacci sequence? How the square root of 2 was discovered? Do you know anything about the Pythagorean cult who discovered the "Pythagorean theorem"?

No, because you're too busy saying the same tired excuse every other dickhead spews out about math: "when will I ever use this in life?"

First of all, if you're leading your life in such a way that you never have to do math, congratulations, you are a donkey.

Why is math the only discipline that has to put up with this bullshit? People gladly learn art, music, literature and geography. You'll even nod like a happy idiot when you learn what a haiku is, and you never complain or whine about how you'll never use this in your "life." When is the last time you wrote a haiku, asshole?

But when it comes to math, everyone turns into a big pussy and starts PMSing all over the place. The walls, the flag, the teachers, everyone and everything gets splattered by your crimson twat water. Because suddenly you can predict the future and you know that for the next 70 or so years of your life, with 100% certainty, that you will never use math and that you can tune out and go back to doodling because you're too self-important to learn something that ancient people thought was important enough to pass down for your dumbass to learn from. It's far more important for you to practice writing your name or drawing hearts and stars, right?

Source here: http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=math

My response to that: art, music, literature, geography, and history are all parts of society that are used in your life whether you like it or not. People who have zero interest in math find themselves surrounded by these and have a need to understand them to fit in with society and understand simply their own culture, let alone other ones around the world. Math beyond a relatively basic level, however, sees little to no use by most people in society who do not have a job that requires applying more advanced math to. The prevalence of calculators allows for the jobs that do require regular usage of basic arithmetic to be performed quickly at a suitable speed for their employer.

A major part of the hatred many students have for math is because of poor education standards and attempts to literally force children to learn at a pace that they may not be comfortable with. The vast majority of what is learned in high school math classes (especially the more advanced ones) will actually see any form of use, let alone regular use, among a small minority of students in their adult lives. Whereas their humanities, literature, and art classes provide a better understanding of their culture and history (and provide knowledge that is likely to be used regularly throughout their lives even in casual conversation) and geography classes are vital to surviving in an increasingly global community, the forced standards of math classes after middle school only succeed in teaching complex formulae and rules that will literally not get used by the vast majority of the students who use it.

When people say "I will never use this", they don't mean basic arithmetic and counting like Maddox seems to claim. They mean knowledge that is only going to be necessary for people going into STEM fields. Maybe I understand this better than Maddox because I'm less than 5 years out of high school and 3 years out of college math classes and have clear memories of exactly what the content of all of my courses entailed, whereas his memories are clouded by the fog of 20 years of adulthood.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gK2EEwzjPQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gK2EEwzjPQ</a>

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #10187 on: January 19, 2015, 02:59:17 pm »
geography classes are vital to surviving in an increasingly global community, the forced standards of math classes after middle school only succeed in teaching complex formulae and rules that will literally not get used by the vast majority of the students who use it.

Advanced math is practical in much the same way geography and history are; there are manipulative people out there that assume we're ignorant about these subjects and they would gladly fuck us over. Leaving aside any practical application, math, like philosophy, gives you the tools to be a better thinker. It's popular to hate math in America because Americans live in an anti-intellectual society; that sentiment bleeds over into attacking public education and science funding.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #10188 on: January 19, 2015, 04:12:32 pm »
geography classes are vital to surviving in an increasingly global community, the forced standards of math classes after middle school only succeed in teaching complex formulae and rules that will literally not get used by the vast majority of the students who use it.

Advanced math is practical in much the same way geography and history are; there are manipulative people out there that assume we're ignorant about these subjects and they would gladly fuck us over. Leaving aside any practical application, math, like philosophy, gives you the tools to be a better thinker. It's popular to hate math in America because Americans live in an anti-intellectual society; that sentiment bleeds over into attacking public education and science funding.

I hate higher math because A) it wasn't taught in a way that helped me to understand, so it was a constant Sisyphean struggle, B) I've never had any use for it beyond the tests in school and C) I can honestly say it taught me nothing about being a better thinker, which probably ties back into both A and B. I have a lot of respect for people who can apply it practically, but I'm not one of them, and saying that I'm just too self-important and lazy to learn it, as Eiki-mun did, only cements my dislike more.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #10189 on: January 19, 2015, 05:03:49 pm »

My response to that is that I have no idea how your highschool classes in art, music and literature were, but mine were entirely worthless. Literature consisted of reading books, which I did in my own time before highschool, or saying things like "X symbolises Y" because that was what the textbook said X symbolised. Since in my adult life I don't actually go around looking what textbooks say is the symbol for something, this was not very useful (and even if I did, I'm sure I could have figured out the skill of "look up what other people have to say about this" on my own).

My art classes consisted of drawing, or making some crafts, or some such stuff. Even then it wasn't "how to build and draw", it was "here's a list of steps to do this thing in particular". My drawing nowadays is limited to diagrams and function plots and such, and nothing I learned in art class helped at all with that.

My music classes were "here's some music notation. Also, try to play this flute". I don't read music notation nowadays, and I don't play the flute.

How about geography and history and such? It's not like there's that many decisions in my life influenced by the list of successions of presidents during the 20th century, yet that was absolutely required material to pass history class. Sure, a general understanding of the forces that shaped the country is absolutely important, but as it turns out it's much easier to teach and test a list than a general understanding. Roughly similar reasoning applies for all my humanities classes (and, for that matter, most of my science classes. I just remember them better than my humanities classes, because that's how my brain is wired).

The only high school classes I have any confidence I remember almost all I was taught and use it with any regularity are physics and math, because I decided to study physics at uni.

I'm not saying: "All my art classes and most of what I learned in humanities classes was wasted on me, therefore they should be removed from the curriculum". I'm saying that the idea that high school humanities are generally useful and math only helps those that go on to STEM is ridiculous. Most of what you learn in high school is wasted on people who do not go on to be involved professionally in the relevant field, or at least have an independent interest in it. Math is not exceptional in that regard.

The general idea justifying this, as far as I can tell, is two-fold: take classes in a lot of stuff so you are exposed to various fields and can begin to figure out what you want to do later on with your life, and try to impress general patterns of thought rather than specific ideas. My humanities classes utterly failed to impress any general pattern on me, as apparently your math classes failed to do on you, probably because they were poorly taught (not an attack on your or my teachers; teaching properly to a large group of people is a hard and unsolved problem). But there absolutely is a general pattern of thought behind math, and if you can grasp it you can do a hell of a lot with it, no matter whether you actually use calculus or algebra in your life.

All that being said, everyone living in a modern democracy needs to learn some basic statistics. This is as important and day-to-day useful as basic arithmetic, even though it's not as easy and education fails at it as much as it fails on algebra.
Σא

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #10190 on: January 19, 2015, 05:58:59 pm »
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #10191 on: January 19, 2015, 06:01:12 pm »
...I feel bad for laughing at that...
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #10192 on: January 19, 2015, 06:29:43 pm »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #10193 on: January 19, 2015, 06:59:12 pm »

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #10194 on: January 19, 2015, 07:51:39 pm »
So Wales?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #10195 on: January 19, 2015, 08:17:56 pm »
...No, you're still thinking of sheep.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #10196 on: January 19, 2015, 08:24:52 pm »
Well then.....

Ironbite-*puts on hat and leaves through the door*

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10197 on: January 20, 2015, 12:25:15 pm »
Here we see how much 1000€ worth of cancer medicine costs to the poor wretches who live commie Europe:

(And because someone on Imgur already asked how much is that in FREEDOM units: Exactly "fuck you, you gon' die and leave your family with your crippling medical debt" dollars.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #10198 on: January 20, 2015, 06:52:59 pm »
So as far as I can tell from Wiktionary... you're getting reimbursed 994 whatevers and you only have to pay 6 whatevers?

That's damn cool.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10199 on: January 21, 2015, 12:23:35 am »
So as far as I can tell from Wiktionary... you're getting reimbursed 994 whatevers and you only have to pay 6 whatevers?

That's damn cool.
Yeah, there is always the "omavastuu" (basically it can be translated as "Your own responsibility") part that you have to pay. In that particular case it appears to be 3€ per dose. Sometimes it is higher and you might have to pay more than 50% of the medicine if you are buying a cheap medicine, but the goverment usually pays part of the bill. OR most as in this case.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!