Author Topic: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread  (Read 2073741 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread
« Reply #11505 on: July 12, 2016, 07:45:44 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #11506 on: July 16, 2016, 02:07:42 am »

This was published in a magazine in Finland (at the time part of Russia) during the Crimean war. The British were going to attack Russian holdings in Finland and wanted the civilians to think that they and their property was safe.

...As usual, the British lied. The first targets they attacked were warehouses with wood and tar that had been sold ...mainly to Britain. They showed up and did a lot of property damage, most of it to their own stuff.

Then they continued south attacking the cities along the coast until they were stopped at Kokkola when they lost the "skirmish of Halkokari" to a bunch of civilians and a few soldiers. The only British military vessel which is still captured is a boat in a Finnish museum.

Note that after the war the British government paid for the damages to Finnish civilians.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #11507 on: July 18, 2016, 06:44:51 am »

Suddenly, I feel like an evil playthrough of Fallout 3. Can't imagine why.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 08:38:24 pm by Art Vandelay »

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #11508 on: July 29, 2016, 01:01:31 am »
The noble art of fencing has had all kinds of techniques along the years. Here is one from an older, more civilized period:

...Well, I suppose it will surprise the opponent at the very least.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #11509 on: July 30, 2016, 04:42:31 pm »

« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 07:40:19 am by Askold »

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #11510 on: August 01, 2016, 03:29:59 pm »
Cruelty-free meat: Just like all other meat, we just put the sticker on it to make you feel better about yourself for buying it and justify our making three times as expensive.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #11511 on: August 01, 2016, 03:37:55 pm »
Cruelty-free meat: Just like all other meat, we just put the sticker on it to make you feel better about yourself for buying it and justify our making three times as expensive.

I'll have you know that there really are differences in how the farm animals are treated. I for one would be willing to only buy the meat that comes from farms that treat the animals well IF I could trust the labels to be correct. After finding out the stuff that goes behind things like Fair Trade I am slightly skeptical about "cruelty free" sticker being true.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #11512 on: August 01, 2016, 03:48:30 pm »

I'll have you know that there really are differences in how the farm animals are treated. I for one would be willing to only buy the meat that comes from farms that treat the animals well IF I could trust the labels to be correct. After finding out the stuff that goes behind things like Fair Trade I am slightly skeptical about "cruelty free" sticker being true.

In fairness, it might depend on the country. It's like "organic": some places have really strict, well-monitored regulations over what can be called organic, other places don't give a shit.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #11513 on: August 01, 2016, 04:06:49 pm »
Well, we do have companies getting in trouble over false advertising every now and then so it could be that the Finnish laws are a bit stricter over what you can claim about your products. (But I'm no expert on the issue.)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #11514 on: August 01, 2016, 04:09:31 pm »
Well, we do have companies getting in trouble over false advertising every now and then so it could be that the Finnish laws are a bit stricter over what you can claim about your products. (But I'm no expert on the issue.)

Someone who used to work security in the Yellowknife airport informed me that the only difference between regular diamonds and "conflict free" diamonds is that the "conflict free" ones have a label. They all come from the same mines, mined by the same people, in the same way.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #11515 on: August 02, 2016, 11:12:30 pm »

This image so needs a caption.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #11516 on: August 02, 2016, 11:25:11 pm »
Possible caption -Yeah, these are mine now, thanks lady-
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Art Vandelay

« Reply #11517 on: August 02, 2016, 11:27:07 pm »
"Alright, time to fire up the mincer. We're having burgers for dinner."

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #11518 on: August 03, 2016, 12:08:47 am »
"I'm still the most immature person here."

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #11519 on: August 03, 2016, 12:48:22 am »

« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 12:52:30 am by Askold »